First Time Trip with 7 and 9 year old girls

Old May 8th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

First Time Trip with 7 and 9 year old girls

We are planning a trip to the Denver/Boulder area in either June or July. We will be driving from Missouri and staying 3 nights (we are on a budget this summer). My first question is about the weather. My husband wants to go in June because he says the weather is nicer. Is there much difference in temperature between mid-June and early July? Keep in mind we are from MO where it gets very hot and humid in July.

We would also like some information on must-see things to do. We have been researching and making a list of things that look fun/interesting and we need help possibly narrowing it down. Like I mentioned, we are on a budget so the 3 nights is non-negotiable. We are estimating our arrival in the Denver area sometime Sunday evening (around 8:00). We would be leaving the area the following Wednesday afternoon around 2:00 so that we can do something in Denver before we leave (possibly the zoo)?

Our list is as follows: Denver Zoo, Downtown Aquarium, Confluence Park, U.S. Mint, Georgetown (mainly for the railroad/mine tour), and possibly a day in Boulder to do some hiking and sightseeing. We looked into the Boulder Creek Path for hiking/picnicing. Our girls have never been hiking so we need something that is short and sweet, but still scenic. We don't want to cram too much in to our 3 days there, but we will likely not be back considering there are other vacations to go on and our budget will not allow more than one vacation per year.

Sorry this is so long winded, but we would really appreciate any feedback we can get! This is our first vacation other than the beach and we are looking forward to many exciting experiences! Thanks!
Old May 9th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

We have actually decided on Colorado Springs instead as it seems to have more sightseeing and things to do in one central location. Any suggestions on must see/must do sights and activities? Thanks!
Old May 9th, 2010, 07:54 AM

There are several scenic railroads in the area that might be fun for the kids. The one we went on was Royal Gorge, about 45 minutes southwest of CS. If weather is nice, the open car will be fine and offer the best place for pictures. You might also want to take a ride down to Great Sand Dunes NP for a day, pack a lunch. And of course, the Air Force Acadamy has a visitor's center.
Old May 9th, 2010, 07:57 AM

It still might snow a couple of inches at higher elevations, so be prepared. We were there two years ago and it snowed 3 inhces on July 4th and all we brought was shorts and t-shirts.

I like the resort areas for activities(winter park, keystone, breckenridge, etc). I really like Great Sand Dunes National Park, Mesa Verde, and Durango. You might even consider tent-camping as it is inexpensive and very fun.
Old May 9th, 2010, 11:36 AM

I would disagree that you would have more sightseeing and things to do in C Springs. You do have old Colorado City, Gardens of the Gods, the Academy, Pikes Peak, Cod Railroad, Mountain Zoo but a lot of those things are more adult oriented and might appeal as much to a 7 and 9 year. The Royal Gorge bridge is just that a bridge over a deep hole and expensive access. The train out of Georgetown is far more historically and pulled with a steam engine. Even Georgetown, itself is more authentic. The Royal Gorge is very scenic but pulled by a modern engine. A day loop out of Denver west into the mountain would have many more interesting sites than a day loop west of C Springs especially if looking for things to appeal to the girls. Tiny Town in Morrison is fun for kids along with the children's Museum in Denver.

I think your original plan would better serve your earlier stated interests.
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:46 PM

You might find this interesting

http://webmail.aol.com/31650-111/aol-1/en-us/Suite.aspx
Old May 11th, 2010, 01:28 AM

My girls LOVED the Natural History museum in Denver. We spent a day in Georgetown and had a great time on the train. Tiny town was fun as well, and not too far out of Denver.