Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

First time to Cape Cod: How do I find a beach house?

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 03:13 AM
Tricia

Have never been to the Cape.
I'm very interested in renting a beach house for a week next summer. How far in advance does one need to reserve?
My kids are teens. Will want a beach where they can have fun in the surf. There are so many beaches to choose from!
Is anyone familiar with the availability of beach houses? Am I more apt to find a townhouse or condo? Across the street from a beach would also be fine.
When I look at a map, I see Chatham, Eastham & Wellfleet that appear to have beaches on the ocean side. I want to see all of the Cape Cod National seashore!
If anyone has any recommendations, I would love to hear from you.
This site helped me plan our last vacation ~ I'm just beginning to plan the next.
Thank you.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 04:23 AM
Laura

The Cape Cod chamber of commerce could help you. They will send you all kinds of info. Also ask for Realtors in the area.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 04:31 AM
gail

Try realtors, this fall/winter for next summer. Most usually have deadline for past customers to re-rent same house next year and then open it up to others.

Expect to pay a good amount for house that close to beach. Would down-the-street work for you, since they are teenagers?

You will be very unlikely to find anything to rent right on National Seashore - in fact, many of those beaches require driving, even for local residents. Also, think seriously about the trade-offs for teens. They can't be at beach all day every day and then will want something else to do. In most locations, if you are that close to the beach, you are not very close to much else (food, arcades, movies) - which my teens also want.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:15 AM
cape

Try www.vrbo.com for a list of properties rented directly from owners.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Gayle

This year we rented a beautiful beach house on Nantucket. We used http://weneedavacation.com/ which is a very well laid out site with excellent information and pictures.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Nikki

We rented houses in Eastham for many years from Meadow Marsh Realty. They used to have lots of listings each summer. Best to contact them in the winter for next summer.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:34 AM
nina

Weneedavacation.com is a good site, as is cyberrentals.com. Or just go to your search engine and type in "name of town vacation rental".

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Tricia

Thanks so much for the replies & website! I'm still browsing the site, and trying to determine the best place to stay.
Gail: Where do you recommend staying? Yes, I want the kids to have "stuff" to do. Just love the idea of waking up close to the beach.
I would be interested in any suggestions you have. Thank you.