Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   First time to Monterey/Carmel (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/first-time-to-monterey-carmel-206403/)

Michele Apr 26th, 2002 05:30 AM

First time to Monterey/Carmel

My husband and I are flying into SF and will be travelling to Carmel for a three day conference. We have two free days before and after the meetings and are looking for suggestions. As we have been to SF once before, we are thinking of only spending one full day there and the rest of the time along the coast. SHould we head right from our day in SF to Carmel?? Is there alot to see and do around the Carmel/Monterey area?? We would like to get in a round of golf (likey at Pacific Grove) and think that spending time around the water would be wonderful. Any suggestions of a driving route would be appreciated.

rob Apr 26th, 2002 05:38 AM

theres a great state park nearby...I think its called pt. lobos. andrew molera st. park is also an intresting one on the beach although its a bit of a walk to get to.

George Apr 26th, 2002 06:46 AM

The 17-Mile drive is worth doing. And if you have a meal at Pebble Beach, the cost of the drive is refunded.<BR><BR>Asilomar, at Pacific Grove, has a nice beach.

garyt Apr 26th, 2002 09:47 AM

Michelle - there is no better drive from SF to Carmel than HWY 1... try to get on 1 as far north as possible and take in what may be the world's most beautiful scenery.<BR><BR>The last time I went to the Monterey penninsula, we chose to stay right on the ocean at a resort names the Marina Dunes in Marina. The resort has bungalow style buildings right on a state park on the ocean. Monterey was 10 minutes away and Carmel just a few minutes farther. It was beautiful beyond description.<BR><BR>We also took some time to drive along 1 to Big Sur...WOW what beauty... with several scenic overlook points to stop, it was breathtaking!<BR><BR>If you want to have a near religious experience, consider the above routes.

Denise Apr 26th, 2002 09:50 AM

My husband and I have stayed for a week in Carmel 3 times in the last 20 years. We love the area. There is loads to do--shopping, strolling on the beach, going out from Carmel to Monterey & Pacific Grove, etc. We don't golf, but I understand Pebble Beach is fantastic. So I would definitely head straight for Carmel and give yourselves time to breathe! Have fun...

xx Apr 26th, 2002 11:03 AM

Has anyone stayed @ the Tickle Pink Inn? If so what did you think?

Patty Apr 26th, 2002 11:09 AM

Don't miss the Monterey Bay Aquarium, but go early or late in the day as it can be very crowded.

lze Apr 26th, 2002 10:37 PM

Hello Michele, I agree with the other poster that suggested you drive as much of the coast as possible to arrive in the Monterey/Carmel area. Lots of wonderful golf courses for you there. The 17 mile drive and the drive around the Pacific Grove area is breathtaking! The Monterey Bay Aquarium is the best you will ever visit I think. Each time I go I still enjoy it. Just made my 3rd or 4th visit there last month. They are always adding new things. Make a day of it there. If you enjoy history, visit the Carmel Mission. Not an all day visit. Can be done relatively easy.I also agree with another poster regarding the drive to Big Sur down the coast. If you get there be sure to have lunch at Nepenthe (not spelled right I am sure) it is a fabulous little stop for lunch. It was originally a house that Orson Wells bought for Rita Hayworth. Now a wonderful art gallery, restaurant, and gift shop. One of my favorite spots. In Carmel I like the Rio Grill. It is where the locals go I think and the food is very good. Make a reservation. I especially love the artichoke they do. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. Have a safe and wonderful visit. You'll enjoy it I know.

Bob Apr 27th, 2002 12:50 PM

I live in this area. If you have the time drive the Hwy 1 route from SF. Ritz Carlton has just opened a new hotel in Half Moon Bay that would be a good stop for lunch. <BR><BR>If you are pressed for time do the I280 route to 101 out of SF instead of the 101 straight route as 280 out of the city is very beautiful. 101 is not.<BR><BR>Restaurants in Pacific Grove: Fandangos is one of the best and will not disappoint you. Roys at Spanish Bay also very good. They have a place outdoors with fire pits where you can enjoy a drink as the bagpiper closes the golf course for the day then go into Roys for dinner. <BR><BR>Monterey Aquarium now has a special display on jellyfish. Very well done and just opened in April.<BR><BR>Local eatery for Mexican food is Peppers in Pacific Grove. Not expensive and the locals love it. Located downtown Pacific Grove.<BR><BR>Hearst Castle is about 90 miles away from Carmel and worth the tour. Fantastic home and property.<BR><BR>

lze Apr 27th, 2002 10:27 PM

Hey, I agree about the Hearst Castle thing. Of course if you are just touring, Cambria is a very short drive from the castle and it is one of our most favorite spots along the coast. Quaint small town. Good places to eat in the area and great shopping/browsing.

Chris Apr 28th, 2002 01:24 AM

I'm a local and agree with all the above posts. Hwy 1 between SF and Santa Cruz is beautiful, Monterey and Carmel are great and Hwy 1 down through Big Sur is magnificent. Nepenthe's was spelled correctly and is a great stop. River Inn is also nice for lunch. Staying at Cambria on Moonstone Dr and going to Hearst is great. I haven't stayed at Tickle Pink but have heard it's great. Go to the Monterey Aquarium and then walk along the bike path. Drive along the same coastal route past Asilomar. Have fun, Chris

Michele Apr 29th, 2002 11:44 AM

Thank you, everyone, for your fantastic suggestions! As we are arriving into SF mid-morning, I like the idea of hitting HWY 1 as early as possible - I am assuming that we should not run into any traffic at this time. <BR>The Monterey aquarium is a must for us, we are staying close to there for the three days of the conference. I do have another question,if I may?? There have been many restaurant suggestions, but if you were taking a client (who also does not live in the States), which one would you suggest?? We are all staying in Monterey; however, we will have a car to drive a short distance and would be looking for a place with a fantastic view and possibly Saturday Night entertainment!!<BR>Again, I thank everyone for the wonderful feedback.

David Apr 29th, 2002 11:50 AM

Roy's at the Inn at Spanish Bay would be a good choice for a special occasion dinner. Great food, great views, and it's in a big upscale hotel, so you may find other stuff going on a Saturday night. <BR><BR>It's a short drive from Monterey... right near the top of the 17 mile Drive (you'll get free admission to 17 Mile Drive if you tell them you're eating at Roy's)

toldham Apr 29th, 2002 11:53 AM

I have stayed that tickle pink--all the rooms hang on the cliff overlooking a pretty spectacular bay--all with nice decks---the highlands inn next door has similar rooms but many have real fireplaces, which is anice touch most of the year there

David Apr 29th, 2002 12:19 PM

Michele,<BR><BR>Monterey and Carmel (www.monterey.com) have lots to offer including the Monterey Bay Aquarium, Fisherman's Wharf, and 17 Mile Drive. Pacific Grove is also a nice town in the area to visit. The best route to Monterey and Carmel from the Peninsula would be the scenic 280 south into San Jose to 17 south which takes you through the spectacular Santa Cruz Mountains. I would suggest taking Highway 17 before the afternoon rush hour during the week (4-7pm) as the traffic leaving the city can be a pain. You should have no problem before 4pm on weekdays or on the weekends. I would recommend you check out Big Basin State Park (www.bigbasin.org) Take the Big Basin/Mount Herman Road exit from Highway 17. Another worthwhile place to visit is roaring camp in Felton, also in the Santa Cruz mountains where you can take a steam train tour of the Redwoods.(www.roaringcamprr.com)

amy Apr 30th, 2002 07:21 AM

Here's another vote for Roy's and the Inn at Spanish Bay for dinner. Make sure you make a reservation well in advance ... and go a little early to have a drink on the stone patio ... overlooking the greens and the ocean ... torches all around you .... bagpipers ... heavenly!

Michele Apr 30th, 2002 09:55 AM

I have just checked out the Web-site for Roy's at Spanish Bay Inn. Wow, what a fantastic place!!<BR>I did notice that they also have another restraunt, Italian, is Roy's better?? Is it formal enough at night?<BR>Thank you again for the info. <BR>We have decided to head from SFO to Santa Cruz and stay in that area for the first night,then off to our Hotel in Monterey for the next four nights and back to SF for the last two days. I have not yet found alot of info on Santa Cruz (other than their Boardwalk), so we may just drive and find a place when we arrive.<BR>Many thanks! PS I did not know that you had to pay to drive the 17 Mile road ...

David Apr 30th, 2002 10:04 AM

<BR><BR>Message: vw,<BR>You may want to look into the West Coast Santa Cruz Hotel. The last time I was there it was called the Dream Inn. I believe that each room has an ocean view. It was nice back then, and I assume that it is probably even better now.<BR><BR><BR><BR>http://www.caohwy.com/w/westcsch.htm<BR>

David Apr 30th, 2002 10:08 AM

Be aware that the Monterey Peninsula is often quite cool and sometimes downright cold, even at times of year you wouldn't expect it.<BR><BR>I've been there twice in August...5 miles inland it was 80 degrees and sunny, but along the Monterey and Carmel coastline it was 55 with thick clouds. Be prepared and you won't mind it

Michele May 14th, 2002 06:41 AM

Hello everyone! I just called Roy's to make a reservation and the conceirge recommended the Italian restraunt that is open for dinner only. He was not able to take my reservation (as they weren't open); but I took a look at the other hotels on 17 mile. DOes anyone know what the restaurants are like at Pebble Beach Inn?? I know that it will be a longer drive; however, we would likely drive there to take a look anyway. Should we ignore the conceirge and stick with Roy's?? Should we agree with the conceirge or should we go with Pebble Beach?? <BR>Thank you for your input! We truly want to make this a night that our company will not forget ...