Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   First Time SF Rental Car Priceline (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/first-time-sf-rental-car-priceline-654234/)

1JAR Oct 21st, 2006 07:39 PM

First Time SF Rental Car Priceline

SUV rentals are at a high price for our annual T Day shoping trip to San Francisco..
curently have a resv with Alamo $65.00 a day

Anyone have any exp to share..? Scares me it is a fait acompli when I give my credit card....
(BTW..got Grand Hyatt union square for 140 a night plus used 1 free night award, Alaska airlines for 277. for 2 of us)

Andrew Oct 21st, 2006 08:48 PM

Do your research before bidding. Check rental car rates at all the major rental car companies, not just Alamo. When comparing the best rate to a Priceline bid, compare the final total with taxes included. Say Alamo is $500 total with taxes and fees. Then try punching $40/day (for example) into Priceline and see what total it gives you. Say it comes up at $400 total with taxes/fees. Is saving $100 enough? If not, punch in a lower number. Don't be afraid to shoot a little low, as you have a few weeks yet to get it. Increase your bid each time.

Look at BiddingForTravel.com to see recent wins for SFO around your dates.

Andrew

cabovacation Oct 21st, 2006 09:06 PM

Do you really need a car? An SUV? A cab would be cheaper and probably a whole lot easier in San Fran.

1JAR Oct 22nd, 2006 05:08 PM

Txs Andrew...

1JAR Oct 23rd, 2006 06:44 PM

ok I looked at biddingfortravel.com..had previously looked at all the rentals at SFO..alamo was the best rate for Suv.

So it lokks like someone got a one day from Hertz for 20.00 this summer..closetest date I could find...
so I am going to Bid 25.00 (starting low and see waht happens..

LoveItaly Oct 23rd, 2006 07:03 PM

Hi1JAR, are flying into SFO or Oakland? And you are staying in SF to do shopping over the Thanksgiving Day weekend? Unless you plan on going out of SF you don't need any type of rental vehicle in SF. Parking is expensive, driving over that weekend is worse than usual. And plan on paying around $40.00 a night to park the vehicle, I am assuming your $140.00 at the Grand Hyatt (which is a great price btw) does not include parking. If you need a rental vehicle for a day you can rent one at the Union Square area. Just my thoughts.

Andrew Oct 23rd, 2006 08:40 PM

1JAR, you should base your bid on available rates not just what someone got last summer. If the going rate when they got their $20 bid was $35, yet the rate when you need an SUV was $65, you'd want to adjust your bid up accordingly.

Andrew

janisj Oct 23rd, 2006 09:19 PM

Thanksgiving weekend - shopping in SF - rental car?? I wouldn't.

The Fri. and Sat. after Thanksgiving are a ZOO in the central shopping areas. And this year will probably be even worse than usual because the new shopping center has really inadequate parking and REALLY huge crowds.

I'd stick to taxi/bus/trolly and foot . . . . .

tracys2cents Oct 24th, 2006 07:08 AM

It's easy to get into the city from SFO now....have you checked the rates to just pick up a van near the hotel for one day of shopping...maybe even returning it to SFO?
National, Avis, Hertz, Avis all have downtown desks. Rates can be half that of the airport, or double...you never know.

1JAR Oct 24th, 2006 06:55 PM

Txs Andrew...I will try it a little higher..

Everyone else,.. I appreciate the thoughts but we have our routine down well organized for car trips and we need the SUV..