Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   First time in NY - Advise on Best Area (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/first-time-in-ny-advise-on-best-area-167962/)

Sharon Jan 15th, 2003 04:42 PM

First time in NY - Advise on Best Area

I am planning a vacation to NY City with my 14 year old son and want to stay in Midtown. Please don't be too hard on us, we are first timers looking for suggestions. Looking for opinions as to whether to stay right in the &quot;heart&quot; of Times Square (i.e. Marriott Marquis, Renaissance NY) or several blocks away. I've considered Parker Meridien to be close to the Park, or even Radisson Lexington on the East side. I'm wondering about area more than hotels.<BR><BR>Also, my sister is planning to go with us. I hear that NY hotels are very small. Can we plan to all stay in the same room to save money, or should be get separate rooms? <BR><BR>I appreciate any suggestions or opinions you may have.<BR>

gc Jan 15th, 2003 05:33 PM

Sharon,<BR>I think midtown is a great place to stay. Personally, I'd stay away from the Marquis...never enough elevators. There are a couple of other hotels in Times Square that are good...there names escape me at the moment...just remember that your room will be brightly lit.<BR>Stay away from W hotels. I'm partial to the Marriott East Side and the Grand Hyatt...though my understanding is that the GH is undergoing a lot of renovations at the moment...big rooms though.<BR>I've also had good luck in the lower priced Marriott properties.<BR>Keep asking clear, well thought out questions and you'll find this board to be a pleasure.<BR>Have fun!

a Jan 15th, 2003 05:44 PM

You can definitely find hotels that all of you can share. Room sizes really vary by hotel. I have stayed in rooms that fit the bed and no more. Others are the size of your typical hotel room. <BR>I never stayed at the Marriott Marquit, but can recommend the Crowne Plaza. <BR>As for location, Times Square has the excitment (and noise) of a major city. It is also convenient if you plan to go to the theater a lot.<BR>Midtown east will be considerably quieter.

Lois Jan 15th, 2003 05:49 PM

gc-what a nice response:)so there are still good people on this board..

jacque Jan 15th, 2003 06:06 PM

We have always stayed at Parker Meridien and found it to be a great location. We can walk to the Park, walk to Rockefeller Center, walk to shopping. The views are also spectacular (on the Park side). I can't remember if we walked to Times Square or not. I think we did.

Sharon Jan 16th, 2003 02:09 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts. I will keep researching and asking questions. I'm not crazy about staying right at Times Square. I would rather stay closer to the Park. However, so many people say if you go to New York, you have to stay at Times Square to experience it. I have to make that decision. Thanks for your opinions !

Tricia Jan 16th, 2003 03:02 AM

Hi Sharon,<BR>When my family goes to NY City, we stay at the Sheraton Manhattan. In addition to being a lovely hotel, they have an indoor swimming pool. There is a very good continental b'fast &amp; appetizer hour included in your rate. <BR>The rooms would be plenty big for 4 people.<BR>We love the location. We walk to Times Square, The Museum of Natural History &amp; Madison Square Garden. Long treks, yes, but that's the fun of NY!<BR>Have a great time! Tricia

gc Jan 16th, 2003 05:54 AM

Sharon,<BR>I think midtown is a great place to stay. Personally, I'd stay away from the Marquis...never enough elevators. There are a couple of other hotels in Times Square that are good...there names escape me at the moment...just remember that your room will be brightly lit.<BR>Stay away from W hotels. I'm partial to the Marriott East Side and the Grand Hyatt...though my understanding is that the GH is undergoing a lot of renovations at the moment...big rooms though.<BR>I've also had good luck in the lower priced Marriott properties.<BR>Keep asking clear, well thought out questions and you'll find this board to be a pleasure.<BR>Have fun!

x Jan 16th, 2003 05:58 AM

Sharon, you've gotten some great advice. I have to second the recommendation for Le Parker Meridian. Wonderful location on West 57th next door to Carnegie Hall and right around the corner to Central Park and Times Square.

gc Jan 16th, 2003 06:03 AM

Lois,<BR>Thanks. We try every now and then to be civil.<BR>8^)

cindy Jan 16th, 2003 07:43 AM

Sharon, try the Salisbury. They're in the same location as the Parker Meridien, basically - right across the road from Carnegie Hall at 7th and 57th. It's very close to Central Park, and easy walking distance to Times Square. I stayed there a lot until they renovated it and raised the prices accordingly, but I've heard of people getting good deals lately on some of the discount hotel sites. They have large rooms, and huge suites with full kitchens.

thereuare Jan 16th, 2003 07:52 AM

Bid the midtown zone for 2 rooms via Priceline. It'll be less crowded and more enjoyable for everyone... not to mention the convenience of not having 3 people share one bathroom/shower in the morning.<BR><BR>Check out biddingfortravel.com for details of how you're likely to get a 4 star hotel room for &lt;$100. So 2 rooms would cost you just about the same as 1 room thru conventional methods.

x Jan 16th, 2003 08:19 AM

thereure, bidding in just plane old Midtown doesn't cut it. There is Midtown West, Midtown East, Central Park South, and Midtown South.

claire Jan 16th, 2003 09:43 AM

Also try <BR>www.quikbook.com<BR>They are very good with NY hotels. I also like midtown locations, usually on the West side because it is near the theaters and Lincoln Center. And, crossing town from East to West at dinner or theater rush time is murder! The Gorham Hotel on W.55th has reasonably priced suites that might suite your family. All of their rooms and suites have kitchen facilities, which is handy &amp; can save some $.

Steve Jan 16th, 2003 05:12 PM

Sharon,<BR><BR>If you just want to have fun, then stay in Times Square. Obviously, it's very touristy and probably makes sense to entertain your son. <BR><BR>If you'd rather get a feel for what NYC feels like to its residents, you'd be better off going to another part of the city. It might be quieter and a little less hectic (or less exciting) there. <BR><BR>I'm not endorsing one choice over the other, just trying to point out the differences.

thereuare Jan 16th, 2003 06:13 PM

X,<BR><BR>Any of the midtowns will serve her purpose.

Mike Jan 16th, 2003 06:27 PM

Times Square is very crowded. As a New Yorker, I go out of my way to avoid it. If you stay at the Parker Meridien, you'll be within walking distance of Times Square so you can experience it all you want, but when you don't want to deal with it, you can go back to your hotel room. The Sheraton Manhattan (and the Sheraton New York across the street) are good compromises; they are just outside Times Square so you can still have the hustle and bustle. They are also within easy walking distance of Central Park and Rockefeller Center.<BR><BR>Also, look into the Novotel; I once had a room that overlooked Times Square, but it's about three blocks farther up Broadway from the Marquis.

xxx Jan 16th, 2003 06:39 PM

I wouldn't stay right in Times Square. See what's available on www.quikbook.com. They usually have rooms at the Parker Meridian and others that are in walking distance from Times Square. Standard rooms in NY hotels are usually small but often there are larger rooms (for more money) in the hotel.