Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   First time in Ney York with my 11 year old son (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/first-time-in-ney-york-with-my-11-year-old-son-599006/)

dagl Mar 14th, 2006 12:39 AM

First time in Ney York with my 11 year old son

In NYC 09/30/06-10/04/06 staying at The Belevedere $299US Deluxe room, Buffet B'Fast,good reviews,good position,good deal? Other suggestions would be appreciated.Have booked the Manhatten Compresive with Gray Line,the All Loop Double Decker, Spamalot at Shubert Theatre,any must do's? Thanks

dagl Mar 14th, 2006 01:01 AM

Sorry doubled up computer glitch

mclaurie Mar 14th, 2006 02:41 AM

If that price includes all taxes (which are about 18%), it's an "ok" deal. If it doesn't, you can do much better. It's a well regarded 3* BUDGET hotel that became so popular, it's jacked up the rates to be ridiculous. People would regularly pay under $200/night for it last year. The location is convenient near Times Square, but there are dozens of hotels in the area, not to mention other areas that are also convenient.

It's a bit early to get "deals" for next Oct., but on quikbook.com I see the Michelangelo Hotel which is a more luxurious hotel for less money ($240/260) and the Blakely, also a nicer hotel for $289/night. These prices don't include tax. Actually, the Belvedere is less expensive on quikbook at $315 for the first night and then $259 for subsequent nights. Unless your price includes tax, you're paying too much extra for breakfast. Breakfast is inexpensive in NYC, and sometimes nicer to go to different places than eat at the hotel every day.

There are also some good deals on the east side (previous hotels are on the west side). The Kimberly at $255/night is very good value.

As to other things to do/see, I think the Intrepid air & Space museum is included in your Gray line pkg. Top of the Rock is a new observatory at Rockefeller Center and people rave about it, esp. the view of Central Park. (Don't miss Central Park!) The Museum of Natural History is always good with kids. Walking the Brooklyn Bridge (from Brooklyn to Manhattan) for the views is also great. Stop at Grimaldi's in Brooklyn near the bridge for pizza. There's also the Brooklyn ice cream factory near it. The NY Water Taxi should still be running at that time. You can take it to the Fulton St. stop in Brooklyn, eat and then walk back. (nywatertaxi.com)

If you want another show, there are several off Broadway shows popular with kids: Blue Man Group, Stomp, Drumstruck. Some are often available with a discount. Check broadwaybox.com for discount codes closer to your trip.

dagl Mar 15th, 2006 04:49 PM

The price for the Belevedere does include tax,many are saying the hotel price has jumped dramatically over the last year but it still attracts excellent reviews.Didn't know about quickbook seems to be a good option.Thanks for your ideas on other things to see/do some really interesting alternatives.Is the New York pass good value or would it be better value to pay to get in to various sites? Thanks

grantop Mar 15th, 2006 05:03 PM

He may also enjoy Madame Tussauds Wax Museum, but it's a little pricey (especially if he's not into it and races through it) but I've taken kids there that have spent a few hours and loved it. The website is http://www.nycwax.com This also a good "raininy day" activity if you are going to be stuck inside for a few hours. There may even be some discount coupons at your hotel or the NYC Visitor's Center. The Visitor's Center has free guides, maps, brochures, and discount coupons to many attractions. It's at 810 Seventh Ave, between 52nd & 53rd and is open everyday starting at 8:30 AM.

grantop Mar 15th, 2006 05:04 PM

oops - that should be "rainy day"! Sorry!

wantsomesun Mar 15th, 2006 07:16 PM

I'd suggest taking a look at www.hotels.com. I think you can get a better rate at a better hotel booking there.

There is so MUCH to see for your 11 year old. The Museum of Natural History will be a HIT as will the Zoo in Central Park. Might also combine that with a ride on the CArousel, and a walk through the park. The trees should be turning about then.

I would get your son a book on NYC so he can see some of the tourist things to do, and have some choices of his own on what he wants to see.

Also check www.nyctourist and New York Magazine for what's happening while you are here.

KathrynT Mar 15th, 2006 07:18 PM

dagl, I'd would suggest keeping your reservation at the Belvedere for now but looking into other hotels wouldn't hurt. As the time gets closer, prices could drop.

I think your son will love Spamalot (mine did.) He also enjoyed the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.

Have you thought about the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island trip? If you're interested, be sure to visit the SOL website and try to take the first ferry of the day which will reduce your time waiting in the security lines considerably. Another big hit was the Empire State Building (although it was a long line mid-summer.)

I think the pass is a good deal only if you plan on visiting most of the sights it covers.

Have a great trip!

Neopolitan Mar 15th, 2006 07:49 PM

That does sound like an outrageous price for the Belvedere but NYC prices have skyrocketed. When I suggested it to friends looking for a "budget place" this past October (about those same dates I think) they couldn't get in for under $300 -- and that was for a standard room. I have no idea what a Deluxe room is there. They ended up renting a one bedroom apartment instead via NYCHabitat for about $179 a night -- and no taxes.

nytraveler Mar 16th, 2006 09:40 AM

Other options he might enjoy:

The real zoo in the Bronx if he's a devotee - it's about 10 times the size of the Central Park zoo and has several activities/rides over large environments (ie Wild Asia)

A baseball game if he's a fan - the Yankees are at home at the end of September and assume they will get into the post season as usual - and perhaps even the Mets as well this year.

Perhaps even the Met if you get a lot of rain - lots of kids love the arms and armor section - and I know at that age my brother was fascinated with Egyptian civilization - esp the sarcophagi

dagl Mar 20th, 2006 05:15 AM

Thanks for all your reply's it has certainly helped my planning for this trip.

charlotteguy Mar 20th, 2006 05:25 AM

I recently did a tour of Yankee Stadium. We were able to go on the field, lockerroom, dugout. It was great. Would be a good idea if your son is into sports. Just get on the #4 subway and it drops you off at the stadium.

rossbdo Mar 22nd, 2006 06:09 PM

My 10 year old son loved our visit to the Intrepid Air Space Museum, which is an aircraft carrier docked on the West side, near 46th St. Check their website - intrepidmuseum.org. Also try the Empire State Building observatory, but there can be lines. If you are willing to venture out after dinner, the lines are shorter at night and the view is spectacular. The Marriott Marquis Hotel at Times Square has a restaurant on top that is open for an early dinner or afternoon snack and you can sit by the window as the room revolves to see views in all directions.

dagl Mar 29th, 2006 12:35 AM

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions much appreciated by us both

mclaurie Mar 29th, 2006 02:13 AM

dagl, I realize no one answered your NY Pass question. Most tourist love the pass and feel they get their money's worth. It also allows you to skip lines. I think you should tally up the costs of the entries to the things you would go to regardless of whether you had the pass and see how much it is. Then decide.

In case I didn't make it clear, anything near $300 for the Belvedere imo is a joke. If you're going to pay that much, look at the Doubletree Suites Times Square where you'd get much more space. Otherwise, I'd go for the Michelangelo or the Blakely, both in slightly better locations than the Blevedere and much much nicer.

Kath Mar 29th, 2006 05:46 AM

ttt

Citylghts Mar 29th, 2006 12:49 PM

Literally a hidden treasure in NYC is the Federal Reserve Bank near Wall Street. All 12 of the FRBs give tours, but the one in New York has an added bonus-a gold vault.

The tours last about an hour and tell the functions of the bank and give a brief history in addition to a trip to the vault. There is no charge, but you must make advance reservations. Check the bank's website at www.ny.frb.org for details.

As for observation decks, I was last at the Empire State about 3 years ago. We waited in line about 90 mins. I went to the Top of the Rock in February and only waited about 10 minutes.

Citylghts Mar 29th, 2006 01:02 PM

Just looked at the FRB site and it says that students must be at least age 16. Don't know if this applies only to groups or not. Their info line is (212)720-6130.