Search

fish market/groceries near Poipu, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish market/groceries near Poipu, etc.

Hello All,

I've been lurking and culling "pearls of wisdom" from this site for the past several months, looking for info to take with us on our upcoming first-time trip to Hawaii, specifically Kauai, for six days over Easter. I will be traveling with my wife and not-quite 3 y.o. son (beachbum in training) and will be staying in Poipu at Embassy Vacation Resorts.

Although any and all recommendations for a wonderful time would be sincerely appreciated, I am also looking for advice on where best to buy groceries and fresh fish. We are landlocked in the states and plan on attempting some serious seafood overload while on vacation. However, due to the little dude and financial constraints, we will be making many of our meals ourselves.

Over the following several weeks I plan on being shameless in soliciting advice from those of you with firsthand exposure to aloha spirit...so please, if you've got any thoughts, don't hold back.

Muhalo.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 07:31 PM

Shop at Sueoka Store in Koloa -- you'll feel like a true local.

Or head just a bit further into Koloa, and the recently-renovated Big Save grocery store.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 07:48 PM

Welcome fish!
There is a fish market in Koloa Town on the main street down the street from Lapperts.
-Bill
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 05:20 AM
Pauleah

Mahalo to all for "pearls of wisdom" that I have also culled.
Auntie Maria- I have shopped in Sueoka's and loved it, but where is the Big Save in Koloa?

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 05:27 AM

Big Save was just remodeled approx. a year ago and is to the east of Sueoka. They even have a Subway in the store. We tend to do most of our shopping at the grocery at the Kukui Grove Mall and the name just won't come to me. We stock up there for our 2 weeks and then go back to the Embassy and pull to the front and ask the bell boy to take it up to our room. If you have never been to the Embassy you will find out if could be a LONG walk hauling groceries. They will gladly take it up for you. Best advice I can give anyone staying at the Embassy.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks auntiemaria, Bill and Poipulady for the help on the provisioning front. Food's a central part of any vacation we take, so your help is sincerely appreciated. Also, I keep hearing that the Embassy parking is an issue, so the advice on getting help from resort staff may prove to be really handy.

By way of follow-up, what are your favorite "holes in the wall" restaurants? We are eclectic in our tastes, so all cuisines are welcome.

And finally, who does happy hour best in the South Shore area?
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 06:42 AM

fish,
Hamura's Saimin in Lihue qualifies as a "hole in the wall" and is a favorite of ours. It's a fun and funky place. If you go, order the "special" saimin, chicken skewers, deep fried won-tons, and lilikoi chiffon pie. YUM. You will waddle out very happy.

It's no hole in a wall, but we like to go to the bar at Keoki's Paradise in Poipu and order dinner. It's cheaper and more fun than eating in the restaurant part.
-Bill
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 07:07 AM

Definetly use the services of the staff at the Embassy! They will gladly serve you! Do you know what unit you will be in? We find Building 8 to be best for view and parking.

We like to eat at TomKats in Koloa. Another place I have heard is good and we haven't tried it yet is Puka Dog in Poipu Shopping Village. There is also a Pizza place called Brick Oven (not cheap) but fun - while you are waiting for your pizza they give the kids a piece of dough to play with. I do cooking in the condo when we first get there like make a pot of spagetti sauce and then I freeze part of it.

Your 3 year old will love the pool at the Embassy and so will you, very safe for the Kieki. Also, the Embassy does have what they call a pupu hour with mai tai's and snacks(great mai tai's if I may say so) Also, one night a week they throw a Hula show - don't miss it, I don't knonw if Nick Castillo still sings there but what a voice!
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:57 AM

Poipulady:
The grocery store at Kukui Grove is Star Market -- good stuff, but even pricier than Foodland in Princeville, IMHO.

And good news -- Nick Castillo's CD was released late last year...finally. He's one of our falsetto treasures!

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 09:19 AM

Yes, we have the CD -- it is wonderful! I have a wonderful picture of Nick with my daughter, on our last visit (April 2004) he was still employed by the Embassy as a concierge and my daughter was with him and another gentleman called Jason who also worked at the Embassy and I believe was names Employee of the year.

Star Market, yes that is it! If you are staying in the Poipu area or Lihue is is much closer than the Princeville area. We now stop there after we land and stock up. Maybe I am just use to this store? I like it better personally than Big Save in Koloa.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 09:27 AM

Oops that was Jacob!

I have a question now! How do you insert smiley faces?
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 01:10 PM

Here's the page that helps you insert everything from smiley faces, to martini glasses and beer steins <wave to Kal!!>:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/smileys/
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 02:37 PM

Mahalo Auntie!!!! #39;)
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Bill and Poipulady, thank you for your further suggestions. The fish joint in Lihue sounds like just our scene; can't wait to try it. Thanks also for more info on the Embassy, especially your comments regarding the little one. Thanks!