Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   First Trip to Frisco! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/first-trip-to-frisco-250769/)

peter Aug 18th, 2002 03:26 PM

First Trip to Frisco!

Hi! I am about to make my first trip to Frisco, and I can't wait. Where do I get the best seafood at Fisherman's Wharf? Can I ride the cable car right to the wharf from my hotel? (Marriott Fisherman's Wharf). Also, I've heard Pier 39 is awesome. Any other suggestions on places to spend time?

skip Aug 18th, 2002 03:29 PM

.......next

kam Aug 18th, 2002 03:34 PM

Time for school to start.

katrina Aug 18th, 2002 03:45 PM

hi, i just went to san fran in march for first time in 20 years, with my two teenaged daughters. we had a blast. we stayed at hotel nikko, which had great rates on travelocity web site, even for the "Nikko FLoors rooms" (their concierge level) which included a full buffet breakfast bc the concierge lounge was not serving food all day like they sometimes do. (but the free buffet breakfast was more than worth it!) in any event, the best seafood is not really on the wharf, as the restaurants there tend to be very touristy. there are many of other great restaurants in san fran; i would go to the zagat website and look up which restaurants get a 23 or higher score for food. they also have lists of restaurants on the site by type of food, best bargains, most romantic, etc. i find the zagat guides have never really steered me wrong in any city in the country. and, i think your hotel is RIGHT at the wharf, but know that you can catch the cable car from near your hotel to the downtown area (union square) where the great shopping can be found (neiman marcus, nordstroms, saks, loehmann's, macys,polo, prada, etc, etc). make sure to get tickets ahead of time to go to alcatraz. otherwise, many days are already sold out and the ticket lines are incredible long...we also took a ferry from the wharf to a cute little town called tiburon, with beautiful views, cute stores and some very fine restaurants. we also took the BART (BAy area Rapid Transit) subway to Berkeley and checked out the stores and restaurants in the telegraph avenue area. another (but not so good trip) was taking the bus from union square to haight - ashbury which now has a gap in the middle of it in addition to the hippie stores. the SF museum of modern art is top notch (and you could take cable car to downtown/union square area and then walk the 5 or 6 blocks to art museum). so much to do there... good luck,

SEAMUS Aug 18th, 2002 04:04 PM

PLEASE------WE HAVE ASKED FOR YEARS NOW NOT TO BE CALLED "FRISCO". CAN<BR>'T YOU PLEASE GIVE US BREAK???? IT GRATES ON OUR NERVES SO BADLY THAT IT MAKES US REALLY HOSTILE TO TOURISTS.

janice Aug 18th, 2002 04:29 PM

You can walk from Marriott to Fisherman's wharf, 2 different cable car lines end within a block or 2 of that hotel. Dont miss Lombard Street, the crookedest street in the world. Ride cable cars and explore the city, try to go over the bridge to Sausaliot, tiburon , Marin highlands.

x Aug 18th, 2002 04:36 PM

You all fell for it, hook, line and sinker!! Shame shame.

xxx Aug 18th, 2002 04:37 PM

Do you not realize that the author "Peter Pennis" is just f-ing with you?!?!?! I can't believe these idiots bite on this lame troll bait! It's funny that the next thread in the list s "Why are americans so unintelligent" and though obviously also a troll, bears some significance when people are resonding seriously to this thread. I'm really losing confidence in the future of humanity.

ronald Aug 19th, 2002 05:54 AM

Also worth checking out Ocean Beach which beautiful this time of year.

lovesf Aug 19th, 2002 12:34 PM

I wouldn't miss Gihardelli Chocolate either!!