Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

First time in Hawaii for Anniversary Trip: Please help! :)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone. My husband and I are travelling to Hawaii next summer for our anniversary. We've been to the Caribbean many times but this is our first trip to Hawaii and we don't know where to start. A little information about us....We prefer low-rise condos, nice accomodations (prefer to stay under $250/nt for this trip), ability to cook in our room some, snorkelling, walks on the beach, ocean-front, great views, friendly service, pool. We prefer quieter beaches and want to be as far away from city-life as possible. We enjoy hiking, biking, and anything outdoors. We'll be staying for 7 nights in June. Questions:
1) Which island do you recommend?
2) Which area of that island do you recommend?
3) Hotels, condos, or resorts that you prefer?
4) Good travel websites or agents who can help us since we're novices?
5) Any great tricks for cheap airfare? (We'll travel from Indianapolis, Indiana.)
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 04:26 PM

Hi PharmGirl. First off, how many years? Congratulations on the Anniversary. We are going this year for the first time, too. Also for Anniversary. I have been doing LOTS of research, so I have a few places you can start.
- First off, this forum is terrific. Lots of knowledgeable people, lots of opinions, lots of great advice
- HawaiiGaGa.com has a questionairre to help you decide which island(s) would suit you best - we are going to Kauai for our week
- TripAdvisor.com - my travel bible - lots of good info & reviews
- vrbo.com - Vacation Rental by Owner - a good place to look for condos
- books: The Ultimate (insert island name here) Guide
Fodors travel guides
(insert island name here) Trailblazer
Now's a great time to book! We got an oceanfront room on Kauai for $99/night & airfare from Newark, NJ to Honolulu for $476 roundtrip. With this awful economy, there are great deals to be had.
When looking for airfare deals, here's what I did. First off, read reviews on the airlines (TA & Fodors Forums are good places to start). We decided to go Continental. Supposedly there are deals to be had by booking everything together, but I couldn't find any to beat my finds when I booked things individually. Once I decided on Continental, I just plugged my info into Continental.com and checked on the prices every few days. Then I found that checking more than once a day was the way! The fare was $610 for weeks. The day I booked, I checked in the morning (610), then on a whim I checked before bed & it was down to $476. Same day! Next morning, back to 610. Also, when ready to book, go to SeatGuru.com & plug in the aircraft type. It will help you decide what seats to choose, what seats to avoid.

Good luck to you! From what I've heard (from this forum, especially), you will have a WONDERFUL adventure. We will be going this August & I plan to post a trip report.

Karen
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 04:38 PM

Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...trip-to-hi.cfm
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, Hawaiivirgin! This is very helpful. I'm off to hawaiigaga right now to check on the island!
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 05:06 PM

oh, do tell what island suits you best!
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 05:24 PM

I suggest that you buy a good guide book that covers all the main islands. Frommers books are good and so are Fodors for giving one an overview of the islands. As you read, you will start deciding what sounds good and what attributes on each island appeal to you or not. It is a great way to get started.
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 07:30 PM

I just did the gaga quiz and it looks like Maui is my best bet. I had been thinking of Kauai but it sounds like I might like Maui better. So now I am on a Maui hunt.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 02:24 PM

First congrats on your Anniversary!

My husband and I have been to Maui several times. Unfortunately we can't speak for the other islands (I'm sure they are amazing) but if its helpful I can offer that we are head over heels in love with Maui.

Maui is one of the chain's greenest and most lush Islands, and there is an awesome variety of activities to chose from (snorkling, catamaran trips, volcano biking, the Hana Highway drive, secret beaches, wine tasting, etc.). Although parts are pretty built up, I still always feel like I am surrounded by polynesian culture and I think you'd find it to be a nice balance of beauty and local personality. To us, Maui is truly paradise.

Here's my personal scoop on a few of Maui's neighborhoods, if you end up moving forward with Maui...

We stayed in Ka'anapali the first time and loved it. While it is a busy stretch of high-rise hotels, the upside is that the pools are all stunning and the grounds, from one end of the strip to the other, are perfectly manincured (with an amazing view to a nearby Island). There is a nice sidewalk between the hotels and the beach creating a lovely stroll day or night, and making it easy to get around to restaurants and shopping. If you're not too keen on the highrises, you could consider the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel, which is a family-run low rise in the middle of the strip. We stayed at the Marriott but had our last two nights at the KBH and found it to be not quite as glamorous, but incredibly friendly and warm.

Kihei has a lot of condo-style rentals but we found the area more like "living Maui", not as much "vacation Maui". Its a busy area and since it sounds like you'd prefer less of a city-feel I wouldn't recommend it. Lahaina is also a busy area so based on your post I suggest you elect another area, and just plan to pass through Lahaina some evening (to shop or eat).

If the activity at Ka'anapali sounds too commercial, I might suggest the Wailea area - might be the perfect compromise for you. The stretch is much smaller than the Ka'anapali area and therefore feels a little more remote without feeling alone. It also has its own collection of great restaurants and shops nearby so it might be the best of all the worlds for you... off the beaten path but not isolated. Maui's Four Seasons hotel is located in Wailea and I think the general feeling of quiet exclusivity spreads up the beach.

I'm sorry I don't have anything to help with the other islands, but if you decide to pursue Maui, now or later on, hopefully this will be helpful. Hawaii is amazing - enjoy your planning and your trip!

PS - I hear Kauai is also beautiful!
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 08:20 PM

Hey PharmGirl, just wondering if you've had a chance to do the HawaiiGaGa quiz & where it sent you. Just curious.
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I did the quiz and it says Kauai w/ Maui as a very close second. Great quiz! Thanks for the recommendation.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 03:30 PM

I recommend Kauai. I have been going there for the last ten years. It is beautiful, peaceful and there are amazing sights everywhere you turn. If you decide to go there I have some restaurant picks, sights etc to help you get started. I have never spent more than 3 nights in Maui so it would not be fair of me to comment on that island.
Good Luck
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 03:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd go to Maui. I think its an incredibly romantic island for your honeymoon.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 06:22 PM

Hi Pharmgirl,

Your post suggests so many things that make me say "Oh, she'd love this place," and so many that make me say, "i guess not." I'm an ardent and long time fan of Kona Village Resort. It's (quoting you) "low-rise, nice accomodations, snorkelling, walks on the beach, ocean-front, great views, friendly service, pool. We prefer quieter beaches and want to be as far away from city-life as possible. We enjoy hiking, biking, and anything outdoors." I edited out what you said about the cost and cooking in your room. Kona Village is a resort based on the idea of a Polynesian village. Everyone has a separate bungalow, the food is all included, it's quiet--no radio or TV, no A/C (wait! Don't go away for a minute!) There are no two story buildings on the property, and it's an enclave of quiet loveliness with a very warm and welcoming staff and clientelle. The return rate is a phenominal 65%, and I've returned over 30 times. I'm so fond of the place I spent a good part of the summer doing a website which describes it in great detail, with 265 pictures! (No, I have no connection with them except that of devoted guest.) if you're curious, you'll be able to decide if it's a place for you. Can't hurt to look: www.davidskvrnet. By the way, most of us don't bother to rent a car because we just don't want to leave the village once we get there. it's a very special place.
David
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 06:15 AM

Sorry--that should be www.davidskvr.net. (I left out the dot.)
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 05:03 AM

Happy Anniversary! My husband and I went for our 25th 2 yrs ago. It was a wonderful trip. We spent 2 nights in Oahu so we could see Waikiki Beach, Black Diamond Volcano,Pearl Harbor, Polynesian show and drive the North shore. I'm glad we saw these sights once, but when we go back to Hawaii, we will skip Ouau since it was very commercialized. We then went to Maui for 8 days and stayed in a timeshare in Ka'anapali. It was spectacular! It is a great location. My favorite memories are parasailing, snorkeling, and walking/swimming on the gorgeous beaches. Although The Road to Hana was not close-by I would highly recommend it. My teenage daughters did not appreciate it like we did, they . thought it was too long. I can't wait to go back to Maui. Have a fantastic time!