Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   flamingo pool in vegas (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/flamingo-pool-in-vegas-414377/)

stephen_ross Mar 23rd, 2004 09:09 AM

flamingo pool in vegas

I'm thinking of booking a stay at the Flamingo in April. How anyone stayed there before that can comment on the pool? Also, any recommendations on what rooms are the best?

salgal Mar 23rd, 2004 09:53 AM

The pool is quite nice. Was just renovated a few years ago. It's lagon style with waterfalls, etc. Lost of shade surrounding it. When we were there it was quite crowded (August) and looked like there was a bachelor party going on in the pool. Overall, pretty nice. Not sure if always this rowdy.

gail Mar 23rd, 2004 01:37 PM

We were also there last August - seating area around pool is small, but the pool is really a series of 3 connected pools - one with a mini water-slide and waterfall. Final largest section also had a bunch of drunk young men when we were there.

ltt Mar 23rd, 2004 01:39 PM

i was just there last week and agree that the pool was nice. went down around 2:00 pm and the chairs were all packed. it was hard for people to find two together and you are literally 3" apart from one another. the bummer was they hadn't hired a life guard yet so they wouldn't let anyone go in the water. this was during the recent heat wave. the smaller pool was less crowded and they were allowing swimming but it wasn't as sunny.

stephen_ross Mar 24th, 2004 09:11 AM

how were the rooms you guys stayed in? old, worn or fairly decent?

gail Mar 24th, 2004 10:52 AM

I would call our room a 3 (out of 5) - clean, basic, not overly worn, mediocre furnishings, view of parking garage. Hallway was old and tired. It was fine, but nothing to rave about. We stayed at Flamingo because of location, pool, and family member who loves both flamingoes and penguins. We only stayed one night, so it did not matter.

ellen_griswold Mar 24th, 2004 11:27 AM

Ditto to what gail said about the room decor, except our room faced the bellagio fountains. With full wall windows, it was a great view. The center strip location is ideal for exploring and the price was right. However, the pool was beyond chaotic and almost too busy to enjoy. We were only there for one night and i don't think i'd stay there again. On previous visits to vegas of one night each (as a stop on our 3 week cross country road trips) we had stayed at the mirage and mgm. If ever in vegas again i would choose one of them again, or try paris.

beachpup Mar 24th, 2004 12:30 PM

Was also there last week. T pool area is beautiful but the large pool was off limits for swimming - I was told the life guards season begins April 1. And the crowd was sooooo large that pool chairs were taken well before noon and yep: 3 inches apart - if that. Hey, it was March madness coupled with spring break)
The room I stayed in was recently refurbished - very well done, and I'd guess a little larger than the standard LV rooms in other hotels. Maybe a 3.5 out of five. (The hallways were also newly finished. Stayed in the north tower - 19th floor. And I'd stay there again.

ltt Mar 24th, 2004 01:59 PM

we had one room on the 12th floor and one on the 21st floor. we had paid extra to gaurantee a strip view and it was great overlooking ceasurs and we could see the fountains. i had to call housekeeping because the roof of my bathroom was disgusting but they were there within 15 minutes and other then that, i found the room clean and it didn't look "old" (it was NOT one of the most recently redecorated. i'd stay there again. down on the main floor towards the pool/restaurant areas you can buy pizza - thin crust which i don't usually like but was it ever good. i'd recommend that for a quick casual meal.

stephen_ross Mar 25th, 2004 06:19 AM

thanks for the info

gerolamy Apr 4th, 2004 06:07 AM

Stayed at the flamingo a year ago. The room we were in had stains on carpet and the chairs were worn. The smell in the hall near the side door entrance for the buses was terrible.