First time horse back riding in Utah

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any suggestions for first time horse back riders? Would like specifically Zion or Bryce Canyon. We are a group of three older adults 50-60 yrs old and would like to do something different. Will be in the St George Utah area but willing to travel further. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 05:14 AM

FWIW, I went on a lovely 60 minute horse ride on a trail in New Mexico before I moved here, and was unbelievably sore and had a difficult time walking for several days after the ride. The ride was not a fast gallop or anything much more than an amble. I was 49 at the time.

The views were spectacular, but it was not worth the after affects. My hips, knees, and back all ached.

Something to think about...
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 05:34 AM

My DH (about age 55 at the time) and DD (about age 17) did a 3-4 hour ride out of Ruby's at Bryce Canyon a few years ago. I do not think DH has ever been on a horse - or if so decades before. Unless pony rides at state fairs count, DD had limited horse experience.

They both enjoyed the ride and found it perfectly geared for novices. DH insisted they gave him a slow and hungry horse - because all it wanted to do was stop and eat shrubbery. DD enjoyed making fun of him - both enjoyed the sites.

Both are in very good physical shape - not overweight, regularly workout - but felt somewhat sore for a few days after. They had no regrets. (I am afraid of horses and opted for taking photos at Bryce instead).
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 08:12 AM

We did a 2-hour ride in Zion once - very enjoyable and suitable for first-timers. Given that your first-timer status and age (like me), I would not recommend a longer ride. You might even consider a 1-hour ride.

Once, we were both avid riders, but have not ridden regularly in years. Last fall we took a half-day ride in the Tetons that covered steep rocky terrain (not a standard group ride) and were unbelievably sore in our knees. First time I was ever motion sick on a horse...

At any rate, my vote is for the Zion ride. It's down by the lodge.
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 09:09 AM

If at all possible I would try for one or more rides before going - or you will spend the whole time focusing on the horse rather than the scenery. Also, be sure you have proper clothing, Sneakers are not good - since you need something with a definite heel to hold your foot in the stirrup (there is a reason cowboy boots have those heels) - or it's very easy for your foot to just slip right through and then you have no control at all.

Having a first ride longer than an hour is really asking to be VERY sore for a considerable time afterward. (Horses are controlled with your legs - not by pulling on the reins - except for direction - so get your thigh muscles ready.)
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 04:38 PM

To be honest, though, the horses on the regular rides are very, very conditioned just to follow the tail of the horse in front of them. The most trouble you are likely to have with them is just keeping them from reaching down to eat grass. And if you do that, they will quickly take over, stopping to eat or maybe brushing you off alongside a tree.

But a couple of easy tips and you will be troublefree - except for being sore, of course. But it's a wonderful experience, and I think you would enjoy it.
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 04:43 PM

dillysnana, I just read your older post on taking a ride in Sedona. Guessing you never made that one. So - really, boots are good but sneakers are just fine (no sandals though). There was some excellent advice in that thread; no need to delay any more. We've taken friends on rides who had never been close to a horse before and were, shall we say, very "risk adverse." The ride was beautiful and they had a lovely time - they will talk about it.

Go for it!!
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 05:07 PM

dillysnana,

When are you going? The stables in the Natl Park close down at a certain point for the winter.

I would recommend the Zion 1 or 2 hour ride for first timers. It's basically flat and, yes, you just plod along. Zion is gorgeous in the fall!! If you remember some of the scenes in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" where they were riding in the river with the sun shining? That was shot in the Virgin River just outside of the park. The scenes that took place at Etta's house and the bicycle ride with Newman through the orchard - those were shot at the old town of Grafton just outside Springdale. Ask directions.