Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   First Time in Hawaii (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/first-time-in-hawaii-323060/)

wandl02 Jun 2nd, 2003 05:19 AM

First Time in Hawaii

My wife and I are looking to celebrate our one year anniversary in Hawaii. We'll have a week, and need to fly Delta into Honolulu or O'ahu. We can then take a hop flight onto any island from there.

Our goal is a romantic vacation. We would prefer to stay at a bed and breakfast, especially one with a garden tub. We would also like to be as close to nature and as far away from the city as possible.

We would greatly appreciate recommendations on which island to choose and any bed and breakfast.

Thanks

RichinPA Jun 2nd, 2003 05:31 AM

For a quiet romantic getaway, I would recommend Kauai. I have some info compiled. Drop me a line and I can email it to you.

islandmom Jun 2nd, 2003 02:50 PM

Not Oahu for a B&B. I've seen some great ones in the Big Island.

alliegator Jun 2nd, 2003 03:09 PM

I second Kauai! It's a beautiful, peaceful Island, very romantic. Sorry can't help you with the B&B.

Maggi Jun 2nd, 2003 08:18 PM

On Kauai, try www.kauaivilla.com
Not a B & B, but your own self-contained two story house in a heavenly area with lots of privacy.

luckyboy Jun 3rd, 2003 07:14 PM

My wife and I just got back from Hawaii. If you want romance, I would say skip Oahu and go straight to Maui. Drive the road to Hana and spend a few nights at the Hamoa Bungalow (2 miles past Hana). We stayed there 3 nights and could've stayed longer. It is not a B&B, but a 600-square foot home in the "jungle". It is surrounded by native foilage, banana trees, etc. and the birds wake you up each morning. There is a King Bed, full kitchen and jacuzzi tub on the screen porch. You have a view of the ocean and can walk to the beach. There's other isolated beaches and pools you can drive to around Hana if you actually want to leave the bungalow. The town is not commercialized at all, but quiet and small. The web site is: www.Hamoabay.com/bungalow

bogart Jun 4th, 2003 05:17 AM

We loved Kauai! I think it's exactly what you are looking for. Friends of ours raved about Gloria's - a B&B on the south shore. While we were there we drove by and from what we could see it looked quite charming.

http://www.gloriasbedandbreakfast.com/

congrats and enjoy!

iceeu2 Jun 4th, 2003 05:51 AM

You may enjoy Maui....and if you get lucky and act quickly, you can fly Delta direct into the airport on Maui and not even have to go to Oahu.
Kauai is my pick, but I would definitely would not have missed my Maui experiences for anything.
You are going to love whichever island you pick.

wandl02 Jun 5th, 2003 05:36 AM

Thank you for all of your responses. I'm undecided on whether to fly into Honolulu or Maui. I'm using Delta Skymiles so it doesn't matter which one I fly into.

I don't necessarily need a B&B, we've just had great experiences with them. I would like a place with a jacuzzi or garden tub and that is close to the beach. I also can't spend $275/night. I'm looking more at the $150/night and less range. (It's our first anniversary. If I shoot the moon on this one, expectations will be way too high for 2 through 50.)

JohnD Jun 5th, 2003 05:57 AM

Suggest you fly directly to Maui (OGG) or connect through Oahu (HNL) to Kauai (LIH). Maui is larger than Kauai and has more activities to choose from but is also more crowded than Kauai. Suggest that you search online for "kauai condos" for example and take a virtual tour to see what you get, you will find many in your price range if you stay for a week. Other helpfull guide books for rooms and activities worth checking out include: The "Utimate Guide to Kauai", and "Maui Revealed" available at Barnes&Noble, Borders etc. You will be sure to enjoy your anniversary on Maui or Kauai!