Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Wedding and honeymoon in Oct/Nov, need advice!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First I know it is already late to plan our honeymoon just a few weeks ahead, but we really don't want the rainy season to ruin our honeymoon.

I've read many wonderful posts here(maybe too many to make up my mind anymore). I hope people can give me some advice on the trip:

We will probably spend 8 days in Hawaii(10 days including the travel from the east coast). I am 30 and she is 29. We both like the beauty of the nature: secluded beaches, beautiful scenery, sunrise at Haleakala, living lava... However, my fiancee would be bored if we spend more than a day just lying on the beach. So I am trying to pack it with some activities: swim with dolphin, scuba diving, snorkeling(she doesn't even know how to swim though), maybe a night at a bar... oh, did I mention we want to hold our wedding there?

For food, we definitly want a couple of romantic dinners, but we don't care just grab a sandwich if we run for activities most of the time.

And since we don't know when will be our next trip to Hawaii, we hope not to miss the most famous places, like pearl harbor?

Am I asking too much?

Anyway, we think we probably want to visit 2 islands, Oahu+Maui or Oahu+Kauai? Spend 2-3 days on Oahu and the rest on the other, also hold our 2-person wedding at that island.

I am also trying to fit our trip in October. The dilemma is, on one hand, we both will have business trips in Europe that month and we will close our house purchase this week, it will be too stressful to put our honeymoon in between; on the other hand, I am worrying the rainy season will start in November, which might ruin our wedding and honeymoon, that would be the last thing I want to do.

And bridal dress, should I bring from mainland or rent one at Hawaii? Which is the more feasible way? My fiancee is an asian girl, 5'2'', is there a good tasty selection for her?

Many thanks on your advice! Maui vs Kauai; weather in Nov; bridal dress; activities; wedding package(I will probably use dolphindreamweddings.com if I go to Maui); or just anything!

Sloth
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 12:38 PM

Only "living lava" is on Big Island. If you are concerned with rain book hotels on the leeward sides of the islands. Wailea on Maui and Poipu on Kauai are very dry, and very nice. Can't advise you about Oahu. Contact wedding planning office at the hotel of your choice. They'll be infinitely helpful with the details.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 12:39 PM

First bit of advice: Since your fiancee doesn't know how to swim, perhaps you should eliminate swimming with dolphins, scuba diving and snorkeling.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 12:43 PM

Or insure her to the hilt.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 01:07 PM

re: the dress. What does your fiancee want to do? I think if you bring your dress, it will be guaranteed to fit the way she wants. however, renting will eliminate the hassle of bringing the dress over! There is a wide variety of rentals available through bridal shops and wedding companies like Watabe (altho that can be expensive).
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 01:24 PM

I got married on Kauai in the Fern Grotto 10 years ago. I used a wedding planner over there and she took care of everything. Flowers, video, still photography, cake, champagene, minister, etc. We even booked a luau through her. I can get you her name if you like. We flew in, rented my husbands tux, got our marriage license, etc. the day before. I took my wedding dress with me, but it was a simple knee length, off the shoulder design. I carried it on the plane in case they lost our luggage. It was beautiful, relaxing and fun. P.S. The video is gorgoeus.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 01:26 PM

ugh, you just gave me a headache. Give up now, pick a hotel, contact their wedding planner and give her/him a huge tip to plan it all.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Appreciate all the posts! Thanks for the help!

hmmm: It is a pity I can't visit 4 islands(not including small ones) in 8 days, so I will probably miss lava this time.

HowardR: but she would kill me if she couldn't swim with dolphin and do snorkeling, I doubt I can teach her swimming by then but I heard you could wear "floaties" if you can't swim. Is it true?

MelissaHI: I heard about "Watabe" too, do u know how expensive could it be?

Cindyrella: Thanks for the offer! I will send u email if we decide to go to Kauai.

swalter518: sorry for the headache!
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:30 PM

I actually don't know how expensive Watabe can be, just that they are expensive. um, you ARE hiring a wedding coordinator, right?
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:37 PM

I'm getting married on Kauai next Sept and am dealing with Weddings on Kaui - Kaye is the lady's name who is head of it. It will just be the 2 of us also and she has been so responsive and great. Other wedding planners actually sent me email telling me that Kaye was great and we would be very happy with her services (she is the photographer) and that she makes if feel special.

If you use the hotel people for your wedding it will cost you $1,000 or more just to have your wedding on their property. That includes nothing else - just the location. Then all of the other things, photographer, offical, flowers, coordinator are extra.

I have been researching my wedding and honeymoon on the internet and through the Reveal books since January.

I am having my dress sent to Kaye who will have it ironed and ready for me on my wedding day. If I send it a month ahead - I will know if she has it before we leave for Hawaii.

Good luck. And congratulations on your wedding.

Check out Princeville, go to "Stay" then "Weddings" then to "Private Dinners" - this looks like a beautiful place to have your wedding dinner - just the two of you!!!!

Have fun and let us hear from you after you get back.

[email protected]

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

MelissaHI: I THINK so. If I go to Maui, I will buy a package from dolphindreamweddings.com, otherwise, I will contact Kaye and Cindyrella for wedding on Kauai.

Nancy03: now I am thinking it could be late to ship the dress to Hawaii if we plan for October...
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 05:10 PM

You might want to consider purchasing a "snorkle vest" from a snorkle/dive shop. I have one that is inflatable, packs up very small & will definitely help with the non-swimmer issues.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 05:14 PM

This may sound dumb, but I have known some adults who cannot swim and have taken adult classes or a short session at like a YMCA or local pool (even at a friend's house you may know) to get used to it, so she is not overwhelmed by having to get in the ocean, put her face in etc. It really scares some people. I know you don't have alot of time, it was just a thought. Congratulations and have a wonderful time !!
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 07:18 PM

Try the Marriott Ihilani resort on the Dry West sile of the Island on the KoOlina lagoons. The have a quaint wedding chappel right on the ocean next to the hotel. Go here first, get married, see the sights on the island, hop over to Maui and relax.