Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   First trip to NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/first-trip-to-nyc-787057/)

Danabug May 29th, 2009 06:50 AM

First trip to NYC

Bringing my parents (in their 60's) to NYC for first and prob only time. Need help with itinerary. We want to for sure go to Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Ground Zero, Central Park. Do we need tickets for these? Do we buy in advance?? Any help is greatly appreciated. Anything else a must see??? Already have tickets to LIon King

Aduchamp1 May 29th, 2009 07:21 AM

Please go to the box at the top that says View By State and enter New York. You will see many posts that will answer your basic questions.

nytraveler May 29th, 2009 08:52 AM

You must get advance tickets - as in NOW - for the Sttue of Liberty and the ferry to get there. Try for the earliet trip of the day - sine the waiting lines, ferries, visit to the Statue and Ellis Island Immigrtion Museum (brilliant!) will take about 6 hours.

forget the Empire State Building - lines are horrendous - hours long - even with tickets. Instead buy advance timed tickets to Top of the Rock- IMHO better views and no hours wasted standing on line.

sf7307 May 29th, 2009 09:58 AM

<i>Instead buy advance timed tickets to Top of the Rock- IMHO better views and no hours wasted standing on line.</i>

And you get to see the ESB <i>from</i> Top of the Rock!

michelleNYC May 29th, 2009 10:30 AM

Re: "Ground Zero"... you don't buy tickets for anything as it is a construction site.

panecott May 29th, 2009 10:49 AM

If you want to go to the ESB, then by all means, go. The lines are often long but they move. I took my nephew last summer on a Saturday afternoon. The lines extended to outside on 5th Av and 33rd St. and it took less than an hour to get to the top. And we did not have advance tickets.
I've not yet been to the Top of the Rock, but it gets good reviews from most people who go. You might do one during the day and one at night for different views.

You don't need tickets to Central Park or Ground Zero, altho' there is a museum at the south end of Ground Zero, on Liberty St., which is worthwhile. There's also an exhibit on the rescue effort at St. Paul's Chapel. The entrance to the cemetery of St. Paul's is right across from GZ, on Vesey and Church Sts. The chapel entrance is on Broadway.

You haven't said how long you plan to stay or when you are coming.

SandyBrit May 30th, 2009 03:14 AM

Danabug:

Try www.hopstop.com for helpful information on walking/taxi/subway routes.

Many people enjoy walking over the Brooklyn Bridge, free and wonderful views of the city.

Do you need any suggestions on hotels?

When is your trip?

Sandy

Danabug Jun 1st, 2009 08:39 AM

Sorry trip is July 17-23. We are from Louisiana and therefore are used to really HOT temps.