Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

first time New York City - recommend hotels under $300 (preferably closer to $200)

first time New York City - recommend hotels under $300 (preferably closer to $200)

Old Mar 13th, 2018, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going in June. We'll be catching a Pennsylvania Station train for a Saturday day-trip outside of the city (feel intimidated about taking the subway). Is Penn Station area nice/safe? Would we be better off in a different area and cabbing it to the Station (on a Saturday morning around 9am...traffic?) We've got 4 nights (including the one to be spent just outside the city). Any suggestions on "must see/do" in the big apple?

I know this is rather vague - but as I've gotten older I'm more overwhelmed by planning a trip - and so have become excellent at procrastinating (sigh). Any suggestions are welcome - thank you!
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 06:28 PM
kja

Well, I have no idea how many of you there are, and so whether it would work or not, but I'm fond of The Pod Hotel (actually, there are two):
https://thepodhotel.com

IMO, the subway system in NYC is extremely easy to use.

Unfortunately, NONE of us can tell you what to see or do -- it depends on your priorities! A good guidebook or two would provide you with a wealth of information, and you can consult guidebooks at your local library or bookstore. You would, I think, do well to consider why you want to go to NYC in the first place: For theater? art museums? architecture? Ellis Island? The list here is nearly endless, but with some forethought and some good guidebooks you should be able to get a handle on your priorities and then come back to us with questions that we will be better able to answer.

Good luck!
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 06:40 PM

Are you willing to use phone apps?
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 08:32 PM

Penn Station is safe but not very nice. The worst part will be the rush to the train when the platform is posted.

As a native NY'er, the subway system for the purposes of a tourist is extremely easy to use. All the lines in Manhattan except for the number 7, the 42nd Street shuttle, and L train run north/south. If you get off at the wrong stop you will not die. NY'ers who do not know their name, know the subway lines in Manhattan. Ask. The worst that will happen, is that it will cost you an extra fare. If you are over 65 show the token booth your SS card and you will get a reduced fare card. The only problem with that card is it will only valid for two uses, then you must purchase another.

The best subway line for the stops for Penn Station are the 1,2,3, A, C, E. And one block away are the B,D, N, R, W trains.

Have fun and stop worrying
Old Mar 14th, 2018, 03:59 AM

It is hard to recommend a hotel without knowing your exact dates, number of people, number of beds needed, etc. If you find the subway intimidating you can certainly stay in any part of the city and use a cab to get to Penn Station. 4 days is a very short period of time to see NYC, particularly since you are using one of those days to go elsewhere. You need to make a list of your most important things you want to do, put them on a map and plan your days around seeing sites in the same area.
Old Mar 14th, 2018, 05:24 AM

There are dozens of hotels within easy walking distance of Penn Station if you'd like to stay in the area, and while it's busy, it's a convenient place to stay. The Affinia Manhattan, for example, is literally across the street. But avoid the Hotel Pennsylvania if you can; it's usually cheap, but it's not a great hotel. There are relatively few good restaurants in the area, but there are a few really good Korean barbecue places. Finding a hotel under $200 a night is a different story. I'd strongly recommend you go onto Hotels.com or Trivago and see what might be available at a discount for your dates of travel. There could be some options around Penn Station or in the area they call "Times Square South" (i.e., south of 42nd Street). When you see something that catches your eye, come back, and we can give you feedback. But the easiest place to find a hotel under $200 is in Queens, 1 subway stop from Manhattan and a few more from Penn Station. There are several hotels in Long Island City that are well under $200 at most times of the year, including some that are brand new. Again, if you are unfamiliar with the city, please ask before booking something you can't change without a fee. The closest hotel to the subway is the Country Inn & Suites Long Island City, but it's not the newest or nicest option, but it's a decent hotel.

I think you should take the subway and get familiar with it because if you do it will be your friend, saving you both time and money when getting around the city.

Finally, Penn Station is divided into three parts, Amtrak, the Long Island Railroad, and NJ Transit. The station is sprawling, so where you go depends on the train you're taking. Ditto for buying tickets. (If you're taking Amtrak, buy your tickets as soon as your dates of travel are firm. Advance-purchase tickets are significantly cheaper than those booked at the last minute.)
Old Mar 14th, 2018, 06:59 AM

Be sure whatever the rates for whichever hotels you consider include the taxes. Hotels are charged at a special higher rate, about 15%, which could be a surprise when multiplied by four nights. Some websites show prices with taxes, some without.
Old Mar 14th, 2018, 08:02 AM

Ijust did a random nights search (June 14-18) and found quite a few decent hotels available for $200-$300 a night including tax. The Wellington was available for one queen bed for about $800 all in. I stayed there years ago - a decent, clean tourist class hotel. But there are a lot of others for about $1000 all in for four nights.
Old Mar 14th, 2018, 07:54 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I use Penn Station but I wouldn’t want to stay nearby. There are nicer areas not car away, Chelsea, or Mid town, are where I usually stay.
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 06:54 AM

I've stayed in several hotels near Penn Station and it's fine - there are several Marriotts, Hiltons, Kimptons etc. It's an urban working neighborhood - not where I'd live if I lived in Manhattan, but fine and convenient for a short visit.
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 12:40 PM

You can use a search engine like kayak.com to find hotels that have the amenities you want and that are within your budget. Read the reviews to see if it's clean, safe, and comfortable. The subway system isn't nearly as intimidating as I originally thought, and I'm not sure why New Yorkers have a reputation for being rude. The majority of them were very kind and helpful to obviously lost tourists.

As far as "must see/do," it's hard to make suggestions without knowing your interests. It wouldn't do any good to recommend the Met if you have no interest in art, a walking tour if you have mobility issues, or the Tenement Museum if you have no interest in history.