Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

FL Southwest Coast for young seniors next winter?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2017, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently got back from Southern CA where we stayed in 3 lodges and/or VRBOs within walking distance of good restaurants, shopping, etc. Looking for a few similar type places for next winter?? Youngish senior active couple have no need to be on beach but want safe, nice, not too touristy areas. Prefer to walk to restaurants. Will have a car. Any thoughts on two or three different locales from St. Petersburg to Naples appreciated!
Old Apr 9th, 2017, 05:52 PM

It might help to know where it was that you stayed in SoCal that you liked.
Old Apr 9th, 2017, 07:12 PM

And budget range...
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Stayed in 1906 Lodge in San Diego, a VRBO in Santa Monica and Cheshire Cat Inn in Santa Barbara... all just above $200/night. Thanks
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 06:51 AM

I also wondered that, as having lived in Southern California in LA area many years, and visiting other place,s of course, the wish list seemed a little contradictory (on the beach, lodge, walking distance to good shops and restaurants but not too touristy). So you were in very touristy places, it turns out, and liked them. Santa Monica is about the most touristy place in LA area, it seems to me nowadays (I used to live there but left when it started getting so bad).

Given that, you might enjoy some parts of Sarasota, such as on the keys--you can certainly walk to shops and restaurants around St Armands circle, for example, and it's on Lido Key.

Walking to restaurants in Florida isn't always that easy, just limits you a lot, but that location would work.
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 09:22 AM

You might also enjoy staying in downtown St. Pete or Anna Maria Island.
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input.. to clarify if I have not been clear... Coronado Island in San Diego is far calmer that downtown San Diego and we were able to walk for dinner. In Santa Monica, we were in a residential neighborhood but able to walk for dinner and in Santa Barbara, we also were in a residential area and able to walk for dinner. Not all touristy to us.. No need for beach at all... we actually live right on one outside of New York City. Will look at all suggestions... much appreciated. One obvious difference between CA in Feb/Mar and FL in the same period is one is in high season and the other is off season... Kinda have to accept that.
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 07:37 PM

For one of your stays, look at Mount Dora. It is inland, but is considered the New England of Florida - lots of trees, Victorian and Colonial homes, etc. It is very pretty.
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 04:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ordinarily I might suggest somewhere like Sanibel or Captiva but I remain a bit confused about your apparent desire to be on the FL Southwest Coast yet you keep saying that there is no need for beach at all.

Sanibel and Captiva can be wonderfully quiet but walking to restaurants would depend a great deal upon where you stay.

I was hoping somebody would suggest more possibilities regarding Naples and perhaps they still will so topping this for you.
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 05:24 AM

Can you ride bikes instead of walk?
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 09:19 AM

Good question, Fishee, and I understand why you are asking that, too.
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Permit some clarification, if I can. I have no need to be on a beach, but I do want to get out of the North East in the winter and find some nice weather. However, I know that the activities are abundant in SW Florida, i.e. museums, tours, walks, fishing, etc. It is nice to have a beach nearby but as we are not with children, and unlikely to sit on a beach and/or go swimming, we had no absolute need to be on the beach. I just assumed without that requirement, it might be bit less costly and we might find a nicer place to stay. Walking to restaurants not essential, but it was a nice way to spend an evening... a cocktail at our place, a walk to restaurants and a nice walk back. In the middle of the cold NE winter, that is really a great way to spend an evening. But it seems to me that the communities we stay in are more important. Thanks for your input... starting to look at your thoughts.
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 01:49 PM

OK, since I live in Florida I am now feeling forced to ask THIS question: why only southwest Florida? Have you considered the Keys and/or Key West?

I ask this since the real issue seems to be as much as anything, better weather than what you might be having at home.

I am not going to engage in any of the usual "which coast is the best coast?" stuff, however.
Old Apr 12th, 2017, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

A very reasonable question. Two answers: 1) ease of visiting one or two folks that live on West Coast and also a few more on East Coast and 2) Assumption that there is more to do... museums, gardens, everglades, etc. That is why we plan on 2 or 3 different places (north and then south). Is my thinking correct?

Thanks for asking.
Old Apr 12th, 2017, 10:02 AM

A great area for part of your stay would be at or near the Captiva Island Inn on Captiva... within two minutes walking are at least 5 different restaurants, the beach, the bay...ice cream, a convenience store and shops and galleries...

There are several cottage, B&B, hotel/motel and condo properties in the area, with price in the middle high to high-high range...

The Captiva Island Inn has several types of rentals so have a look at that first and concentrate on that location... have fun...
Old Apr 12th, 2017, 10:10 AM

I would consider Garyt22's suggestion. In terms of more to do/see Gulf vs Atlantic coast. IMO a LOT of that depends on exactly WHERE you are. No, as I said, I am not getting into a pissing contest between the people over in Sarasota and West Palm and Miami about which place has "more culture" not to mention those residing behind the walled fortress also known as Boca Raton.

Enjoy your visit wherever it takes you. Were I more wealthy than I am I can easily see living in one of those oceanfront mansions on Captiva or even the mansionettes; the place really is wonderful IMO.
Old Apr 13th, 2017, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all!!