Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   First Time Passport Question (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/first-time-passport-question-671169/)

amelie Jan 17th, 2007 12:30 PM

First Time Passport Question

I'm trying to help my parents get passports for the first time. The website says that they need to send in a certified birth certificate and that they will get it back. The actual application does not mention that it will be returned. They will be processing this at the post office, does the post office just look at it and give it back, or does it actually get sent away?
Do you feel safe sending your only copy, or do people go out and get additional certified copies of their birth certificates?

I don't remember what I did, as it was 10 years ago and I am just renewing mine by mail.

Thanks.

capxxx Jan 17th, 2007 12:47 PM

It gets sent away, but they will send it back with the passport. The passport office is very careful about not losing stuff like that.

buongiorno Jan 17th, 2007 12:57 PM

If I had 1 of an important document I would only send it out if I was sure it was easy to get another. Hence, if it's easy to get another, I would get a copy.

J_Correa Jan 17th, 2007 01:12 PM

All my docs got sent out and returned when I applied and when I changed my name on my passport. No problems.

One thing to double check - the requirements for what consistitutes an official copy have changed over the years, so make sure that your parents' copies have the right stamps, seels, etc. For example, a stamp by the county clerk used to be enough, but now many departments require the document to have a raised seal. I am not sure what the current requirements are, but if your parents' copies of their BCs have been around awhile, they may need to get new copies anyway.

It would be a hassle to go to the passport office only to have to come back with better documentation.

claire_bluesky Jan 18th, 2007 08:25 AM

It's not difficult to replace your passport even if it were to be lost. It can also be done quickly for a fee. I understand what you're saying though. I felt especially uncomfortable about sending my daughter's.

GoTravel Jan 18th, 2007 08:47 AM

If you don't send an original copy (the health department will not release your original birth certificate only an original copy), you will not get your passport.

No, they will not lose your birth certificate.

Tip: a certified original copy of your birth certificate is not the one with your newborn handprint and footprint.

Jed Jan 18th, 2007 09:43 AM

Make a copy of everything before you give it to them. It might help in getting a new certified copy in case you need it. ((*))

amelie Jan 18th, 2007 09:55 AM

Thanks!

eileenleft Jan 18th, 2007 10:20 AM

When I purchased certified birth certificates for my adult children, the first one was $20 and the second one, ordered at the same time, was $2. Worth it to get 2.

claire_bluesky Jan 18th, 2007 10:31 AM

oops, meant birth certificate rather than passport.