Reload this Page >

First time in Florida for a French family

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 03:34 AM
Valerie

We are a french family and we have planned to visit florida the last 2 weeks of August.

We would like to know what are the best places to go with our children (from 4 to 10 years old) ?
We will arrive in Miami, and we are thinking of making a "loop", that is to say to go firstly on the Atlantic Coast, then Orlando (we will visit SeaWorld, but we have not planned to see Disney World, we prefer to spend time in areas that do not look like what we can find in Europe) and come back to Miami by travelling on the West Coast.

Where are the best beaches for children ? Is Sannibel Island a good place to stay ?
What are the unsafety areas to avoid with children ? We have heard of snakes, robbery, ...

Thanking you in advance for your hepl.

P.S. If you need some advice regarding a vacation trip in France, just email me.

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 03:58 AM
Cal

I would NOT skip Walt Disney World just because you have one in Europe, We have Disney Land in California which I have visited many times. However we have also visited WDW in Orlando and there is no comparison other than Main Street. WDW has Epcot, Universal Studios and much more.

August will be very hot and humid in Florida. We used to live there. A loop trip is not a bad idea. Travel north on the Atlantic side to Daytona Beach. This is an excellent beach especially for children. Try to visit St. Augustine for its historical significance. Then travel west to Orlando. Visit Cyprus Gardens where they have a great water ski show. From Orlando go east to Tampa. Visit Busch Gardens in Tampa. Kids will love it and you will find it enjoyable also. Then travel south along the west coast to Naples and then back across to the Atlantic side.

Sannibel Island is great. As far as safety goes, just exercise reasonable caution like you would anywhere else. Snakes are not a problem as long as you stay on the beaten path. Crime can occur anywhere so just be cautious but not paranoid. Be careful wandering around Miami and Tampa as they are large cities with some not so desireable areas. Same is true for Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale but on a lesser scale. Stick to the tourist areas and you should be just fine.

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 08:03 AM
Kittie

Hello Valerie,

Cal gave great advice!

I would also suggest Universal Studios in Orlando. We have been there a couple of times. Although it is not part of Walt Disney World (WDW). Cypress Garden's is great also!
Busch Garden's in Tampa is alot of fun! While in the Tampa area maybe go to Clearwater beach. It has a very nice beach with alot of things to do like parasailing and boating.
Sannibel Island is nice and relaxing.
As for safety, I agree with Cal 100%. I will add...put your money in a pocket and lock your car doors. These are things that I do when travelling anywhere in the world.
As for snakes...just stay to the paths and eating /mowed areas at any rest stop you stop at and you should be fine.
Please feel free to email me with any questions you may have.
Kittie

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 03:15 PM
Erni Hirsch

I would highly recommend Hollywood Beach, about 30 minutes from Miami. The Beach is uncrowded, bordered by about 5 miles of broadwalk which houses shops and cafes etc. It is great for strolling, jogging, rollarblading, bike riding etc. There is a play area and paddleball courts beachside too. A nature partk with canoe trails and areas to charter group fishing boats are minutes away. In addition, most places along the beach speak French. Hollywood is a great location to explore anywhere from the upper Keys to Palm Beach. There are great places to eat and a lot to do in the area.

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 06:21 PM
graziella

Bon jour, In the west coast of Florida do not miss Tarpon Springs this is a little town founded by Greek sponge fishermen. It has retained its Greek character and most people there are Greek, or Greek Americans.
There is a very nice restaurant where locals go, good home made g reek food, I cannot remmember the name now , but if you are interested I shall find it out for you.
We live in Miami Beach, which is very nice too, the Southern tip is called South Beach and it is a little on the wild side, lots of night clubs etc so although it is an international playground it might not be ideal for children. But near BallHarbour where we live it is a lovely beach and there are more things to do in Miami that elsewhere.
For instance we do have the Everglades very close an exciting area, where you can ride canoes or air boats, this is fascinating. There are probably lovely areas in the West Coast, like Sand Key, Longboat Key etc. Send me an e mail if you need to ask questions, when you say you are a French family, from what part of France are you? Best regards, Graziella.

graziella

Bon jour, In the west coast of Florida do not miss Tarpon Springs this is a little town founded by Greek sponge fishermen. It has retained its Greek character and most people there are Greek, or Greek Americans.
There is a very nice restaurant where locals go, good home made g reek food, I cannot remmember the name now , but if you are interested I shall find it out for you.
We live in Miami Beach, which is very nice too, the Southern tip is called South Beach and it is a little on the wild side, lots of night clubs etc so although it is an international playground it might not be ideal for children. But near BallHarbour where we live it is a lovely beach and there are more things to do in Miami that elsewhere.
For instance we do have the Everglades very close an exciting area, where you can ride canoes or air boats, this is fascinating. There are probably lovely areas in the West Coast, like Sand Key, Longboat Key etc. Send me an e mail if you need to ask questions, when you say you are a French family, from what part of France are you? Best regards, Graziella.

graziella

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 06:59 PM
bruno

Valerie,
On a fait un trip semblable au votre au mois de Decembre dernier. Tu peux jeter un coup d'oeil a notre site web ( www.pimico.fr/ab ) ou tu trouveras des photos de notre trip ainsi qu'un classement des villes et parcs. Pour plus de renseignements n'hesites pas a nous contacter par email.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 02:43 AM
cedar

If you can make it to the 1st City, St. Augustine, it would be worth it....alot of history and the St. Augustine beaches are wonderful. Not as many crowds....

I would skip Daytona...too tacky and crowded.

The gulf side is more tropical but, also crowded.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 02:53 AM
graziella

Bon Jour, c'est moi un autre foix!

I have been reading the Sunday local newspaper The Miami Herald and it is full of Summer offers for all Florida.
If you are interested I can mail it to you.
There is one particullarly interesting information: there is a fairly new ecological resort complex 72 miles North of -West of Orlando.
They offer this Summer a special rate of $80 a night per lodge housing several people- from now thru Sep.
Normal high season rate is $125
This rate includes breakfast for two.
Activites at this resort called "The Refuge" are biking, hiking, horseback riding,canoeing, kayaking , a craft center, performing arts center and the best birding in Florida. Swimming pool and restaurant with regional specialities,too.
I do not know this place personally but this information has been offered by Arthur Frommer, a very well known name here for travel information. He is most reliable.

The newspaper is full of offers for instance the Marriot Hotel in Delray Beach facing the ocean offers rooms with breakfast for 105 per room per night, rate valid till August 31, check marriotthotels.com/PBIDR
the Wyndham Hotels, which are first class like the Marriot, offer 50% off your second room or 50% off your second night in Wyndham Resorts in Florida and they have many: www.wyndham.com
Bal Harbour has several offers:
www.balharbourflorida.com, there are booklets like the Palm Beach County which offers coupons for discounts,
and there are all kind of offers from all over Florida, you know that Summer is the low season here.
In Sarasota which is very nice, they offer from August 15 on, discounts in the Half Moon Beach Club, in Captiva in the South Sea Plantation and there are all kind of Golf Packages.

There is a lot of information of something I did not mentioned before in my first e mail but you must not miss that is snorkeling, we have fantastic places to go snorkelling even if you have no experience, one is the John Pennekamp Coral Reef State park on Key largo.
Also in the center of Florida there are some horse ranches, that part is beautiful and they raise horses, I cannot remmember now the name of these ranches but find out for you.
If you wish to buy some books about Florida, you can look in the amazon.com
site and they can send them to you by mail to France.
And as I said if you like I can send you the travel section of Sundays paper which is full of offers for the Summer.
Ok. Bon vayage.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 06:23 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Yes, skip Daytona. Lots of rednecks, lots of bikers, lots of people looking to PARTY. A better beach for kids on the Atlantic is Cocoa Beach - nice beaches, 1 hour drive to Orlando, 15 minutes to Cape Canaveral Space Center.

Clearwater Beach and Ft. Myers Beach on the Gulf coast are also good family beaches.

Don't worry too much about crime. It's not as bad as it' made out to be in the press. The one thing you should be sure to do is never leave anything in your car in view. Thieves are quick to break a window and snatch a bag if they can see it. Leave EVERYTHING in the trunk, out of view.

Have a great trip!

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 06:23 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Yes, skip Daytona. Lots of rednecks, lots of bikers, lots of people looking to PARTY. A better beach for kids on the Atlantic is Cocoa Beach - nice beaches, 1 hour drive to Orlando, 15 minutes to Cape Canaveral Space Center.

Clearwater Beach and Ft. Myers Beach on the Gulf coast are also good family beaches.

Don't worry too much about crime. It's not as bad as it' made out to be in the press. The one thing you should be sure to do is never leave anything in your car in view. Thieves are quick to break a window and snatch a bag if they can see it. Leave EVERYTHING in the trunk, out of view.

Have a great trip!

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 10:14 AM
Diane

I thought I responded to this over the weekend, but it must been sent out to hitherlands. You may want to try this "loop" plan: Arrive in Miami, if you want to spend a night or two, you should stay in Hollywood, Ft Lauderdale or Boca Raton area. Then drive across the state to the West Coast. Naples is quite lovely, Sanibel Island is also very nice. The Gulf of Mexico beaches are lovely for children. Soft sand and gentle waves. You may want to stay several days somewhere on Siesta Key (there is a beach with sand the consistency of flour, or powdered sugar), or Long Boat Key (these two are off the coast from Sarasota.) Then take your loop up to Orlando for the theme parks. With 4 and 10 year old kids, they may find the water-slide parks as much fun as WDW, and you will enjoy SeaWorld. Pick either Universal Studios or MGM(the last is a Disney park)if you have movie lovers in your party. Loop back to the East coast and visit Cape Canaveral and the Kennedy Space Center. If you haven't had enough beach, stay on the East Coast until you have to leave from Miami. The East Coast beaches will have surf and waves to play in -- much different from the West Coast.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 11:22 AM
lisa

Bonjour Valerie. I am surprised no one has mentioned Key West. I would suggest that you drive from Miami down the Florida Keys and stay for at least a couple of nights in Key West. It is wonderful. You can take boat trips out to the coral reefs and see underwater life either by snorkeling or through the bottom of the glass boats. Ernest Hemingway's house is fascinating (even for little kids because there are dozens of cats roaming around!). You can rent bikes and ride them around the town, and take a trolley tour of the island where you can get on and off wherever you want. The food is great too. There is someplace in the Florida Keys where you can stop and swim with the dolphins (you have to reserve that in advance though -- look in a guidebook because I can't remember the name of the place).
I also agree with some of the advice above recommending some of the beaches around Sarasota, which are beautiful (Siesta Key, Longboat Key).
Cape Canaveral would be good if your kids are interested in outer space, rockets, etc.
I am not a huge fan of Disney World either, but it might be unfortunate if you skipped it altogether, because kids really do enjoy it very much and the one in Florida is by far the best in the world with the most to offer. I have heard good things about their new wild animal park there.

There are very few unsafe areas in Florida. Other than parts of Miami, you should be fine. The most wonderful part of Miami is South Beach with its art deco architecture.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 11:49 AM
Leta

We have made a few trips to Florida and I think you would enjoy Kennedy Space Center and Cape Canaveral. Also I would urge you to viisit Disney World, if you have time. I would definitely visit Universal Studios and the new Universal Islands of Adventure, especially if you have kids who know anything about Marvel Super Heroes. Church Street Station in Orlando is a neat place. Sanibel is a really nice place for beaches. Also a trip to Miami Beach and South Beach are a must. If you can afford to, stay at the Fountain Bleu Hilton on Miami Beach and ask for a corner room with ocean balcony.
Where are you from in France. I have always been fascinated with France and would love to visit some time when our kids are grown. Hopefully some day I'll be able to e-mail you for ideas.
Please post back in September and let us know how you liked Florida.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 12:21 PM
Meredith

Valerie,

I agree with what others have said about Daytona...it's tacky. I would recommend St. Augustine. It's very quaint and full of history. As for Orlando, you can't go wrong with Disney World. Also, Universal Studios Islands of Adventure is great. I was just there last week, and it was a blast. It has a lot of fast roller coasters and things like that. The fast rides might not be appropriate for your younger children, but there are lots of kiddie rides there, too.

Hope you enjoy your trip to the Sunshine State!!

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 01:17 PM
Valerie

A big thank you to all of you for all your information and advice. All these indications are very helpful for us.

Bearing in mind all your comments about Disney World,I think that we are going to reconsider our first plan and will visit a part of it.

Leta, I will not forget, beginning of September to post back our impressions about Florida (what I can say now is that our children are very excited about this trip, and the parents also ;-)

For Leta and Graziella,
We live in Brittany (Bretagne in French) located in North-West coast of France (after Brittany, you have got the Atlantic Ocean and then, guess what ... the East Coast of the USA with Florida).
Brittany is really a beautiful region, with large beaches for family and people who like sailing. The coast is often windy and the temperature is not the same as what you can find in Florida, but it is really worth spending vacations there.
Thank you again,
Valerie

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 09:09 AM
fred

Snakes, Valerie? Snakes? You're in greater danger from bad seafood at touristy restaurants and waiters (who've never left Flroida) talking down to you and advising about wines they know nothing about. By the way, they almost never bring you the wine actually shown on the wine list. Or there's the danger from small drivers in big cars, especially huge Cadillacs with folks trying to look over the steering wheel. Or from endless t-shirt shops, all selling 4 for $10. No, Valerie, snakes aren't the issue.

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 11:16 AM
cassandra

Valerie (hope you're still checking in):

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Ringling Circus Museum plus Ca d'Zan and art museum in Sarasota to you. Beaches in Sarasota are among the most beautiful but Aug. can be sweltering, usually, so you'll be looking for indoor things to do midday. However, there's nothing like a sunset over the Gulf of Mexico! Long Boat Key and St. Armand's circle are lovely, civilized places to stay, eat, shop.

Otherwise, I strenuously second recommendations pro Cape Canaveral and St. Augustine, and against Orlando in general. Don't even think of doing theme parks unless it's drizzling a little. Miami and Daytona? Eh! (Can someone translate "eh!" into French, please?)

Old Jun 25th, 1999, 09:33 AM
John Sharp

Bonjour, we live in England and travel to Florida every year.
A lot of the replies to your questions make sense, we have been to EuroDisney in Paris but WDW Florida is much bigger and better, plus you have Universal Studios etc.
If your going to Miami then stick to the Beach areas and be extra careful when leaving the Airport , the A1A is the main road that links Miami to Ft Lauderdale and Palm Beach so it is a good route to use.
The best beaches, in my opinion, however are on the west coast and are Naples and Clearwater.
Naples is a lovely place to visit, very peaceful and relaxing.
Do not worry too much about "robbery" we have never had any problems, providing you lock your car doors and only take out of the hotel as much money as you need. Use the hotel "in-room safe" for the rest and other valuables. Florida is a safe place to visit and the people are very friendly.Relax and enjoy yourself! Remember it will be very hot, visit the theme parks(Orlando is a magical place) and do not worry about Snakes i have been to Florida 6 times and have travelled all over the State and have only ever seen 1 snake.
Unfortunatley(for the Snake) i ran over it in my car, not on purpose!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -