Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Fishing near San Diego? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/fishing-near-san-diego-842903/)

blrn1 Jun 2nd, 2010 02:48 AM

Fishing near San Diego?

I'm thinking of taking my husband to the San Diego area for a few days in early September, and one thing he LOVES to do is fish. I've looked at a couple of websites for sportfishing charters, but from what I can see, they take 50 or 75 people at a time.

Does anyone know of a charter company that does private1/2-day to full-day trips? I know it will cost much more, but I also know he'll enjoy himself much more if he's not on a boat with gobs of people.

FrankS Jun 2nd, 2010 05:02 AM

Early September is a REEL good time to go out on the cattle boats in So CA. You have a chance at Yellowtail and Barracuda runs for peanuts. You can catch 10 Yellowtail in 2 hrs. Other than that, you are looking upwards of $500 for a private charter, more for a spotter plane if you want big game fish. If you want that, go to Baja.

I know Oceanside harbor has some guys around $500, in Dana Point try Intimadator Sportfishing. They are a little more but worth it.

ksucat Jun 2nd, 2010 05:57 AM

lots of good quality fish are running in September.
We watch from our boat the Daily Double take off from Point Loma.
They always have tons of seagulls following them with their catch.
Highly recommended!

www.pointlomasportfishing.com

blrn1 Jun 2nd, 2010 09:00 AM

Thanks to both of you for the information!

ncounty Jun 2nd, 2010 11:22 AM

how much is it to do the cattle boats, Frank? and how do you do it? I've never heard of them.

FrankS Jun 2nd, 2010 01:08 PM

Ncounty
Dana Wharf Sportfishing at Dana Pt Harbor has several share boats(we callm cattle boats) that will take you out half three quarter and full day including bait. On Tuesdays they will take you out at half price which is less than $20 for the half day(5 hr) which is what we do.

Worst case scenerio is nothing is running and you get a scenic boat ride to San Onofre to catch Mackeral/Bonita and a few bass(sand and calico mostly). And if something is going on, they hear about it from their other boats and you can catch rockfish/halibut/yellowtail/barracuda etc whereever they are... I even caught a jackpot Black Sea bass on one of their boats
http://www.zerve.com/amp/view_activi...vent_id=470241

ncounty Jun 2nd, 2010 11:14 PM

wow, what a fantastic deal! i will definitely try it some time!

bigtyke Jun 3rd, 2010 07:05 AM

Check the fishing report in the paper to get an idea of what is being caught. Last year I checked every day I was in Carlsbad (1st two weeks of August) and the ships averaged only about 1 fish per person. I think it is too many seals.

FrankS Jun 3rd, 2010 12:24 PM

Wow?! one per person in August. Thats like a bumby Feb # Even on days when only Mackerel were biting, you could catch half a dozen. Of course most people throw those back, but there are always some salty old fisherman who keep theirs. At least enough to sway the average count up.

On those days we send the kids to the bottom with some Mackerel bait, and throw some anchoives on top of the kelp looking for a nice bass.

ksucat Jun 3rd, 2010 12:59 PM

you'll need a fishing license but there is something great about surf fishing..also, they fish off kayaks here too.
Gotta be careful on marine preserves but there are some great halibut and sea bass just waiting in the kelp beds.
Coronado islands off SD has half day and full day boats that go out for around $100-$200+.
Catalina Island has great fishing too.

blrn1 Jun 3rd, 2010 02:06 PM

ksucat: I was wondering how much of a hassle it would be for him to just get his license, gear, etc. and fish on his own...I was reading about Dixon Lake, and I know he loves to bass fish. (Plus it's close to Stone Brewing, right? That's the main attraction on this trip! ;) )

ksucat Jun 3rd, 2010 03:54 PM

I believe you can get all that at Dixon lake..check their website.
Stone has some damn good beer..the food needs to get better but they have a new chef.

FrankS Jun 4th, 2010 10:43 AM

When I go to CA, fishing in Escondido is the last thing on my mind.