Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

First Trip to NYC - Please Comment on Our 8-day Itineary

Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Hubby and I are planning our first trip to NYC in 2 weeks. Please let us know if our itinerary below looks doable and if our restaurant choices are good. All suggestions are welcomed! Thank you and we can't wait!

Day 1: Lunch at Great New York Noodletown, Sight see around China Town, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Dinner at Cafe Lalo

Day 2: PhotoTrek Tour, Lunch at Otto, Greenwich Village Walking Tour, Dessert at Magnolia Bakery, Sight see around SoHo, Dinner at The Odeon, sight see around TriBeCa, Empire State Building

Day 3: Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island Immigration Museum, Financial District Walking Tour, Sight see around South Street Seaport, Dinner at Bridge Cafe, Brooklyn Bridge, Dessert at Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory, Brooklyn Heights Promenade

Day 4: Good Morning America, Bargain shopping at Century 21, Loehmann, and H&M, Lunch at RUB BBQ, Sight see around Flatiron Building, Central Park (maybe zoo), Dinner at Queen of Sheba, Time Square

Day 5: Sight see NY Public Library, Grand Central Terminal, Chrysler Building, United Nations, Lunch at The Oak Room at The Plaza Hotel, 5th Avenue browsing, Dinner at Chez Naoleon, Enron Broadway

Day 6: Sight see around Lincoln Center, Chelsea and Meatpacking District Tour, sight see around Rockefeller Center, Dinner at 21 Club, Wicked Broadway

Day7: Breakfast at H&H Bagels, Sight see around Columbus Circle and Carnegie Hall, On Location Tour Central Park, The Dakota, Sex and the City 2 Movie

Day 8: Free Central Park Tour, Shake Shack
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 04:34 PM

I ask this in all sincerity - have you looked at a map of Manhattan?
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for responding, but I guess that means our schedule doesn't look doable! Yes, we have looked at a map of Manhattan and we have a NYC travel guide from both Fodor's and Frommer's.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 04:54 PM

Your plan really doesn;t work since you are bouncing around all over the city. You should group the sights so you spend the day in one area. the subway is quick - but a lot of the trips you will be taking are 30 minutes or so and why spend 1.5 hours on the subway rushing from area to area?

Also, you haven;treally allowed enough time for some sights (Chinatown then the Met in one day).

Also, do you have tickets for the Statue of Liberty - they sell out months in advance. If you don;t have them your best bet is to take the free Staten Island ferry to get a fairly close view. If you do have them you need to get to the ferry in plenty of time (the park service says to allow 45 minutes for the security line) and doing SoL and Ellis Island with ferries to and fro will take about 7 hours.

As for restaurants some I wouldn't touch with a barge pole (BBQ is NOT a New York thing) and for a splurge there are much better places IMHO than 21.

Agree you need to get a good map, locate the things you want to see and grouping them. You also need to allow for weather - if you get rain you'll want a day of indoor stuff -not Central Park. Also - get a good subway map, locate you hotel and the nearby stops so you're familiar with your transit options.

Finally I would do Top of the Rock versus the ESB - which usually has awful lines.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 04:55 PM

Where did you get the restaurant suggestions?

For example H & H has no tables for breakfast.

Noodletown is slap dash place with communal tables.

21 Club, it is very haughty. I must admit I have never eaten there but those that have have left unimpressed.

Odeon is fine but nothing special.

There are better pizza places than Otto and better cupcake places than Magnolia.

and SF3707 asks a reasonable question.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 06:52 PM

Day 2 are you taking 2 walking tours and then doing all that "sightseeing" in the other neighborhoods?

Others have already questioned day 3

Day 5 isn't bad - Day 6 makes no sense

You seem to be paying for lots of group walking tours and then giving yourselves major walks to do.
or are you planning on taxi ing all over?

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 07:58 PM

I gotta say, my eyes are crossing just reading this. Most of Day 1 I would just spend at the Museum. Go on a highlights tour. Have an overpriced snack on the rooftop and take pictures. Allow yourself to get lost and discover something interesting. Sit on the steps and people watch. Consider the risk vs. reward of getting a hot dog from the street vendor. Check out the street side artists. Walk to Central Park. Then go for a great meal on the Upper East Side.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 05:56 AM

Go to maps.google.com and start typing in some of your schedule to get an idea of distances. Day 1 has you in Chinatown all the way downtown, Met Museum all the way uptown on the east side and then dinner at Cafe Lalo (which is just a small cafe and more a breakfast, lunch, tea kinda place) on the upper west side. What day of the week is day 1? Where are you staying??
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 06:23 AM

"BBQ is NOT a New York thing"

BBQ is very much a New York thing. BBQ is very very hot these days in NYC with new restaurants popping up all the time and has always been a mainstay.

I agree you are bouncing around a lot. You seem to want a lot of "NYC experiences" but haven't left much room to relax and enjoy.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 07:32 AM

To be blunt, Day 7 is the only itinerary that makes sense geographically! Well, maybe Day 3 does, BUT you'll never be able do it all in one day.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 07:39 AM

Have you thought of setting aside a day for serendipity?

HTTY
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 11:08 AM

Sorry - as a native New Yorker NYC is NOT a BBQ place. There are cities that focus on little else (and people seem to love it - although I don;t get ti). It's true that it is becoming more popular her - but NYC is about bagels, deli, pizza, and every kind of ethnic food you can think of. We have good steaks, great seafood - but doing BBQ here is a mystery to me. (Sort of like looking for a luau here.)
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 01:15 PM

While New York may not "focus" on BBQ, there certainly are quality restaurants for that specialty, just like there are for just about all other types of food! And as you yourself (nytraveler) wrote, New York has "every kind of ethnic food you can think of."
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 06:52 PM

but doing BBQ here is a mystery to me.

Don't go to Harlem or Morningside Heights and say that. Or the 10 BBQ places in Chelsea.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 08:53 PM
mp

nytraveler you may be a native nyer but your opinion about BBQ in NYC is outdated.

In the past 5 years New York's BBQ reputation has soared - as have the number of very good BBQ places: Daisy May's, Hill Country, Blue Smoke, Fette Sau, Fatty Cue, RUB, Picknick, Rack and Soul, just to name a few. Yes of course, NYC is not KNOWN for BBQ, and it's not Lockhart Texas, or Kansas City, or Memphis. But it has some very good BBQ, and June 12th and 13th, it will host the 8th Annual Big Apple Barbeque Block Party in Madison Square, which in the last few years have attracted 100,000 rabid bbq fans EACH YEAR.

There is tons of great food that ny is known for. Bagels. Different ethnic foods. Hot dogs. And BBQ is climbing up the list.