Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   First Trip to California (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/first-trip-to-california-111268/)

Bonnie Mar 10th, 2001 07:54 AM

First Trip to California

<BR>Hello fellow travelers- <BR> <BR>My husband and I are planning to visit California in July. We have been reading up on different sites to see and trying to decide where to stop between San Francisco and San Diego. We both love the Ocean and nature and plan to do this trip in two weeks. <BR> <BR>Any suggestions on where to stop and what to see? <BR> <BR> <BR>

Sarah Mar 10th, 2001 07:56 AM

Check out the bird estuary in Morro Bay. Also think about renting a kayak while you're there - the bay is a perfect sitting for a calm kayak ride and such a pretty backdrop for the morning. Just up the road in Cambria, Moonstone Beach is also a favorite of mine.

Bob Mar 10th, 2001 08:15 AM

I live in the SF Bay Area. You would be remiss not to spend some time on the Monterey Peninsula....Carmel, Monterey and Pacific Grove. Plenty to see and do plus great beaches to walk on. Down the road on HWY 1 is the Hearst castle, San Simeon, that is definitely worth a tour....reservations recommended in the summer. One cavet about the coast around Monterey in July: It will get cool and foggy as best weather is in Sept-January, so don't plan for a hot, sizzling LA type heat up north. You will get some cool. Any specific questions, email me.

terri Mar 10th, 2001 03:46 PM

A detour north to Muir Woods is well worth it. It's only about 30 minutes north of the bridge. Be sure to stop at the Pelican Inn on the way back. It is a true British pub, with 90% of it imported from England. After the twisty, turning roads coming back down the hill from Stinson Beach, it was a welcome site. <BR> <BR>Big Sur is terrific. Carmel is very pretty. If you do the 17-mile drive, stop in at the Lodge at Pebble Beach for a cocktail. Pacific Grove is great with lots of good restaurants.

James Mar 10th, 2001 04:00 PM

The Morro Bay kayaking idea is a good one, but make sure the tide is not going in or coming out at the time. The current can be horrendous and the experience anything but calm. If it is going out you could end up outside the breakwater.

Ken Mar 10th, 2001 06:12 PM

Don't miss Big Sur it is spectacular! <BR> <BR>If staying in Carmel (very pretty) check out Clint Eastwoods' hotel the Mission Ranch. It was unusual and very good.

Bonnie Mar 10th, 2001 08:48 PM

Thanks everyone for the advise on what to see and where to stop in Northern California we will try to see all of these places on our trip. we will most likely spend a few days in the carmel/monterey area and would like to stop 1 or 2 more times before arriving in San Diego. Any suggestions on where to stay overnight and what to see? Some stops we are considering are Santa Barbara, Santa Monica beach area, Newport beach area. Thanks again for your suggestions.

kam Mar 11th, 2001 11:41 AM

South of Cambria, I would plan to stop at Santa Barbara and then Laguna Beach before San Diego. Have a great trip.

Marcie Mar 11th, 2001 02:49 PM

I vote for a stop in Santa Barbara by all means. Also, Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, Balboa Island are nice cities to see (I especially like Laguna Beach). Freeway traffic can be terrible so you won't want to be travelling during rush hour in the mornings or evenings. Have a wonderful trip.

seamus Mar 11th, 2001 04:55 PM

Consider kayaking in Monterey Bay with the sea otters. Point Lobos just south of Carmel is a must see

Bedord Mar 21st, 2001 03:31 AM

While in the San Diego area, if you like parks, Balboa Park is a must. Has gallaries, zoos everything. Look it up on the web!. Also, a trip to the historic Coronado Hotel in Coronado is delightful.

Beachbabe Mar 25th, 2001 09:33 PM

A native New Yorker, I spend time in San Diego every summer.Stay at King's Inn, Hotel Circle if budget-minded; Surfer Motor Lodge,Pacific Beach(reservations a must and parking tight!)for a night directly on the beach and can walk,bike,blade to Mission Beach.Balboa Park a must!(Go to web site)mid-week free concerts. Save the Zoo for a cooler day.Gaslamp District and Wharf/Embarcadero fun & safe to stroll at night.Hotels pricey & make reservations! Airport Econolodge clean,cheap,convenient to Wharf but no frills.Spaghetti Factory was fun,good, and inexpensive eats.Peohi Restaurant on Coronado had breathtaking views of skyline at night & great food.Do Hollywood/Rodeo Dr/Beverly Hills in a day on the drive down;visit Santa Monica Boardwalk and Promenade(fun evening out w/dinner); spend couple hours strolling Venice Beach walkway for "unique street vendors".Early evening shopping/stroll streets of La Jolla (seals have taken over beach!)Coronado Hotel THE place to stay but big bucks.Can take train/ trolley/tour to Mexico-be careful.Lots of info on web & visitors bureau.Email if want specifics.Have fun!Did LA to Mexico through Mission Valley to Anaheim w/my kids last summer over 4 wks.Wonderful experience.This summer San Fran, Napa, Big Sur, & parts North.

Dean Mar 26th, 2001 05:24 AM

We took our first trip to Califonia last summer and loved the coastline around the Big Sur and Cambria area--beautiful. If you have time to drive east, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Park are beautiful too.

Jason Mar 26th, 2001 12:22 PM

Hey Bonnie, <BR> Since it is your first time in Cali, I'd recommend Monterey and Big Sur areas. You'll have alot of neat and beautiful sceneries there. Seventeen Mile Drive, the vineyards, Monterey Bay Aquarium, the beaches, and most importantly Highway 1!! NOTHING BUT COASTLINE....:) Enjoy your trip there!!

mitcie Mar 27th, 2001 11:01 AM

When you're in Monterey don't miss <BR>visiting Cannery Row and if you have time, go through the Monterey Bay Aquarium. There's nothing like it! <BR>For dinner I highly recommend The Sardine Factory on Cannery Row. A stroll down Ocean Ave. in Carmel is nice, too.

Tana Mar 27th, 2001 02:15 PM

I'm sure it's been said before, but here's my idea: go south from San Francisco on Highway 1 (avoid Highway 17 unless you have steel nerves and enjoy tailgaters). You'll pass through Santa Cruz, and you can see redwoods here in Henry Cowell Park. Then head south on Highway 1 to Monterey; you can see Elkhorn Slough, filled with waterfowl (and you can kayak there, if you've a mind). The Monterey Bay Aquarium is awesome; I've been a half dozen times and never get tired of it, especially with the "new" (3 years) glass wall that is the biggest under-ocean view in captivity. <BR> <BR>Big Sur is the most beautiful part of Californi. Though it will more than double your time to get to San Diego, it's worth it. It will be unforgettable for you. The views are incomparable, and you and your husband will no doubt cherish the solitude as an almost spiritual beckoning. <BR> <BR>If it were me, I'd skip LA altogether. Gak. <BR> <BR>North of San Francisco about an hour is Jenner, California, where the Russian River meets the Pacific Ocean. Here is a view of it: <BR>http://www.jennerinn.com/ <BR> <BR>I am a resident of the Monterey Bay area, as well, and cannot recommend it highly enough to people who seek more than Disneyland and McDonald's to constitute "recreation" in the sense of "re-creation." <BR> <BR>Cheers~

old bear Mar 27th, 2001 03:59 PM

Tana, are you for real? Please reread your post and try to figure out what you really mean to say.

Becky Mar 27th, 2001 05:40 PM

Unless you want ONLY ocean...don't forget Yosemite National Park! Also, compare Long Beach's new Aquarium of the Pacific, featuring colorful Pacific fish, whereas Monterey fish are local area fish only, and drab in color. See the Grand old Queen Mary while in Long Beach, and check out the beauty of Long Beach's revitalized and as yet undiscovered-by-the-masses shoreline. <BR>Also, while in San Diego, drive out to the end of Point Loma for an unforgettable city and bay view from on high.

Caitlin Mar 27th, 2001 07:08 PM

But Monterey Bay Aquarium has the awesome jellyfish exhibit. And the whole point of it is that it's a microcosm of the local marine habitat.

Pam Mar 27th, 2001 11:02 PM

Bonnie <BR> <BR>Santa Barbara is a can't miss. I don't know if it'll still be whale-watching season but if so do a W.W.cruise. We just did 3 weeks ago and saw whales the whole time we were out. The beaches, town and surrounding area was beautiful. Brophy's on the marina pier has great seafood with lots of atmosphere. If you go to Long Beach, lodgeing on the Queen Mary is an experience we found alot of fun. In San Diego I agree with a past post. Point Loma(Cabrillo National Monument)has a beautiful view of the Bay and ocean with alot of information on the history of that area.