Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   First Time In New Orleans And Need A Little Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/first-time-in-new-orleans-and-need-a-little-help-519747/)

M_Hardy Apr 8th, 2005 05:27 PM

First Time In New Orleans And Need A Little Help

I will be in New Orleans On April 19 to the 22. We have three days to do all the nessasary sights. I would like to know what sights are as good as they seem and what sights are just played up by the travel guides. I am also in need of some information on good resturaunts there.

ziggydoo Apr 8th, 2005 06:12 PM

Highlight Louisiana in the list of states, then hit search. There are so-o-o many topics that should interest you.

You might also try re-posting your question while at the Louisiana part of the board.

AND, Fodorites know about food. You will get many good suggestions RE restaurants.

ChristieP Apr 8th, 2005 06:30 PM

If you like history, definitely do the D-Day Museum. We spent 4 hours there and could have easily spent a whole day!

The Gumbo Shop has great food!!

M_Hardy Apr 10th, 2005 09:42 AM

Thanks ziggydoo and ChristyP I Think we accually might go see the D Day Museum. I Made reservations at Arnauds on Bourbon St. Have You been there? If so is it good?

live2traveltoo Apr 10th, 2005 10:43 AM

Mr. B's Bistro has a great menu we had the BBQ Shrimp which was wonderful. The restaurant was a little pricy but we thought it was worth the price that we paid. If you go, you have to have reservations and I think they have a dress code (everyone we saw was dressed)

Wayne Apr 10th, 2005 01:15 PM

Arnauds's will be a good choice for your dinner. There are other good restaurants, such as Galatoire, Commanders Palace, Peristyle, Bayona, Brigtsen's, Gabriella, and my favorite Broussard's -- all of these for a dinner. Lunch could be at places like Maspero, Gumbo Shop, Mother's, Mulate's, Old N'Awlins Cookery, Mandina's, and practically any other restaurant you might happen to pass by.

Sights: Aquarium in River Walk is a good one; City Park with New Orleans Museum of Art is a place I like; Audubon Park is enjoyable; antique shops along Royal Street and Magazine Street if you like that kind of thing; by all means the D-Day Museum; unusual cemetery near French Quarter; St. Louis Cathedral; the Cabildo; ferry ride across the Mississippi and back; old homes in the Garden District; plantation homes along the River Road; swamp tours (which I don't like). Probably enough to help you enjoy your stay. Good luck.

Tandoori_Girl Apr 10th, 2005 01:20 PM

My very favorite thing to do in New Orleans is go to Cafe duMonde and just sit and watch and eat beignets. Second Favorite has to be walk around the quarter and take in all the people, the smells, everything New Orleans. And the French Market on the weekends. If I do just these three things, I feel I've done plenty 'nuff.

M_Hardy Apr 11th, 2005 06:07 AM

So Far We Are doing Bourbon St. Royal St. The Aquarium Of The Americas Then Taking the Riverboat ride to the Audubon Zoo. I Also Think we are going to the D-Day Museum. Is The French Market Worth Seeing? We know we are eating at least once at Cafe Du Monde and we are eating at Arnauds or Commanders Palace. If you have been to either then let me know which one you think is better.

snowrooster Apr 11th, 2005 06:12 AM

I've been to both - I really like Arnaud's but I love Commander's. Both are New Orleans trations but I feel Commander's is more of a culinary experience.

MFNYC Apr 11th, 2005 06:14 AM

I thought City Park is well worth the trolley ride. The New Orleans Museum of Art (NOMA) there, also a sculpture garden, botanical garden, and recreational facilities (tennis, golf, I think horeseback riding, play grounds, smnall kiddie amusement park).

ALso I found the street musicians to be excellent, particularly the DIxieland Jazz bad that played near Jackson Square.

Borubon St wasn't my cup of tea, but adds to the character of the city and is worth checking out. Kind of like Times Sq to NYC.

M_Hardy Apr 11th, 2005 06:49 AM

From all we hear about Commander Palace we might just have to make a stop there too.

J_Correa Apr 11th, 2005 07:51 AM

We found the French Market to be a good place to buy souveniers (same stuff as in the shops elsewhere in the Quarter, but better prices).

BelleReve Apr 11th, 2005 08:21 AM

Farmer's Market/Flea Market is probably what people are referring to as the French Market. Definitely worth checking out. There is a 24 hr farmer's market, and beyond that, a lot of booths for souveniers. It's somewhat misleading, as most of the items sold are new, good shopping for t-shirts,spices, coffee, and prices are better than some most of the gift shops. There are a few outdoor cafes with small bands, and though you might have your meals planned, worth stopping for a cold one.

M_Hardy Apr 11th, 2005 09:12 AM

I Heard the prices there are always negotiable. Is that true?

BelleReve Apr 11th, 2005 09:17 AM

Yes, there is some haggling. What I would also advise, walk completely through it, before deciding, as there are differences in prices from booth to booth.

M_Hardy Apr 11th, 2005 09:21 AM

Thanks for the advise BelleReve. I'll be sure to keep that in mind.
P.S. I just made reservations at Comanders Palace (Thanks SnowRooster)

BelleReve Apr 11th, 2005 10:13 AM

M. Hardy - lunch or dinner? Either one, I'm envious. It's a wonderful restaurant and am sure you will enjoy it. If it's lunch, it is in the heart of the Garden District, and catty corner from Lafayette Cemetery. Guides from Save Our Cemeteries give a minimally-priced tour Mon-Wed-Fri-Sat at 10:30 AM. You just meet at the entrance. Maybe you can combine the tour, with lunch afterwards.

M_Hardy Apr 11th, 2005 11:32 AM

Accually We are going out for a nice dinner maybe after the aquarium and zoo. We heard so much about it we thought we would try it.

BelleReve Apr 25th, 2005 01:22 PM

M Hardy, how was your trip? After catching up with things at home, how about giving us a follow up report.