Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   FIRST TIME IN CALIFORNIA (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/first-time-in-california-46649/)

Rosy Spak Jun 17th, 1999 04:53 PM

FIRST TIME IN CALIFORNIA

Please could you tell me how far is by car to go from Los Angeles to Disneyland and from Disneyland to San Diego...it's easy to go by car?? I'm leaving July23 until August 2nd, how many days do you suggest in each place, activities for small children, and hotels bet USD 130 to USD 180... <BR>Thanks for your help!

toni Jun 17th, 1999 05:29 PM

We have been to ca. twice with 2 small children and drove the coast. From Los Angeles to Disneyland is about 1 hour without traffic. From Disneyland to San <BR>Diego its about 2 hours. It's easy to go to both of these places by car. I can't tell you how long to stay in each place, because it depends on what your interest are.

toni Jun 17th, 1999 05:30 PM

We have been to ca. twice with 2 small children and drove the coast. From Los Angeles to Disneyland is about 1 hour without traffic. From Disneyland to San <BR>Diego its about 2 hours. It's easy to go to both of these places by car. I can't tell you how long to stay in each place, because it depends on what your interest are.

Rosy Jun 17th, 1999 06:22 PM

Thank you Toni for your reply. <BR>

Paul Rabe Jun 18th, 1999 07:21 AM

Just so you know -- "Los Angeles" is, almost by design, an amorphous designation for a series of suburbs. It would be about one hour from the LA City Hall to Disneyland, it would be more if you're starting from further north. <BR> <BR>Also, the amount of time to go from one place to another varies GREATLY depending on the traffic. What might take one hour with no traffic might take three hours if there's a jam (and, on most parts of the freeway, there's one there every day!!)

kam Jun 18th, 1999 08:41 AM

Paul's advice is right on target! Try to drive between 10 am and 3 pm. I would allow 2 hours for each trip and then you could be pleasantly surprized! Since you will have children with you, you can take advantage of the "carpool" lanes on the freeways. Now there are some 24 hour "carpool" lanes which makes it even better. Los Angeles is not a city particularly interesting for small children. There are a few things to do, but Disneyland should be 2 days minimum and nearby is Knotts Berry Farm, depending on the ages of your kids and how into amusement parks they are. San Diego is more appealing to little ones, has good beaches, Sea World, trolley rides,ferry rides,the Wild Animal Park, a wonderful zoo etc.I would allow 3 days. There's a book titled "Kidding around in Southern California" which was our bible for visitors with kids when we lived in Southern CA. There must be thousands of recommendations for hotels in this forum--search for "Disneyland hotels", "LA Hotels" etc.

John Jun 18th, 1999 01:01 PM

Although it is expensive, you may want to stay one night at the Disneyland Hotel. It is connected to the park by a monorail. This allows you to come and go quite easily. When the kids get tired, take the monorail back to the hotel for a quick nap, then monorail back to the park. My friends with kids swear by this.

Linda Jun 18th, 1999 04:55 PM

Rosy - I'm not sure how old your children are. If they are very young, they will get tired of standing in the long lines, will need a nap and mother will need one too so you won't spend all day at the park. A couple of days minimum is advisable. I agree with staying at the Disneyland Hotel but they book up way ahead of time so if not, there are pleanty of motels within walking distance of the park. In addition to Knott's Berry Farm, Universal Studios is a lot of fun, especially if the children are a little older. <BR>

Rosy Jun 18th, 1999 07:41 PM

Thank you so much for all your advises!

lynn Jun 18th, 1999 09:42 PM

Rosy - <BR> <BR>I'm a rare breed anymore....a native Southern Californian! <BR> <BR>Agree with above about Disney hotel if at all possible. When I was in high school my dad treated my sister and I to a weekend at Disneyland before school started. We stayed at the hotel and had weekend passes to the park. To this day, it is one of my greatest memories because I thought it was "so cool" to stay at the hotel and then take a nap or go for a swim any time. I would think with small kids it would be very convenient. You could spend the hottest part of the day napping or swimming and then go back to the park after the sun goes down. To save money, you could even have snack time in your room. <BR> <BR>If you can, do try to get booked. I don't think you'd regret it even if it's a little more than you wanted to spend. <BR> <BR>:-)

Sunni Jun 24th, 1999 12:23 AM

Disneyland Hotel is a definite must and worth the price. Also, make reservations at the Goofy's Kitchen either for lunch or dinner (characters come out and visit each table). If you have small children they love this as much as the park itself and it gives you a rest. Knotts Berry Farm is also good, even for the little ones. They have a separate section for children ages 3 to 7 or so. I would definately spend more time in San Diego - there is the world famous San Diego Zoo, the Wild Animal Park, newly opened Legoland, and Balboa Park. Have fun!