Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

First time to USA/Portland : Advice appreciated.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2013, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear all,

First of all, let me introduce myself. I'm Lin from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and will be visiting relatives in Portland on the end of March 2014 for approx. 3 weeks. I'll be going there with my girlfriend, and accomodation in Portland is not a problem.

So, I would just like to get an opinion on my itinerary.

1) I believe I've covered the basic spots in Portland itself, coffee, coffee, doughnuts, ice-cream, OMSI, gardens, etc, etc.

2) My biggest concern: driving in the Oregon area. We plan to hit Haystack Rock for sundown/sunrise and up to Ecola State Park. On another day, we will go to Hood River (overnight) via the historic highway with all the waterfalls, then swinging on to Mount Hood and back to Portland via Sandy.

Will driving on that time be treacherous? In my country we drive on the left side of the road, so I'm just a bit worried here, but my cousin has assured me it would not be a problem.

3) We also plan to go to Crater Lake, which is a 4-5 hour drive. I was thinking overnight in Bend or Eugene, and then driving to Crater Lake in time for the snowshoe tour at 1pm. Again, will the road to and from crater lake be dangerous at that point in time (early-mid April)?

I hope my post is not too long. I would appreciate your comments and advice.

Thank you.
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 06:19 AM

Oregon has good roads. None of the driving you mention will be treacherous or dangerous unless roads are covered in snow or ice.

HTtY
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 07:22 AM

Adjusting from left to right can be difficult for some people; I think it depends on the individual and how comfortable you are with driving and change in general. Weather could be good or it could be pouring rain, or it could be snowy and icy, depending on elevation. You are going from beach to city to the mountains, so the driving conditions and weather will change with each situation.

I wouldn't attempt driving on the other side of the road when you are tired or stressed because it is hard enough when you are alert and relaxed.

All that said, the roads are very good, and if you have one person to drive and another to navigate or have a GPS, it can and has been done before. Maybe try the easiest of the excursions first and see how you do and judge from that.

Old Oct 24th, 2013, 08:47 AM

Driving to Crater Lake and the other mountain areas could be treacherous because of snow and weather conditions.

There likely will be a lot of snow around Crater Lake and there will only be one entrance open to the park. You will need to carry chains for the tires.

That being said, Crater Lake in the winter can be a magical place. There are ranger led snowshoe trips that are fun and pretty easy. I have been there when the sun is shining and the views are spectacular and I have been there when it was storming and you could not even see the lake.

We usually stay at Prospect Inn in the small town of Prospect- its about a 30 min drive into the park from there.
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 09:19 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The approach to the south entrance of Crater Lake NP is easier from Medford using Rt. 62. Spend the night in either Medford or Prospect. The north entrance ((via Roseburg/ Rt. 138) will not be open until about July.
Can you get one of your relatives to do most of the driving?
Having tire chains in the trunk is a good idea but if you get to a place where they are required on your tires, turn around and go back until the weather is better. Enjoy your time in Oregon.
I love Bend but unless you want to try skiing at Mt. Bachelor, save it for your next trip to Oregon.
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 09:35 AM

Link to Prospect Inn- they have great meals there too

http://www.prospecthotel.com
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your kind replies. You guys really cleared up a lot of my worries. I think I will just omit Crater Lake from our itinerary for the moment, who knows, maybe by then there could be no snow!
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 08:58 AM

Might I suggest a day trip or overnight to Timberline Lodge? It's about an hour & a half from Portland and really beautiful! The lodge is a 75 year old lodge built on the south flank of Mt Hood. The restaurant there is excellent (a bit expensive but IMHO worth it). Even if you don't ski it's worth a look!! As for the road there in March: watch the weather forecast for Government Camp.