COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

flights/cruises to hawaii stopped - virus ?

Old Mar 12th, 2020, 12:36 AM
Original Poster

flights/cruises to hawaii stopped - virus ?

i'm going from seattle to Honolulu in 2 weeks : is there any chance all flights/cruises will be cancelled ? thanks
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 03:29 AM

I think there would be a GOOD chance I would cancel personally!! You do know Washington is ground zero, I assume.
OUr son was in the LA airport yesterday and the international concourse was deserted, basically uninhabited.
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 05:05 AM
J62

Princess has cancelled all cruises for the next 60d, through May 10. I would expect other cruise lines to do the same.

https://www.princess.com/news/notice...ons-pause.html

Old Mar 12th, 2020, 07:24 AM

I have air tickets for Honolulu in mid-May. My carrier has said nothing about canceling the flights at least not yet. If you are "going from Seattle" I suspect you already know what is happening in that city. If not you should but that does not mean your flight will be cancelled and perhaps your airline doesn't even know yet. Have you contacted them at all?
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 08:59 AM

He says he's going in 2 weeks. I would bet not. But of course, the way to find out REALLY is to call the airline, as you say.
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 11:03 AM

Call the airlines??? Sorry but that's really funny. And Washington is not "ground zero".

All that said things are changing quickly. But no flights have been cancelled so far, nor airports closed.

Suze, in Seattle
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 11:49 AM

"And Washington is not "ground zero"."

In a way it is. There have been a total 38 deaths in the US so far and 30 of those have been in Washington state . . . the vast majority at ONE long term care facility in Kirkland. Washington and NY State have the most diagnosed cases followed by California.
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 11:59 AM

It gives NO one any pleasure in saying Washington is hardest hit so far. But it is the truth.
Our son was in LAX last night and the international terminal was empty. Flights ARE cancelled. I would be shocked if a cruise left or was allowed to leave Seattle.

https://www.usnews.com/news/photos/2...shington-state
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 01:46 PM

The OP asked the same question on the air travel board so my guess (just a guess) is s/he might be flying to HI and then taking a cruise through the islands?? If so, the cruise would most likely be cancelled but flying is still OK -- Maybe qmuddy will come back and clarify things
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 01:50 PM

People already under hospice care in a nursing home in Kirkland WA is what first made the news, That hardly makes us "ground zero". Those people were NOT going anywhere.
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 02:32 PM
mms

No, a Snohomish man was the first to make the news. He was treated at Providence in Everett. He had just returned from traveling. Anyway, yes, WA is ground zero for this. There are at least 10 nursing homes that have cases of this. All schools in King, Pierce and Snohomish counties are closing until April 24th at the earliest. I know 3 people in our neighborhood alone that have tested positive and are in self quarantine.
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 03:45 PM

Fine. You aren't ground zero. The rest of the country is apparently. Schools closed, colleges closed, sports closed.
BUT Washington is open. Good.
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 03:45 PM

I thought it was China.
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by suze View Post
People already under hospice care in a nursing home in Kirkland WA is what first made the news, That hardly makes us "ground zero". Those people were NOT going anywhere.

Just raw numbers of identified cases -- not fatalities -- WA and NY are 1, 2 followed by CA at #3. WA has both the most fatalities and the most cases of any state. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ses-in-us.html

Click on 'Cases in the US'
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 03:55 PM

I thought it was China

REally Suze. You really want to fight this to the end. We aren't blaming anyone. Just making sense of a question about a cruise from a heavily affected state of the UNITED STATES.
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 05:57 PM

It’s hard to say what will happen in two weeks since the situation changes daily. However, my very close friend found out just a few hours before her flight from SEA - MIA last night that her flight was canceled. She was luckily able to buy a last minute one way on another airline for $120, but it was a surprise to have the cancellation so close to scheduled departure. So is it possible some flights will be canceled? Yes, because it’s happening already. Will ALL flights be cancelled? Hard to say at this point.
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 06:11 PM

Aaaaand... in the <15 minutes since I posted my reply, I just had a personal flight canceled for Apr 16-Apr 20 from Seattle to Oakland. I was to be flying on JSX which is almost a semi-private jet (30 passengers, got round trip for $300 which seemed worth a splurge!). Not a major airline, but still an indication that there are no guarantees in travel right now.
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 07:43 PM

I’d be seriously worried about flight cancellations at this point. I was supposed to book two tickets this week, and decided not to—Seattle is shutting down, little by little. It’s not good news through the end of the month.

i don’t see WA as “ground zero” —there are apparently only 4 or 5 states with no confirmed cases. But, Suze, unfortunately, the state does see itself as ground zero, and the list of shutdowns is extensive. The next logical step will be shutting down shopping centers and SeaTac, unfortunately.
Old Mar 14th, 2020, 08:45 AM

Re "ground zero" -

As the coronavirus continues to spread around the world, Washington State has emerged as ground zero for the epidemic in the United States. Currently, the CDC is reporting that the state has 267 cases.

"It's probably not all that surprising since we are based on the West Coast that we ended up with patient one here in the U.S.," Dr. Amy Compton-Phillips, chief clinical officer for Providence St. Joseph Health, said during a HIMSS webinar yesterday.

https://www.mobihealthnews.com/news/...19-ground-zero

"Practical takeaways from America's COVID-19 ground zero"
Old Mar 14th, 2020, 10:04 AM

Lots of cruises are being cancelled and only an idiot would take a cruise at this point IMO. What that has to do with going to/from HI and Seattle, I don't know.

I can't think of why flights would be cancelled within the US unless some place had a major outbreak (eg, Hawaii, which doesn't now). I think it would be difficult to cancel flights from Seattle, even though the virus is more widespread there, because anyone from that area can just drive to another city, so that wouldn't be very effective.

Washington was"ground zero" within the US, it was the place of the first major outbreak, and the first confirmed US case. DOn't know what could be more ground zero. Of course it isn't ground zero for the world, that would be China.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO