Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Flagstaff area (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/flagstaff-area-737310/)

Pam09 Sep 18th, 2007 12:27 PM

Flagstaff area

We have one day/night to spend in the Flagstaff area on our way to the Grand Canyon from Sedona. Any "must sees" or restaurant suggestions.

missypie Sep 18th, 2007 01:24 PM

Weather permitting, go out to Lowell Observatory for some star gazing. Fabulous!

Bill_H Sep 18th, 2007 01:34 PM

I would rather spend the extra day in either Sedona or at the Grand Canyon, and do Flagstaff as a day trip out of Sedona since it's so close if you drive up Oak Creek Canyon. Two premier tourist destinations two hours apart (GC, Sedona) with a not-so-premier destination between them.

Vttraveler Sep 18th, 2007 04:01 PM

We thought the collection at the Museum of Northern Arizona was excellent. Mostly Naive american archeology, history but also some geology and biology

When we were in Flagstaff last year the Walnut Canyon National monument was closed due to fire danger but we had planned to go there

As for Sedona vs. Flagstaff as a "premier" or "non premier" destination, we preferred Flagstaff

canyonjane Sep 18th, 2007 04:41 PM

When you leave Sedona and drive up Oak Creek Canyon toward Flagstaff, watch for the turnoff on your right that affords a dramatic overlook of Oak Creek Canyon. This overlook also provides a place where visitors can buy jewelry made by Native Americans who display their identification as Native Americans. The last I knew, who gets to have an assigned place at the overlook to sell on a given day is determined by lottery. The jewelry ranges from inexpensive trinkets to substantial pieces that are much more expensive. Whenever I go there, I always look for one particular Navajo silversmith whose distinctive work I admire. She isn't always there, though.

Once you get to Flagstaff, I also would highly recommend the Lowell Observatory.

If you need any equipment for your time at the Grand Canyon, there is an excellent outfitter in Flagstaff on the main drag called Peace Surplus.

Somehow I still have not been to the Museum of Northern Arizona, but I thank Vttraveler for the reminder. Maybe on my next trip to the canyon I can plan for enough time to stop there.

Jane

tovarich Sep 19th, 2007 04:42 AM

Great food and drink "Beaver street brewery" not far from the historic trainstation.Paul

laurieb_nyny Sep 19th, 2007 05:14 AM

Sunset Crater NM & Wupatki NM
Kachina Downtown Mexican Restaurant

happytourist Sep 19th, 2007 10:31 AM

The Arboretum at Flagstaff
Meteor Crater

bigtyke Sep 19th, 2007 01:18 PM

In Flagstaff itself, both the Lowell Observatary and the Museum of Northern Arizona are excellent (altho I think the museum is a little overpriced)

Just outside of Flagstaff, Walnut Canyon is a different type of Indian ruin. It doesn't take too long to visit, but is interesting. Somewhat of a strenuous hike (but a short one) to the ruins.

I love Sunset Crater and Wupatki and endorse that route to the Grand Canyhon. In Wupatki, don't just go to the main ruin (when you do go to the main ruin, go all the way down to the blow hole), but also visit the other sites. A couple are a mile or so off the main road, some are just on the side of the road.

Stop in Cameron at the Navajo store (the one run by the Navajos just as you enter town from the south) and also stop at the big trading post and have some fry bread before continuing to the GC.

MaryZ Sep 22nd, 2007 09:11 AM

I prefer Flagstaff to Sedona, too, and I make Sedona my 'day trip'.

In addition to the suggestions you've already gotten, Flagstaff has a nice downtown to wander through. Brix is an excellent restaurant.

CleoB Sep 23rd, 2007 05:37 PM

Hi Pam09,

If you are staying in Sedona, plan to drive up to Flagstaff via Oak Creek Canyon (45-60 minutes depending on traffic). Stop for a morning coffee and pastry at Macy's European coffee house on Beaver Street, just south of the tracks downtown. Very "earthy" atmosphere with many vegetarian/vegan/dairy-free pastry options and great people-watching. Beaver Street Brewery is just across the street for lunch or dinner and is quite popular. North of the tracks is downtown, with a number of galleries and sporting goods shops (among other types). Also some good restaurants near Heritage Square downtown: Cuvee 928 (wine bar and light meals), Pesto Brothers (italian), Pasto (italian), Monsoon (chinese), San Felipe's Cantina (fish tacos in a bar setting), and Charly's in the old Weatherford Hotel (try the Navajo tacos).

East of town (about 5-6 miles) off I-40 is Walnut Canyon National Monument. Over 200 steps down and into the ruins, which are quite fascinating. Back in town, take Highway 89 north to Sunset Crater and Wupatki ruins. You can drive this loop in an afternoon - be sure to get out of the car and wander around Wupatki down to the blow hole. Another nearby ruin, Wukoki, is also worth a visit.

If you like to hike, there are a couple of nice trails at the base of the ski area off Highway 180 north of town (on the way to the Grand Canyon). The road up to the ski area is 6 miles once you turn off Hwy 180, and you can park in the ski area lot to reach the trails. If you are here in early October the aspens will be changing color - spectacular!

The Cameron Trading Post is a good stop after visiting the GC - you need to turn left (north) on Hwy 89 and go about a mile - it's on the left. They have tons of native jewelry and good (huge) Navajo tacos there, too. We usually plan to finish our day hikes in the GC so that we can have dinner there before heading home.

Hope this helps - I'd be happy to provide more info on FLG, Sedona and the GC if you need it!