Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   FL or CA in March/April? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/fl-or-ca-in-march-april-753166/)

lw2117 Dec 13th, 2007 04:19 PM

FL or CA in March/April?

My husband and I are looking to take a trip late March or early April. We want to go somewhere warm. Ideally we'd like to find a place with beautiful scenery where we are in enough of an urban area to walk to restaurants and shops. Any suggestions? We were debating between southern California and Sanibel or Marco Island in FL, but are open to other ideas. We've been to South Beach a million times and like the ability to talk everywhere but want something a little more laid-back. Thanks!

lw2117 Dec 13th, 2007 04:20 PM

Correction - we like being able to WALK everywhere in South Beach.

smartcookie Dec 13th, 2007 04:21 PM

how warm do you want it to be? "warm" is subjective depending on where you're coming from and what you're expecting. in general, Florida is much warmer during that time.

NeoPatrick Dec 13th, 2007 05:39 PM

You're not going to find many restaurants and other things to walk to on Marco Island or Sanibel. Those are not at all "urban" areas. The only place in that area would be staying right in Naples where you can walk to a large selection of places downtown -- but then you're very limited hotelwise and nothing on the beach allows you to walk to a lot. I personally think LaJolla (San Diego)sounds like what you're looking for.

xkenx Dec 14th, 2007 06:19 AM

"Warm" is not an operative word in CA in March-April. The Pacific Ocean temp. will be only 57-59 degrees. The best "scenery" places for walking are La Jolla and Laguna Beach, but each can be well-covered in a couple days. Carmel, and the Monterey Peninsula are well worth a trip. Carmel is one of the most charming delightful towns in America, very walkable, spectacular beach. But daytime temperatures only 50s and 60s.
You might consider combining Sanibel and Naples, with Sanibel very laid back--a Caribbean-like feel. Naples combines beach, two neighborhoods in Old Naples with lots of restaurants & shopping. Old Naples and Carmel are very similar in size and quaint feel, with every street leading to the ocean in a short walk. (except Naples will be 20 degrees warmer)

OO Dec 14th, 2007 06:46 AM

I think you want FL, but I don't consider Sanibel urban and you'll almost always have to drive to restaurants there. And being able to "talk" (LOL) everywhere in Miami Beach...I'd quibble with that! I dare you to try and talk in Larios. :) That's one place that is so loud you can't hear yourself think!!

You might think about Sarasota. If you stay close to St Armands Circle you can walk to some good restaurants, ice cream places and fun shopping.

J_Correa Dec 14th, 2007 10:25 AM

I agree with the others - for warm weather, I'd go to Florida. California is likely to be cool during that time - warm by Minnesota standards though ;)

On the other hand, if scenery is more important than warmth, the Monterey Penninsula would be a great choice.

Debi Dec 14th, 2007 10:28 AM

I love all your options - and the nice thing about either Marco Island or Sannibel is that you can conveniently drive to little quaint shopping places - but the beaches are spectacular!!!! I'd go for Florida.....

Jack Dec 14th, 2007 01:13 PM

If you are looking for "warm," Florida is your best bet. But personally I love San Diego. Temperatures will probably be in the 60s, rain fairly unlikely, and there are so many great things to see and do.

roy Dec 14th, 2007 05:56 PM

I have no experience with Ca but if you're going to the Fl west coast, the Sarasota area post is on the mark. But, there is a mass exodus of the oldsters from this area of Fl on April 1....WAIT FOR THAT and then go..end of March bad move..April is the best month there, weather terrific and much of the crowds are gone.

unique1 Dec 14th, 2007 07:51 PM

Since you are open to suggestion, my husband and I stayed for 5 nights in San Juan Puerto Rico in March. It was beautiful, warm enough to do snorkeling yet cool enough to do lots of walking. We stayed in a small hotel in a residential area--very safe. Last 2 days rented a car to see El Yunque rain forest. When we went a second time to Puerto Rico, we stayed at one of the big mega hotels which are all in a row--didn't have the same charm or feel to it.

Cali Dec 14th, 2007 09:28 PM

I agree that Fl might be warmer but CA is usually nice in Mar. and April. I live in CA so possibly I am prejudiced but I love San Diego, La Jolla and Laguna Beach. Nights in CA will definitely be cool even if the days are nice. Whatever you decide,
have fun.

trippinkpj Dec 14th, 2007 09:35 PM

If CA, I agree with San Diego and La Jolla.

lw2117 Dec 16th, 2007 10:04 AM

Thanks for all the tips - I think we're leaning towards CA now!