First trip to NOLA post Katrina

Aug 31st, 2006, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

First trip to NOLA post Katrina

I love NOLA and was devastated with Katrina. I'm finally heading back down for a visit over the last weekend in October, not sure how I'll react when I get there. If I ever moved from my hometown, NOLA would be at the top of the list, except for the hurricanes. I visited on an average of 3 to 4 times year with the last visit being December 2004. Any big changes I should expect? Also, in reading some other recent posts I read of something called a glowing Bourbon Sreet Walkin drink, what exactly is that? I've never heard of it. I've always warned everyone about the hand grenades, how do they compare? Can't wait to get back to my favorite city.
Aug 31st, 2006, 02:28 PM

cathyjp7, sorry to hear you were devastated by Katrina. Do you own a home or a condo here? Yes, it was devastating for all residents, but the business and tourist aspects of N.O. are coming back more and more each day. Most things you are interested in will be open by October, even Commander's Palace. Not familiar with the drink you are asking about, sorry!
Sep 1st, 2006, 05:46 AM

Please take a look @ Snowroosters' as well as my recent trip reports. They may help. I have also been a big fan of NOLA & have been there probably 15X over the years. This trip, will be different.
Sep 1st, 2006, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Sorry to be confusing, BayouGirl, I wasn't financially devastated, just emotionally. I have no property there, just a love for the city, so even though I didn't lose anything tangible, I felt a loss to see it in such a shambles. Also, I think SnowRooster is the one who mentioned the drink in a previous post and I was curious as I'd never heard of it. I'll see if I can find the post and bring it to the top.
Sep 1st, 2006, 10:49 AM
Dan

Some people find the city much as they remember it, particularly if they purposely don't venture away from the French Quarter and downtown areas. Other parts of the city are still a long way from "normal" and look war-torn. It's hard to say what you'll find but I think you'll be relieved overall. The tourist infrastructure is, for the most part, fully intact!