First timers need advice on New York hotel and prioritizing activities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, we are from Michigan. Planning to visit New York after our teenage son completes a pre-college summer class at Brown. We only have Friday afternoon and all day Saturday, leaving Sunday am for home. First timers to the city. We enjoy historical sites, a good Italian meal plus would like to try NY hotdog and deli food, boat rides and waterfronts, visits to museums (but prefer outdoors), and really just want to get a flavor of the city on this short trip.

We are staying at the Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East. 1) Have we put ourselves too far away from most attractions by staying here? Is there a better location for first timers? 2) Is Gray LIne double decker bus tour a good idea or a tourist trap? 3) Is WTC site difficult to view because of construction? On our short time frame should we pass on it? 4)How do we get to Staten Island Ferry for "free" viewing of SOL so we don't need to spend 5 hours doing regular boat tour? 5) We need suggestions for Friday night after 5pm arrival. Empire State Building? Top of the Rock? 6) Is Broadwaywaybox.com a legitimate way to buy tickets and on short notice how do you get the tickets?

We are open to all kinds of suggestions and have seen so many ideas on this forum but know we can't fit it all in. Thanks for any help to organize and prioritize the activities on this trip.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 02:10 AM

Many of your queries are answered on other threads so you might do a search.
Specifically, Top of the Rock is recommended over ES Bldg.
as is: www.broadwaybox.com.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 03:45 AM

1. No. That hotel isn't particularly central, but it's a nice place and will work out well for you.

2. Yes, it's a tourist trap in the sense that of course only tourists do it. And the quality of the tour guides is uneven. But it might be a good choice for your goal of getting an overview. Depends partly on the weather.

3. Pass.

4. Also not a good use of your very limited time.

5. As Rhea said, TOR is better.

6. No sure; we've had good luck with the info center in the middle of Times Square.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 05:07 AM

Since you will be in New York for such a short duration, I think you should make a list of preferences in order of their importance to you. You've listed too many areas of interest to be satisfied during your short stay.
A few comments:
1. Don't be misled by a previous poster's comments about your hotel. It's in the midtown area and not that far from the "action."
2. Definitely do the Top of the Rock rather than the Empire State Building.
3. Since you'll be in the city for such a short time, I'd recommend that if you want to see a show that you get theater tickets in advance, rather than wasting time once you arrive. With that thought in mind, check out the discount offers on Broadwaybox.com and/or playbill.com and buy them now.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 05:17 AM

Your hotel is in a good location. Frankly, I prefer to say outside of the bustle of Times Square and like this hotel and this location a lot.

With such a very limited time in the city, I think what you really need to do is to do a little research and find out what you'd prefer seeing and see those few things. A double-decker bus tour will just suck up a lot of your time; it's fine if you are in the city for a week, but with less than 2 days, you'll be wasting almost half a day when you can do the transport in a fraction of the time by using city buses and subways or taxis if you prefer (frankly, 4 or 5 taxi rides will be cheaper in the long run that the cost of 3 double-decker bus tour tickets, and you won't be in the city long enough to take more of them).

Broadway Box is a legitimate ticket web site and I use it all the time. Definitely buy your tickets in advance since you will be so short on time. I'd recommend a Broadway play on Friday, but if you are arriving at 5, that might be a tight squeeze.

You don't say if you are taking the train or plane, but if you arrive by plane at 5, you are unlikely to be at your hotel before 6 unless you don't check luggage, then you could be there at the hotel by 5:45 if you hustle right out of La Guardia.

If arriving by train, then you'll be at your hotel before 6 if you hustle, jump in a cab, and drop off your bags, grab a quick bite on the way to the theater, and then might want to drop into the TOTR or Empire State Building after the play. I love to see the views at night.

If you like the outdoors, then the Staten Island Ferry is a nice way to see the harbor, but I'd also walk halfway across the Brooklyn Bridge. You could stop in Little Italy for lunch (it's touristy, yes, and the restaurants aren't very good, but it can be fun). The Essex Street market is a great place to go on a Saturday.

There is absolutely nothing to see at the World Trade Center site. Skip it with such a short visit.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 06:33 AM

Hi,
I just finished my trip report to NYC. We were there for 4 days. TOR was fabulous, we went near sunset and could see everything during daylight and watch the city light up. Definitely worth seeing. The staten island ferry was also delightful, no long lines, you just have to get off in Staten Island, and get back on right away for trip back. Loved seeing the SOL. We bought our Broadway tix ahead of time, and good thing cuz the line at TXS is outrageous==you would waste a lot of time there. Give yourself time to walk the sights too, Times Square, and surrounding areas. The weather was fabulous, low 60's high 83.

enjoy!
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 06:52 AM

You've gotten excellent advice. Your hotel is more than fine. I'd say the decision about whether or not to use any tour bus whether hop on/off or not depends on whether you have a preference for feeling like you've at least "seen it all" if not stopped there or, whether you're people who prefer to see less but actually visit a few places. With only 1 1/2 days, you can't really do both. There are night tours that would take you past a lot of sights that you could do the night you arrive. You could go to Top of the Rock in the late afternoon on arrival day too and see Rockefeller Center and St. Patrick's Cathedral which is just across the street.

Otoh, if you want to go to the theater, Fri. night is probably the best time to do it. Many of the discounts you can get from broadwaybox are not good for Sat. night performances and you wouldn't want to go to a matinee on Sat. if that's your only full day. http://realnewyorktours.com/ is another tour option that uses the subway and walking to get around, a more efficient use of time. They have shorter and longer tours.

Some of the tours include a ride on the SI ferry but should you not take one, rather than taking the Staten Island ferry, I'd do the nywaterway.com 90 min. harbor tour where you'll see more and have a guide to describe what you're seeing.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all the helpful information. We will skip WTC and do TOR over ESB. Love the idea of walking Brooklyn Bridge and stopping in Little Italy. Good to know we can turn right around and come back on Staten Island Ferry-no time wasted. FYI we are actually driving in - I hope we survive.

Additional questions-With only a day and a half in the city is the $25 Metro Pass a good buy or better to just pay as we go? Do husband and son need suits for the theater or will dress pants and ties work - less to pack.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 07:20 AM

With ties, they'll be overdressed for most theater audiences. The last time I went, the gals in the seats next to us were wearing sweatsuits. Any shirt with a collar will do.

The $27 Metro pass won't be a good buy, since it's a one-week unlimited pass and can be used by only one person at a time. At $2.25 per ride (retail), you'd have to use it 12 times to save anything.

You'll be much better-off just putting value on a card and paying per ride; you get a 15% bonus (e.g., pay $20, get $23 value on the card). So for that same $27, you'd get $31.05 on the card, or 13.8 rides. Multiple riders can use a pay-as-you-go card because the NYC system charges when you board, not when you exit (like London or Washington DC).

So for instance if the family plans to ride 4 times, that's 16 fares, @$2.25 = $36.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 07:25 AM

There is no more $25 Metrocard, That was the price of a one week unlimited pass, which is now $27 (compared with a base fare of $2.25) There are also one day passes for $8.25. That would make more sense than the weekly pass.

With only a day and a half, you'd probably come out about the same buying a regular "pay per ride" Metrocard which you can fill with any amount, and you can get it all on one card for all 3 (2?) of you. If you add at least $8, you get a bonus of 15% of the amount added (e.g. $10 would actually get you $11.50 on the card)

It depends on how much you think you'll want to run around from neighborhood to neighborhood, what the weather is like, how rushed you feel, how good you are at walking

Suits are not only unnecessary for the theater, they will look very out of place, especially in the summer. Skip the ties, too--not worn in NYC except by bankers, and then only in the office.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 07:25 AM

Just pay as you go on the subway - it's $2.25 per ride as I recall, so I doubt that you will each ride 12 times.

When you buy Broadway tickets, there is an option to print on your home computer. Then you can get your tix immediately. You can also use Will Call, but that adds another line to stand in when you get there.

Broadwaybox.com is great. Even if there isn't a discount code, they have a link to the legit ticket sites. Note that some of the shows they list as sell outs really aren't. Check the actual ticket seller.

We just got back a week ago and saw six shows, so let me know if you need any recommendations. We got fantastic seats at In the Heights (thru broadwaybox.com) for $57.50 each and my teens and I loved it.

As for Italian food, with so little time, I'd suggest that you plan the rest of your trip and figure out where you'll be at dinner time, then post here to find good Italian in the vicinity. A couple of years ago we had a good Italian meal at Becco in the theatre district (but it's not universally loved.) Also John's Pizzaria is great for a post-show pizza (it's right across the street from Phantom and a block from In the Heights.)

I believe you can buy timed tickets for the TOR, which would eliminate any lines that might be there.

If you watch the Today Show, it is fun to be in the crowd outside. That is something you can do early (right before TOR) and it won't break into the reat of the day.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 08:14 AM

We have stayed at the Courtyard Midtown East and it's excellent. We loved the location (and we are from NY originally, plus have stayed in lots of hotels in lots of neighborhoods over the years). There's a subway at the corner, and a Duane Reade downstairs. The room is huge. Great choice.

Second, have you been in NY before? If not, do you really want to spend one of only two evenings in the theater? If it were me, I'd rather walk around Central Park before dark, and have a late-ish dinner, or walk the Brooklyn Bridge or do the TOTR at dusk, etc.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 08:34 AM

Your hotel is fine. since the sights are spread out all over the island you will need to use the subway no matter where you stay.

Staten Island ferry runs 24/7 - so you can take it whnever you want (15/20 minute departures during the day to 30 minutes at off hours). Just take the subway to South Ferry - and you will find it easily. You might want to do it either before or after Top of the Rock (advance tickets - no waiting hours in line as with the ESB) which is also open late.

Broadwaybox.com is perectly relaibel. Go to the website, get the discount code for the show you want then go to the official online seller for that show and put in the code. The best way to get a selection of seats at bargain prices - no waiting on long lines at TKTS booth. You can have the tickets held for you at the box office.

Do not reco any bus tour - too insulated from the city. And way too much time sitting in traffic (often not much fster than a walkig pace). Just pick what you really want and go see it. Be sure to visit websites in advance to get hours and days of opening and check out which part of whatever (the Met or Cenral Park or ?) you really want to see. You will have time for just a brief taste of several things.

For Italian what is your price point and your food preference (traditional red sauce, more modern cuisine, specific region)? If possible I would go for a place with a sidewalk cafe in one of the residential neighborhoods - much more fun and usually more for your money than midtown.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Again, thank you! The generosity of your comments is amazing.
Love the idea of a sidewalk cafe for Italian food. We are not so savvy as to have food preferences - we ate in North end of Boston last summer on vacation and really enjoyed all we tried. Will most likely stick with pasta and chicken dishes where ever we go. Glad to hear we don't need to bring special clothes for Broadway. I think we will do "pay per ride" Metrocard so we only have to swip once for all 3 of us. Today show is interesting idea. Still deciding between Broadway and just walking Central Park, TOR on Saturday evening. Could do Broadway Friday as also need to attend St. Pat's Saturday 5:30pm mass. Everyone has been great - thanks!!
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 10:11 AM

You will need to swipe the one "pay per ride" card 3 times for 3 people!!
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 10:27 AM

With so little time and so much to see, I'd suggest that each of you list the three things you want to see/do most...hopefully there will be some overlap. Look at each of your top choices and plot the location on a map. Look at what is physically nearby - for example, St. Patricks is very close to Top of the Rock. With so little time, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to visit the same area twice. Then work your way down each person's list and see what you can reasonably get to.

One thing that might give you a better feel for the city is to pay for one cab ride. On our 2007 visit to NYC, we bought the weekly passes and took the subway everywhere. On a recent trip we took a couple of cab rides...I got to see Chelsea, Greenwich Village and SoHo from out the cab window...quicker than a bus tour, but it gives you a better idea of where things are than popping up from underground.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 10:55 AM

You know, missypie, that's a really good strategy for a small group in any destination regardless of the time you plan to spend there. It lets you focus on what you all really want to do first and then (if there's time) gives you the opportunity to meander about and see other things later. I like that suggestion a lot.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 11:02 AM

I see a free Fodor's Guide in missypie's future . . . .
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 12:27 PM

Muchas gracias! I really like to look at detailed maps and guidebooks that give street by street details. Often, we can very easily fit in a couple of "lower priority sights" when we find that they are just down the block from our destination.