Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Fisherman's Wharf hotels: Comfort Inn by the Bay or Econolodge?

Fisherman's Wharf hotels: Comfort Inn by the Bay or Econolodge?

Jun 9th, 2000, 07:51 PM
audra

Fisherman's Wharf hotels: Comfort Inn by the Bay or Econolodge?

Is anyone familiar with these two hotels? I've read that the area is safe and convenient - so which hotel is better, amenities, parking etc. We have it narrowed down to these two. Thanks!

Jun 13th, 2000, 05:10 AM
Carolyn

If memory serves, that area is very touristy and close to everything. Not quite sure of the safety factor.......... I'm not familiar with the specific hotels, however.

Jun 13th, 2000, 02:31 PM
david

I don't think that's a very good area, I'm afraid. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Jun 13th, 2000, 03:50 PM
kam

Audra, I don't know where Econolodge is but Comfort Inn is over at Van Ness and Lombard--not what I consider Fisherman's Wharf. It is, however, a perfectly acceptable part of the city, might be a bit noisy with traffic. If you want comparable prices in the Wharf area, Check the Travelodge at Fisherman's Wharf, The Tuscan Inn or the Wharf Inn.They all offer parking, but check to see if they charge extra for it. Fisherman's Wharf is quite touristy, but very convenient to what you probably want to see. It's a good place to bring children.

Jun 14th, 2000, 04:59 AM
audra

Thank you Kam! Is the Comfort Inn/Lombard St. area close enough to walk comfortabaly & safely to the Wharf and other attractions? Approx. how long of a walk is it? Thank you VERY much for your post!

Jun 14th, 2000, 05:12 AM
vosaki

It is a very long walk from Van Ness and Lombard to the Wharf. For whatever reason, many years ago, motels decided to congregate on Van Ness, that is its only claim to fame. There is nothing to interest a tourist around there. You'll be much better off around the Wharf, there are restaurants, shops and a cable car station. You can take the cable car to many other tourist areas. You want to stay out of your car as much as possible. Parking in SF is very expensive and often hard to find.

Jun 14th, 2000, 05:25 AM
Liz

Audra, We stayed a block away from Lombard/Van Ness and I wouldn't call it a long walk to the Wharf, maybe 15-20 minutes, and we felf comfortable doing it at night too. It depends on how much od a walker you are. Public transportation is readily available also.

Jun 14th, 2000, 06:12 AM
audra

Can anyone tell me about the Columbus Motor Inn, near the Wharf? First of all, IS it really within walking distance? It sounds very nice in the AAA book, but any additional info would be appreciated. Thank you!

Jun 14th, 2000, 07:43 AM
vosaki

There is a spotting map in your AAA Tour Book which will show you the precise location of your hotel. There are many close to the Wharf, and its all level walking.
If you stay at the Wharf you are within easy walking distance to restaurants, shops, maritime museums, and ship museums.
The cable car will take you directly to Union Square which is in the center of the city. Attractions within walking distance of Union Square will keep you busy for days.

Jun 19th, 2000, 11:52 AM
ellyn

We're considering the Columbus Motor Inn, too, and don't have the AAA spotting map. Can someone please tell us if it's ok, and if it's within walking distance?

Also, wasn't the Columbus Motor Inn discussed before on this board? I can't find it in search, though.

Thank you!!!!

Search this Thread