Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   first time in chicago (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/first-time-in-chicago-1107404/)

mcmullentrips May 15th, 2016 01:21 PM

first time in chicago

My husband, 25 year old son, and I will be in Chicago for two days, one night in July. Since our visit is so short I'm looking for what we should do and where we should eat. Any advice for first timers would be appreciated. Thank you!

logandog May 15th, 2016 01:34 PM

Great architecture and museum town. The Art Institute has many iconic paintings, the Science Museum is fascinating and the Aquarium is first rate.

HowardR May 15th, 2016 02:08 PM

If you have any interest in art, then put the Art Institute at the top of your list.

wlke May 15th, 2016 02:11 PM

agreed with art institute and field museum , and I love Gibson's steakhouse. they have excellent fresh seafood as well

Citylghts May 15th, 2016 04:15 PM

You can find info on attractions and many other things at www.choosechicago.com. For architecture tours, www.architecture.org. Public transit, cabs or ride-share services will get you almost anyplace you want to go. Check the CTA site at www.transitchicago.com for maps, a trip planner, how to purchase farecards and track buses and trains with your smart phone.

For restaurants, you can search www.chicagoreader.com or www.chicagomag.com by cuisine, price or neighborhood. Both sites also have info on events. If you're interested in theatre, www.chicagoplays.com has listings and discounts.

For hotels, look in the Streeterville/River North areas. You would do well to avoid July 17-19 as there is a Food Institute convention in town and July 28-31 as Lollapalooza will bring 200,000 people to the south end of Grant Park and fill many hotels rooms.

msbtravels May 15th, 2016 04:18 PM

Do the Field Museum for sure.

gardendiva May 15th, 2016 06:50 PM

If you still need a hotel, check out The River Hotel on Wacker Drive. In the past few weeks I have gotten several emails for discount during July. My assumption is that they have availability.

rncheryl May 15th, 2016 06:54 PM

One word: Sue

https://www.fieldmuseum.org/at-the-f...ions/sue-t-rex

dfrostnh May 16th, 2016 02:12 AM

We enjoyed a free City Greeter Tour to some neighborhoods. You have to make arrangements in advance. The tour will be just for you. Our guide also showed us around the building where the Greeter Tours start. We walked too much on first day so used one of his tips just to ride the bus on the route that runs past the zoo and lake. The passes we bought were good on both buses and ell.

marvelousmouse May 16th, 2016 07:13 AM

Art institute, the field, Chicago museum. Architecture boat tour and biking the lakefront trail.

Best meal I had was at Bavettes, but there is a lot of amazing food in Chicago!

justagirl7676 May 16th, 2016 07:44 AM

NAVY PIER! It's the best. Many great places to eat and shop, but most importantly, a spectacular view of the skyline and Lake Michigan. Also, during that time of year, they have fireworks shows every Saturday evening over the water as well as live bands at the end of the pier.

Art institute.

Also, you have to get a good old fashioned Chicago pizza!

Wrigley Field.

Architectural tour on the river. Worth every penny.

HappyTrvlr May 16th, 2016 09:35 AM

Walk or bike the lakefront path. It goes for 30 miles but get on it in Lincoln Park and walk down to the Museum Campus, beautiful.

jayne1973 May 17th, 2016 04:31 AM

Of all the things we did on our first trip to Chicago, I would say the architecture boat tour would be on the top of the list. For entertainment, depending on the days of the week you are there, the famous "Second City" can't be beat.

Citylghts May 17th, 2016 09:40 AM

No one who lives in the city would recommend visiting Navy Pier other than for the views of the city. The restaurants are only so-so and overpriced and the stores sell mostly tee shirts and refrigerator magnets. In addition, many areas of the pier are under construction this year, so moving around can be a chore.

sf7307 May 17th, 2016 09:41 AM

Oak Street Beach (bike or walk on the lakefront path), Art Institute, Michigan Avenue, Second City (we didn't think it was that great, but it is iconic), architectural tour (CAF-run). Personally, I'd avoid Navy Pier....

travlsolo2 May 17th, 2016 06:58 PM

Anybody know where's a good place to watch the July 4 fireworks on Navy Pier?

Citylghts May 17th, 2016 07:48 PM

The pier will be packed on July 4, so you're best to stay on the shore. You can see the fireworks from the north end of Grant Park or along the river east of Michigan Avenue. The Navy Pier shows are only around 15-20 minutes.

travlsolo2 May 19th, 2016 05:43 PM

Thank you for the info, citylghts!