Best time to travel to NYC between Dec-Mar?

Old Sep 11th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best time to travel to NYC between Dec-Mar?

Hubby and I are planning a trip to NYC for my 40th (in Dec) I was thinking of postponing to March to try and avoid the snow if possible simply because we will only have 4 days and I figured snow would slow us down.

Looking at 3/6-3/10 and staying at the Le Parker Meridien since rates are reasonable during these dates ($379/night). Waiting until April and they go up quite a bit.

We are interested in a broadway show, 9-11 memorial, shopping, possibly a concert at MSG and then likely some DDD spots for food.

If we have time I'd like to ice skate at RC or in CP and then do some touristy stiff like the ESB tour, etc. Not my first visit though so other than the completed 9-11 memorial I am up for skipping touristy stuff to take in more dining and night life, local type places...maybe even a club Thursday night.

Any recommendations on going in early March vs. just being there for my BDay on Dec 11? Any recommendations on must hit local places for food, night life?

Thanks!
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 09:34 AM

I don't think snow should be your main concern--it's unlikely that early in Dec, and still possible in early March. But price is a huge factor, as are crowds: even that early in December, there will be lots of holiday tourists in the city, driving up hotel rates, filling stores and restaurants, and occupying theater seats. March will be a lot quieter. All depends on whether you want to see NYC bustle at the holidays, or have a less crowded experience.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 09:47 AM

It doesn't really snow that much any more. YOu can't predict when it will, though, and it snows more in Jan-Feb. march should be safe, of course, and more moderate temps in general.

If it were me, I love theater and always have some specific performance in mind when I go. So I would first try to get good tickets for something I wanted to see, and book around that. This would go for performing arts, also. It sounds like you don't really care at all about what you see or which concert, in which case, that doesn't matter. But I wouldn't go in early December myself due to holiday crowds and possible expenses. But if you know the hotel rates and they are not bad, then, it's your choice.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks I didn't think about the holiday crowds, I would rather avoid those I have been in late October to early November and think March is more my speed. Good advice @Christina on finding the shows, etc. first. I will start looking. I have heard good things about Kinky Boots so I plan to look at that. Anything else you would recommend? Thanks!
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 10:14 AM

NYC is not in the snow belt - although you can (rarely) get a lot of snow. That can happen between Halloween (one year - but very rare) and late March (the blizzard of '88 left more than 2 feet).

Snow is not very likely in either Dec or March - but Dec will likely be: colder, incredibly crowded, much more expensive, but show the city at it's best for the holidays.

In march everything will still be brown and crunchy - no grass, leaves or flowers - and you will still need winter clothing. Prices will be lower but you miss the christmas fun.

I would do either Dec or late March (depending on how much price matters) above Jan or Feb.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 10:29 AM

It's much more likely to snow in March than in early December, just FYI. If it were me, I'd come in January or February for even cheaper prices and not much worse weather. The city can actually be quite beautiful for a few hours after a snowfall, and we don't tend to get that much snow anymore anyway.

But you'll want to avoid the whole Superbowl week, when prices will skyrocket. That's sometime in early February I think.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Forgot about SB...thanks, I'm not opposed to Jan-Feb. I'm thinking Wicked for the show we see and tickets are no problem this far out. I guess flight and hotel prices and really going to dictate the dates...I guess I'll start there Thanks all!