Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Uma
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First trip to Big Island

Planning to visit the Big Island for the first time in early to mid-December,
and looking at the Four Seasons Hualalai vs. Mauna Kea Beach Resort for
6 or 7 nights. Which would you recommend?
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 07:32 AM

The beach at Mauna Kea is way better for swimming and sunning; classic stretch of white sand, calm water, and excellent snorkeling. (Hualalai area is more crashing-surf type scenery.)
As far as hotel amenities and rooms and food go: I just go to the beaches!
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Uma
Original Poster

Thanks, Sylvia. More interested in the areas where the hotels are located than the hotels themselves, so appreciate your input.
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 10:04 AM

BTW, the beach resorts to the north (Waikoloa, Mauna Kea, Hapuna, Mauna Lani) not only seem to have, in general, better beaches in the sense of white sand, lie out, swim, snorkel, but also have pretty good access to more variety of shopping and dining choices; esp. Waikoloa, which has the King's and Queen's shops and a great grocery, plus food court. The shops at Mauna Lani are upscale, but there's also a deli, restaurants, etc. I suspect they are all cheaper than the 4 Seasons, too (tho access to Kailua-Kona is closer). (I've see the Hapuna Prince in the low $100s off and on over the past year or so).
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 11:48 AM

I'd forfeit the beach for the 4S. There is a very good reason it is rated number 1 year after year
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 12:44 PM

As previously mentioned, the Muana Kea has a better beach setting and it is wonderfully situated. The Four Seasons is a beautiful resort with many great pools, beautiful coast-setting and great amenities. I stay at the resort next door and walk through the Four Seasons all the time on my way to Kukio Beach. It's a wonderful place. If I had to choose, I go FS if money is no object.

One proviso, if you want ocean activities, i.e. beach and snorkeling, it may be better to stay at the MK.
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 02:16 PM

Simply put, the beach and ocean swimming at the Four Seasons sucks. The "sand" is half rock and you'll need water shoes just to swim. The atmosphere there is also decidedly more anal retentive than the MK, i.e. lots of people walking around yammering into walkie talkies, minimum-wage floosies asking for your room number so they can verify you're a guest of the hotel, etc. It's not my idea of relaxation, but if you enjoy feeling like a visiting Secretary of State it might be your cup of tea.

The Mauna Kea (and adjoining Hapuna Beach Prince) has both of the island's best beaches and rock-free ocean access, and a staff who is more concerned with your enjoyment than in making themselves feel important. Speaking of the Hapuna Beach Prince, rooms there are larger than the MK's and rates are substantially lower.

Regarding the area, the Kohala resorts are spectacular and lush, but they're virtual islands in a vast sea of absolutely barren lava flows. If you come to this side of the Big Island expecting scenery like Kauai you'll be very disappointed.
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 02:25 PM

Water shoes - never visit hawaii without them! They have brought me to many wonderful swimming and beachcombing experiences.
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 03:10 PM

I love the vast lava flows, but then, I'm a geologist...
(p.s. Everyone, wear rash-guard shirts or tees instead of sunscreen in the water, and don't step on the coral!)
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 03:35 PM

What Fde says is true, which is why I like Kona Villge next door. Nevertheless, not everybody thinks alike. Many people love the four seasons because it has an exclusive clubby feel. If you can afford the FS, you have arrived. And, it is well designed resort.

Either FS or MK will provided you with a great vacation.

Bill
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 04:08 PM

If you're at all curious about Kona Village Resort, take a look at www.davidskvr.net and see if it intrigues you at all.
David
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Uma
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for your input. Checked out your website, David. Leaning toward Mauna Kea at this point.
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 05:08 PM

Although a drive to the volcano is long, I would suggest going to Hawi, take the mountain road one way and the ocean drive the other and stop in at Bamboo and Tropical Dreams. Make sure to head to the end of the road and hike down if you're up to it. With a little research there really are no wrong choices. And honestly, if I visit 4S I would likely want it to be a more resort destination rather then and exploration destination. Who would want to leave?
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 05:12 PM
SEW

I've only walked the grounds of the Four Seasons, but have stayed at Mauna Kea and LOVED it. The beach there is really nice. It has been a while and I know they have had some changes at Mauna Kea, but I would give it another shot. Loved the hammocks near the pool for a little nap under the palm trees.
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 06:33 PM

I'm sure some things have changed post earthquake, but we stayed at Hapuna Prince in 2006 [which is right next to Mauna Kea] and we loved the beach and the hotel. You can go to either beach when you stay at these sister properties, as well as using all of the facilities at both places. We had dinner at Four Season, which was wonderous. The beach was indeed rocky, was pretty to watch at night, our table was right alongside of the water. I have pictures somewhere of the beach, if you are interested.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 06:26 AM

Hapuna Prince, $169 in early-mid December...
http://www.hotels.com (Kohala coast)
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Uma
Original Poster

Appreciate all your input.Have flights on hold, and reservation at Mauna Kea. Will start doing my usual research in guidebooks, etc. What other sites, besides the volcano,
would you recommend?
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 10:18 AM

First thing, buy the Map of Hawaii (U. of Hawaii press; the blue book (Big Island Revealed, Wizard Press, is the bible)
Some of my favorites:

Waikoloa beach (A-Bay) (swim, snorkel, see turtles)
Drive north (past Hawi) to where road ends for sea-cliff views (then lunch at Bamboo!); see original King Kamehameha statue
See Waipo Valley lookout; take the OLD Mamaloa Hwy on the way back and explore some lava tube caves
Think about doing an overnight on the Hilo side: a good itinerary would be
Day 1: Volcano National Park (don't forget the Thurston Lava Tube!) and Hilo (waterfalls in town?), and perhaps Lava Tree State Park
next a.m.:
Kapoho Tide Pool snorkeling (or add lava-into-the-sea viewing hike [check first] or boat ride either early or late)
Back toward Hilo (see waterfalls in town?), take the Hamuaka coast HWY to see:
Akaka Falls
Lapauhoehoe Point (incredible scenery and tsunami memorial)
Think about taking Saddle Road back; excellent gravel right outside Hilo (paving going on), then it's in great shape back to the Belt Hwy.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 10:21 AM

Don't forget, if you like to snorkel, it's well worth it to get a set for a week from Snorkel Bob or Boss Frogs (at the airport, grab all the pamphlets they have for coupons, maps, and info)
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 11:44 AM

Uma, I'd add these to Sylvia's list:

Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden in Onomea

Pana`ewa Rainforest Zoo in Hilo

Manta Ray Night Dive (much better experience if you're scuba certified, you can also snorkle but the real action takes place 10-20' underwater)

Green Sand Beach at South Point

Mauna Kea sunset and stargazing/observatory tours (offered by several companies, my favorite guide is Pat Wright at Mauna Kea Summit Adventures)

Big Island Zipline

Helicopter tours

Place of Refuge (if you're into Hawaiian history)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -