Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   First Time RVing - Is my itinerary on overkill for 10 day trip? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/first-time-rving-is-my-itinerary-on-overkill-for-10-day-trip-1033059/)

pbeaver Dec 28th, 2014 08:18 PM

First Time RVing - Is my itinerary on overkill for 10 day trip?

Driving our vehicle from Mi to SD. That drive time is not included in the 10 nights we will have with a rented 25ft RV w/husband and two sm/med dogs. Picking up RV end of June in Rapid City SD. Route may be a bit much (that where I need your expertise). First day probably not on road until 2pm (due to RV pickup not before 1pm). Drive to Red Lodge area to camp for 1st night. Day 2 take Beartooth to northern Yellowstone NP on 212 to 89 to Eagle Creek Campground area for 1 night. Been to YNP so just thought we would check out Lamar Meadow/Valley (212) area for wildlife on our way to Eagle Creek Campground. Day 3 head north to Polsen area for the night. Day 4 head to east side of Glacier NP. Never been to GNP. Not big hikers but would like to do a couple/few shorter hikes. I saw a link for areas to hike so I think I'm covered there. Its all about the wildlife and beautiful surroundings for us with some hiking, rafting, boating along the way. PLUS we have the dogs. Just can't bear to leave them home. Any info on Doggy Day Care throughout this rode trip would be appreciated. After GNP we will head a more direct route back to Rapid City SD to check out Black Hills and Mt Rushmoor etc for 2/3 days. Since Badlands are on our way home after RV drop off we will spend time via our car to check it out. Have I allowed sufficient time to enjoy the trip and not spend all day driving? Miles can be deceiving on this terrain and with an RV to boot. Also concerned the RV will be are only mode of transportation. (no quick trips to the store or siteseeing). Seems like a huge inconvenience but people do it all the time... We have camped all our lives but always in a tent and traveling by car. Were both in mid & upper 50's so hoping we enjoy this luxury, but not feel constrained. ANY help/advice with any part of this trip is welcome. Thank you!

Ackislander Dec 28th, 2014 11:59 PM

When?

utahtea Dec 29th, 2014 11:32 AM

Ackislander, pbeaver mentioned the end of June.

Beartooth should be open. I've never stayed at Eagle Creek Campground but I looked it up. There are only 10 sites. Yellowstone is already getting crowds by early June so I have no idea if you will be able to get a campsite by the time you arrive or not.

In Glacier you will NOT be able to drive your RV over the Going to the Sun Highway because of the vehicle length restrictions. http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/gttsrfaq.htm The free shuttles don't start until July 1. If you plan on being at Glacier on or after July 1 then I highly recommend making reservations for camping because the park will probably get packed for the week before and after the July 4th holiday! http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm I don't know which hikes you planned or where in the park but these facts might change your plans. You might try the Many Glacier area for hikes. We saw bears at Many Glaciers moose on Red Falls & Fisher Cap Lake hike.

We've had an RV of some kind for the last 40 years and we have had two motorhomes over the last 23 years. We did the Beartooth Highway in our 23 ft class A motorhome. LOVED IT! Take your time and enjoy the pull outs! Driving an RV will take longer and the driver is going to get more tired than driving a regular vehicle. Finding parking in the parks will be harder!

Since you will be moving almost daily, just try to get your dumping, water fill up and shopping done while you are out and about. No matter how much we planned with the smaller motorhome we found we still forgot things so do the least set up you can get away with so each time you need to move it doesn't take too long.

If you plan to stay at Custer State Park in South Dakota....make RESERVATIONS!

Dogs are not allowed on the trails in the National Parks.

Dayle Dec 29th, 2014 05:56 PM

Are dogs allowed in the RV you are renting? It would be horrible to arrive at the pickup with a paid reservation only to be told dogs are not allowed in your rental!

pbeaver Dec 30th, 2014 08:35 PM

Thank you for your replies and information. We plan to depart from Rapid City June 23. The RV rental does allow pets. So many campgrounds I see don't accept reservations and are first come first serve. I am going to try to do some better research on campgrounds and attempt to get reservations locked in where I can. I know I will have to be really careful about not planning too great of distances if I'm going to pay upfront. Also, I didn't realize the shuttles at GNP didn't start until July. I was hoping going earlier in the season would help with crowds but I see I am also restricting access due to seasonal schedules. What do you all think about our time frame? Ten nighs to cover YNP briefly, GNP for 3 nights and 2-3 nights in the Black Hills (begin and end in Rapid City SD). Is it too much or should it be manageable (enjoyable)? Thank you!

Dayle Dec 31st, 2014 08:12 AM

p -

I would take some of the 10 days in Yellowstone and spend 2 - 3 in Grand Teton Natl Park. 7 days would be long enough for Yellowstone for most people, even if you want to do some hiking and see ALL the sights.

utahtea Jan 1st, 2015 07:34 PM

Dayle, It is my understanding that it's 10 nights total and they are only driving though Yellowstone to do the Beartooth Highway.

pbeaver, It's do able in 10 days but I'm not sure how enjoyable it will be. I don't really see how you can fit 3 nights at Glacier and 2 nights in the Blackhills. You really will need the 3 nights in Glacier but I'm not ever sure why you would want to spend 2 nights in the Blackhills. We've spent some time in Deadwood, but unless anyone else has ideas....I'm not sure what else there is to do here. You might visit Deadwood and then try and stay in Custer State Park or Badlands National Park the last two nights. If you decide on Custer State Park you will NEED reservations. By the time you get there it will be close to the 4th of July weekend.

Here is what your plan really looks like:

6-23 Rapid City to Red Lodge 380 miles. That's a pretty good amount of driving for a first day. Please make sure you have reservations in Red Lodge. You will probably have to go with a private campground. I can look up the one we stayed at if you want.

6-24 Red Lodge to Gardiner/Eagle Creek Campground 120 miles

6-25 Gardiner to Polson is 350 miles.

6-26 Polson to West Glacier, then to East Glacier taking Hwy 2 south - east around the park will be about 160 miles...depending on where else you decide to visit that day.

6-27 & 6-28 East Glacier

6-29 & 6-30 It' approx. 675 miles from East Glacier to Spearfish, South Dakota so that's going to mean one night on the road.

7-1 Exploring Blackhills

7-2 Black Hills to Rapid City - Mt. Rushmore approx. 50 miles.

I'm pretty sure that eats up your 10 nights...unless I have read your post wrong.

Utahtea

Ozarksbill Jan 3rd, 2015 01:35 PM

We've done lots of fold down and trailer camping in years past. And explored the Black Hills and Yellowstone but not Glacier. Don't think I'll comment on exact route...Utahtea is familiar with the territory. I would say that too much driving can be tiring. Especially with a trailer. And that you shouldn't try to cover too much territory. And so I might question going to both Yellowstone and Glacier along with Black Hills. I am visioning some nice campgrounds with hiking and campfires. Yes, Grand Tetons is close. Can't advise on travel with pets.