Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Flamenco Hoy at NY City Center 2/16-2/20 & Park Central Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/flamenco-hoy-at-ny-city-center-2-16-2-20-and-park-central-hotel-872547/)

amsdon Jan 8th, 2011 10:21 AM

Flamenco Hoy at NY City Center 2/16-2/20 & Park Central Hotel

Hi I usually don't venture far from the Europe/Spain forums but I wanted to share this. "Flamenco Hoy" is an authentic flamenco performance w/ Spanish artists taking place this Feb 16-20 @ NYCC. The director is the acclaimed Carlos Saura best known for his movie work, but this is live. Flamenco is not what you thing anylong is much changed and this is a highly regarded cast. http://www.nycitycenter.org/tickets/...nceNumber=5864

Just FYI I also booked the Park Central for my 4 day mini vaca coming from So Cal. I booked it with hotels.com and got their most affordable King room for $126.00 (Sunday $119.00) per room. I have read the mixed reviewes but chose it for it's close location to the NYCC. I wuld be interested in input on that please.

Aduchamp1 Jan 8th, 2011 11:22 AM

Hello Amsdon, I recognize you from the Spain board. If you are interested in Spanish food while in NY, I would recommend you go to Despana. They are on Broome Street and make the best chorizo I have tasted in the states. They also have a small selection of tapas from 11AM to either 6 or 7. They also import all sorts of Spanish provisions including Iberico and Serrano hams and many types of olive oil.

Casa Mono is a Mario Batali Spanish restaurant. Personally I think his food too fussy and over salted but there are those who like it.

Tia Pol has a combination of innovative and tarditional tapas. Very good

The tasca that most reminded of Spain has moved to Brooklyn and is called Xunta.

The full service Sapnish restaurants such as Sevilla and Fransico's Centro Vasco are disappointments.

There are a number of other tapas places that others like but we have not been to.

mclaurie Jan 8th, 2011 12:03 PM

Cleanliness is not something I am prepared to compromise on. In the past there have also been complaints of no hot water and clanging pipes. With hundreds of hotels in NYC, I'd rather stay a bit further away and be assured of something spotless. If budget is an issue and assuming you can cancel this booking, you can probably bid on Priceline and get a 4* hotel at that price although you might have to wait a bit for a win.

Radio City Apartments is $142/night plus tax on quikbook.com and while a budget option, I would prefer it to the Park Central.

Btw, quikbook has the Park Central for $112/night. If budget is less of an issue, the Blakely hotel is directly across the street from City Center and can be booked for $224/night if you prepay or $229 if you don't. Tax adds ~ 15%.

amsdon Jan 8th, 2011 08:20 PM

Thank you Mclaurine ...I am indeed concerned about the cleanliness....and yes I can cax up to 2/15 got 100% . I will certianly look up your suggestions, thank you.

Hi Adu of course I "know" you too! Thanks for the info I will check it out. Here in So cal there are very few (if any) good Spanish restaurants it is shameful!! We only have a few days though and also wanted to rey some of the food NYC is famous for...But I would love to try some of your suggestins...Mr Don had expressed an interest in Casa Monon I will give him your feedback.I prefer something less known an just better food if that is the case..Thanks again!

Aduchamp1 Jan 9th, 2011 12:05 AM

Enjoy your stay in NY.

awygn Jan 9th, 2011 07:41 AM

I have this event on my list of things to do and see for the year of 2011.

Thanks

amsdon Jan 9th, 2011 09:01 AM

Awygn are you a flamenco fan?

awygn Jan 9th, 2011 09:13 AM

Amsdon, Yes, a very big fan of Flanenco and The Tango. The movements and stories that are told in the dance is wonderful.

Awayagain(Awygn)

amsdon Jan 10th, 2011 04:47 AM

Well thanks again guys, Mclaurie I cancelled the orig res @ Park Central, & made one at the Blakely.(They do not chg your cc in advance and the cancellation window is even better, 24 hrs prior to arrival. They were very nice and I reserved a king bed with continental brekfast daily in the adjacent restaurant, 1 of night $249, the other nights $229 total 5 nights. I booked directly w/ hotel they gave me a weekend special.

Awygn I hope you and perhaps some of the Fodorites see and hear this particular show is one of a kind and packed with great artists. In particular I am looking forward to the contrasts between the new and the old. I think some of the current flamenco sounds may surprise people,

1. The old school interpretation intended as a nod to the pure Trianeras seen dancing at home in their courtyards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_b2AhQ0ZbQ

2, The new sound of pianist Chano Dominguez http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqcHg...uoZ_4Q_cswDejF http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNnhN...uoZ_4Q_cswDejF

ggreen Jan 10th, 2011 06:13 AM

In NYC and especially in the area of the Blakely, there's no reason to pay for breakfast within the hotel unless it happens to be your preference. There are loads of coffee and breakfast options in the area, from Starbucks and Pret A Manger to the ubiquitous coffee/bagel/donut street carts to the Klein supermarket to more upscale venues. A favorite of mine is Mangia on 57th Street: delicious take-away or sit at their little seats for breakfast pastries and good lunch options.

And I second Adu's recommendation of Despana. From what I recall, they also make sandwiches; in addition to the wonderful hams and cheeses, I like to buy the tinned products like stuffed olives that are such a taste of Spain! The shop is downtown in SoHo near Chinatown, so you could combine a visit with any sightseeing you might be doing there.

Adu, have you been to the tapas place that replaced Xunta on 1st Ave? I confess to not yet visiting Xunta's W'burg location, which is a shame because it was in regular rotation for me for so many many years...

Aduchamp1 Jan 10th, 2011 06:40 AM

Adu, have you been to the tapas place that replaced Xunta on 1st Ave? I confess to not yet visiting Xunta's W'burg location, which is a shame because it was in regular rotation for me for so many many years...

Xunta means borough or province in Gallego. (And for some who might not know is pronounced SHUN-ta.)

mclaurie Jan 10th, 2011 12:15 PM

I believe the Blakely includes daily cont. b/f with their room rate. I hope you enjoy your stay there. Much nicer than the Park Central.

amsdon Jan 10th, 2011 05:45 PM

Thanks all, I have already looked at the Desoana site after you firt mentioned it.

Mclaurie you again correct the continental breakfast is included in the price. I seems to include a pretty goo assorment of things...

Ggreen the breakfast we need asap in the am, DH is diabetic, and has to avoid those tempting doughnuts. When he does spurge in that way it's on fresh churros...Thanks again.

amsdon Jan 10th, 2011 05:46 PM

Oops typos.....eating and typing is not good sorry.

Aduchamp1 Jan 10th, 2011 09:13 PM

For churros, try Donut Plant on Grand Street and whatever you do, do not try the ones sold by street vendors.

amsdon Jan 12th, 2011 05:30 PM

One more question...how much $ approx will a taxi ride cost from JFK to the Blakely Hotwl in Manhattan/NY City Center?? We are pricing out a pvt car va Taxi.

Aduchamp1 Jan 12th, 2011 06:51 PM

There is a fixed price to and from Manhattan to JFK. It is $45 plus tip and any toll.

amsdon Jan 12th, 2011 08:11 PM

Thanks Adu!

Aduchamp1 Jan 13th, 2011 12:17 AM

No problem.

amsdon Feb 22nd, 2011 06:25 PM

Hey guys just got back and it was a fun 5 days.

Mclaurie the Blakely was very nice and we were so glad you recomended it. Thank you very much!

The location could not have been better for us (especially since I went to NYCC for Flamenco Hoy 3 times.) I think it may have taken us 10 steps to reach the lobby.
Secondly I have never slept in such a comfortable hotel bed as the one there. What an unexpected treat. The hotel was quiet and the accomodations very nice. The little mini kitchenette cme in handy w/ the fridge & microwave we used it for water, cheese, etc.
Thanks again for the rec.

ana maria