Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

First time travling to NYC with family, where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

My family and I are heading to New York City in a month, any recommendation for hotels? I heard the ones in mid-town are good, are they?

thanks.
Old May 30th, 2012, 10:33 PM

That is a very broad question Queenie. The regulars will tell you that some of the midtown hotels are "good" and others not so much. The main thing for you to consider is a hotel not far from a subway stop. You and your family will be travelling by subway as the things you want to see are spread all over the city. To get some good advice here, you need to give your exact dates ( hotel prices can change day by day ) and how much you are prepared to pay. Also how many beds you need. You can then have a look at the hotels suggested and decide from there. Good luck!
Old May 31st, 2012, 01:30 AM

This is a common question. Above is a box titled "View By State." Click on New York and then you can sift through for the hotel topics.
Old May 31st, 2012, 03:47 AM

Agree - you need to give us your budget and how many of you there are/what bed configuration you need. In NYC you can;t put more than 4 people in a hotel room - 5 or more require a suite or separate rooms - and many rooms have one double bed (so this info really matters).

Also -- midtown is fine - but I might reco a different area depending on what you plan on doing and on how many and how old your kids are. For a family with younger kids I always reco the upper west side so you are close to Central park playgrounds, the Museum of Nat'l Histy and a lot of family friendly restaurants - many with good food at low to moderate prices. And since it's primarily residential the whole area is much more manageable (parts of midtown are VERY frantic and can be too much for young kids - and it's primarily a business area.)
Old May 31st, 2012, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

We're still at the very beginning stage of planning.. but Thank you so much for the replies.
There're 4 of us in total, my boyfriend, his best friend, my sister and myself. The oldest of our group's actually only 23, and my sister's only 18. We're first time travllers from Hong Kong, and we're looking to visit all the must-see sights in the city, so not much shopping really. The museums, Lady Liberty, time sqaure etc.
We're planning to visit the city from June 23 to 27.
Hotel-wise, we're looking for around 200 per room, and we need two rooms, with two beds.
Old May 31st, 2012, 02:37 PM

THIS June and you're in the beginning stages of planning?????? June is a very pricey time of year. Rooms with 2 beds usually cost more and hotel taxes add ~15% to prices you see on most websites. The sights you list are not all in midtown if you look at a map and the younger areas of the city are not in midtown but downtown on the lower east side, the village, Chelsea and Tribeca. But if it,s for this year, Id say look for places within your budget first, then narrow options based on location and how nice the places are. I don't really see any decent options at that price with 2 beds on those dates. I also checked for 2 bedroom suites and they're either over budget or not available for at least 1 of the nights.

If your budget is fixed, youmay want to consider staying just outside Manhattan a short subway ride away. Country Inn & Suites in Long Island City is $170/night plus tax for rooms with 2 queen beds and ncludes breakfast.
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:14 PM

Agree that your budget is low for heavy tourist season unless you can share a bed. If so, you could bid on Priceline and might well find something. But Priceline only guarantees 1 double bed and that is a very common configuration in NY. The other thing you need to look into is age limits. Many hotels don;t rent to guests under the age of 21 - so I hope you qualify for both rooms.

Agree not to worry about neighborhood - but try to find anything decent in Manhattan. Unfortunately you have waited very late for reservations - the deals were probably reserved 3 months or so ago.

Separately, the SoL is closed until the end of the year. You can still take the ferry (but must get advance tickets NOW) to see the outside and then go on to the Ellis Island Immigration Museum, which is brilliant.

I would start searching now on all of the discount websites to see if anything at all turns up . (I looked at a couple of sights and they are listing airport hotels - an hour from the city - or places in New Jersey - the wrong side of the river.)
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 08:48 AM

I am not from New York but am going after you are. I did a quick search of two sites. Expedia.com is offering Hotel Belleclaire for $195 standard room/and $219 for a queen bed. But there are very limited rooms.

Perhaps people from New York can confirm but when I was initially looking, I thought this hotel looked nice on Trip Advisor. It is not Mid-town though. Upper West Side. Most likely it still has rooms available because they are remodeling the lobby, but TA guests say it wasn't really that annoying/loud.

Note: The hotel I was looking at in New Jersey was full for your dates, not a good sign. You really need to hurry and make a reservation somewhere TODAY.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 08:55 AM

Yes, but the OP is looking for 2 beds in each room - not one. the Belleclaire is fine - but it meanssharing beds.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 11:08 AM

Oh, it said with two beds, and I read that as two beds total.

That pricepoint is probably not realistic if that's the case.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 01:42 PM

Hotels in Long Island Cuty Queens would fit all your requirements but are filling up fast. Most rooms have 2 beds. Try Country Inn and Suites or Comfort Inn Long Island City. Both are close to the subway and a couple of stops from Midtown. You are unlikely to find a hotel in your price range for June in Midtown, though check Hotels.com and book something ASAP that you can cancel without a penalty and then keep looking for something better.