Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Florida beach recommendation, please (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/florida-beach-recommendation-please-1161577/)

sailingsailing Dec 1st, 2016 04:11 PM

Florida beach recommendation, please

My husband I are planning a visit to Florida in mid-February. We would like to avoid Spring Break crowds and find a nice beach. Any suggestions are appreciated!

NeoPatrick Dec 1st, 2016 04:23 PM

Budget? If not an issue, go to Naples. Wide, pristine, uncrowned beaches, great restaurants, upscale shopping, and no spring breakers. Also one of the warmest spots in Florida in February.

NeoPatrick Dec 1st, 2016 04:24 PM

Uncrowded, why does spellcheck change that to uncrowned?

gail Dec 1st, 2016 06:06 PM

Two cautions. First, I used to go to south Florida (around West Palm Beach) each February to visit my brother. At least half the time it was too cold for beach weather. Windy, 60s - certainly better than my Boston, but not beach weather.

Second, while you can avoid much of Spring Break crowds by staying in more expensive locations, as a trade you get families with shrieking kids - many schools have the week of Presidents Day (2/20) off.

I might look at Sanibel area - not a Spring Break destination - and hope the weather is warm

Jhon_Carter Dec 1st, 2016 11:04 PM

America’s Florida Keys are a 120 mile long chain of tropical islands curving around the base of the Florida peninsula, connected to the mainland by a vastly long and much-filmed bridge. The main islands run from Key Largo, Islamadora, Marathon, Lower Keys and finally to Key West, the most distant and most famous island. Please go through the link given below

http://www.bugbog.com/beaches/best-a...-florida-keys/

Ackislander Dec 2nd, 2016 02:01 AM

The East Coast is a different proposition from the West Coast of Florida owing to prevailing winds.

I would go south of Ft Myers, I.e., Bonita Beach, Naples or Marco Island. Naples has higher end restaurants, an art museum, shopping, a symphony, etc. I would make an excursion to Miami and Miami Beach. You can do it in a long day but overnight is better. Drive across on US 41 through the northern edge of the Everglades.

The Keys are reliably warm but not to everyone's taste. You have to have the initiative to explore maps and read enough to get off the main drags, which can be dreadful. Key West is full of charming cottages and Art Cars (google) but you won't see them if you hang out on Duvall Street.

Venice and Sarasota both have many virtues, but they are not reliable for the beach before mid-March.

Ackislander Dec 2nd, 2016 02:04 AM

Oh, to clarify, February holidays are common only in New England. The rest of the country only gets a three day weekend. There will be lots of New Englanders in FL at this time, but that's lots of a fairly small base. Most of the country, particularly universities, do Spring hols early in March.

vincenzo32951 Dec 2nd, 2016 03:46 AM

If nice beaches are a priority, then Key West probably isn't the place for you. But, really, you're unlikely to get ideal beach weather in FL in Feb. While nothing is certain, figure on temps in the 60s.

Dukey1 Dec 2nd, 2016 03:53 AM

I live on the beach in Fort Lauderdale and can appreciate what has been said by others in terms of "nice" beaches, the average temperature, the "upscale" shopping and all the rest of it.

Personally, if I wanted a "guarantee" of what I think is a "nice" beach (other than the one I live on) and at that time of year, I would fly <B>further south</B> but to each their own.

gmoney Dec 2nd, 2016 04:49 AM

Mid Feb is not really spring break season as the weather can still get quite chilly depending on where you are. If you are looking for beautiful beaches that are great for strolling I might suggest Anna Maria Island.

garyt22 Dec 2nd, 2016 06:08 AM

Naples or South Miami Beach are your best options for the Florida beaches, but look into the US Virgin Islands... St Thomas/St John are tropical weather,great beaches and similar flights and packages on hotels....