SOUTHEAST ROAD TRIP

Search

SOUTHEAST ROAD TRIP

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOUTHEAST ROAD TRIP

Hi! my husband and I are planning to fly from Boston to Washington DC and rent a car to tour some of the southeast. We were planning on staying a night in DC with friends then heading down the coast to Savannah then back up through the mountains and back to DC. We would like to visit Beaufort NC and SC, Charleston and Savannah, Athens GA and Asheville NC. We were hoping to do this in 10 days. Any advise on scenic routes to take or how many days to allow in each location? We have never been to this part of the country and are looking forward to exploring. Are we trying to fit too many places into too short of a time frame? Thanks in advance for your input!
Old May 25th, 2012, 01:02 AM

We did a round trip in 2006 but being retired had more time to spend. Our itinerary :Washington DC-Annapolis-Williamsburg-Kill devil hills outer banks-Wilmington-Charleston-Savannah-Atlanta-Gatlinsburg Ten.-Asheville-Roanoke-Charlotteville-Harpers ferry-Washington.We took 22 days. 3 days in Wash.Paul
Old May 25th, 2012, 01:20 AM

There are more than just lighthouses on the Outer Banks, though they are the main attraction. This is also the “Birthplace of Aviation” home to the Wright Brothers Memorial. There are also several shipwrecks, (buried treasure, anyone?) and even the Lost Colony of Virginia is also nearby. You’ll love the beaches, and it is almost impossible to get lost.
Old May 25th, 2012, 03:23 AM

If you can organize your trip so that you will be in DC on the weekend and on the coast or mountains during the week you will find lodging more available and less expensive.

If you go to the Williamsburg area, consider taking route 5 down from Richmond rather than I-64.

For nice scenery Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive is very nice, but will be slower as the speed limit is 35 or so on a lot of it. We saw a bear there last weekend (from the car).

Have a great trip.
Old May 25th, 2012, 03:37 AM

I would not advise adding to your itinerary (OBX and Williamsburg), and I think Athens might be the outlier unless you just love Gawja!
Head down on I95 to I40 and then go to the coast. Maybe stay in Wilmington your first night.
On down toward Charleston--you might stop at Brookgreen Gardens at Litchfield (1.5 hours from Wilmington). Stroll a few hours in the art and gardens. REALLY special place.
Then perhaps drive around Georgetown (Revolutionary War era homes in the historic district--25 minutes south of Brookgreen). Arrive Charleston that night (1.5 hours from Georgetown).
Stay. 2=3 days. Go to Savannah. Stay 2 days.
Head to Ashville (6hours from charleston).
Fit your days and your return to DC. I would leave Athens out.
Old May 25th, 2012, 03:56 AM

I did a solo road trip including a stop in Beaufort, SC this spring. It is a beautiful little town worth an overnight stop. Some advice - try to stay there early in any week. There is a large Marine base/training facility (Parris Island) that graduates a class every week - and from TH-Sat almost everyone in town is there for that. It is certainly not crowded, but hotel rates go up and everyone assumes that is what you are there for.

I stayed at the Best Western which is right downtown, across from the marina and was wonderful. Part of it is in an old historic building and the rest built to fit right in.

I would do a night in Savannah and perhaps 2 in Charleston. Never been to Beaufort, NC or Asheville - but have been to Athens and might also leave that off the list.
Old May 25th, 2012, 04:45 AM

Unless you have a reason to visit the University of Georgia, skip Athens. It's just a college town. You will gain more time for your other destinations if you leave it off your list.