Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   First time Cape Cod for anniversary (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/first-time-cape-cod-for-anniversary-704859/)

christina358 May 13th, 2007 08:03 PM

First time Cape Cod for anniversary

My husband and I are interested in visiting Cape Cod for our 10 yr anniversary in mid June. We were thinking about flying into Boston, staying there for 1 night then taking the ferry to Provincetown to stay somewhere in Cape Cod for 3 nights. Since this will be our 1st time visiting the area, would Cape Cod be the best place to see on the coast with Boston as our base? We would love suggestions on what we absolutely must see since we probably won't get back to visit again anytime soon.

We are looking for a charming upscale b&b within a walkable community close to shops, restaurants and oceanfront. We would also love to see lighthouses, boat docks, historical sights, nature walks, mansion tours and anything else to get a feel for the area.

Does the ferry take cars? Is it necessasry to have a car on the Cape? Any help with picking a town/area to give us the best experience we can get in 3 days is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!!!

christina358 May 13th, 2007 08:43 PM

I found the Old Manse Inn in Brewster that looks lovely! Would that be a good location to find what we're looking for, and to get the true feel of Old Cape Cod? How is the town of Brewster?

yellowbyrd May 14th, 2007 05:45 AM

If you are taking the ferry from Boston you are pretty much tied to spending all of your time in Provincetown. Instead, I would rent a car in Boston and drive to the Cape so that you can make the most of your short 3 day vacation. We like to stay to Eastham which is between Chatham and Provincetown so that we will be close to beaches, bike trails, fine restaurants, and day trips to Chatham, scenic Rt. 6A with shops and lovely architecture, art galleries in Wellfleet, and all the crazy fun of Provincetown. You really must see the views of the Atlantic Ocean, Coast Guard Beach and Nauset Marsh from Fort HIll in the National Seashore in Eastham and if you are lucky enough to be staying at the Fort Hill Bed and Breakfast the inn keepers can give you taylor made suggestions for other things that interest you. They have the only lodging that is actually in the park and their cottage has views of the ocean. The historic house is also very lovely and will give you the true feeling of Cape Cod. www.forthillbedandbreakfast.com

I always encourage new visitors to Cape Cod to Google Map places so you can see where they are relative to the major busy roads. Rt. 6 and 28 are very busy and I do not like to recommend staying on one of those roads. So take a look at a Google map before you make you reservations. Here are a vew approximate driving times that might help. Boston to Eastham=2 hours, Eastham to Provincetown=30 minutes, Eastham to Wellfleet 10 inutes, Eastham to Orleans=5 minutes, Eastham to Chatham 20 minutes. If you stayin Provincetown you will be traveling to the tip of Cape Cod and will be increasing your driving tim to any other town you want to visit. for example Provincetown to Chatham is 50-60 minutes.

capecodshanty May 14th, 2007 07:01 AM

Christina358
I share Yellowbyrds's sentiments. You will need a car. The Old Manse Inn in Brewster is a very nive Inn, on the bayside of Brewster, about 1 and 1/2 miles from the bay. It is on Rt. 6A, the old Kings Highway, that runs through most of the Mid Cape towns, with many old Captains Homes, antique shops, galleries, restaurants and the like. You would be positioned to visit Dennis and Yarmouthport, as well as Brewster. Orleans would be a 10 minute drive, which is the beginning of the National Seashore, -the oceanside with it's dunes, hiking trails, lighthouses in Chatham and Truro)- all easily assesible by car. Google each town, you will find a myriad of information on the town's websites.
Come back when you've decided what town you are staying in, and we can help further!

christina358 May 14th, 2007 07:13 AM

Thanks, yellowbyrd, for the drive time info. It really gives me a better understanding of how long it takes to get around Cape Cod. I did google the map and can see how you benefit from being in Eastham. Fort Hill and the National Seashore sound beautiful!

We love to be in the heart of town where we can walk out of our inn and stroll to shops, cafe's and green space. Are there any towns with inns like this? Or am I describing something other than Cape Cod? Should we be researching other areas on the coast such as Martha's Vineyard or Newport?

Also, my husband was hoping to not rent a car and use taxi/ferry from Boston to our destination. Are there any other types of public transportaion on Cape Cod? We want to be flexible but were trying to make this an easy relaxing trip without worrying about driving, directions and parking! I am researching other b&b's for ideas. Thanks again in advance for any thoughts or suggestions!

christina358 May 14th, 2007 07:17 AM

capecodshanty - thank you. I will research more towns too!

capecodshanty May 14th, 2007 07:45 AM

Christina358- from your comments, I think you would enjoy Chatham. It is a lively village, the center of town has some wonderful restaurants, galleries and shops, which are fun to peruse. The Chatham Fish Pier is where the fishing fleet comes in, and you can watch them unload there catch- and it is thw town where one can take a boat to Monomoy, the Island off the coastline that is part of the National Seashore, and a breeding ground for the Harbor and Atlantic Seals. There are several Inns within walking distance of the xcenter of town. The Cranberry Inn, is at the far end of Main St. not far from the Lighthouse, and Lighthouse Beach. The Chatham Wayside is smack dab in the cemter of activity- and there is The Moses Nickerson House, about a 15 minute walk from town, but within walking distance to the Fish pier. Another, in that same vicinity is The Captains House.
Or, you might enjoy Wellfleet. A bit more laid back, and with more of the town in the Seashore, there are wonderful hiking and biking trails in the seashore, as well as the beautiful ocean beaches and sand dunes.
The village of Wellfleet is smaller,and one can walk from the shops galleries and restaurants in the village to several kettle ponds in the seashore, as well as the bayside beaches, pier, tennisd courts and golf course (public).
The Inn at Duck Creek, the Stone Lion B7B, and Aunt Sukie's are all in the village, and not on Rt.
Hope this is helpful to you!

djkbooks May 14th, 2007 09:01 AM

It is not possible to really explore Cape Cod without a car.

Mid-June, traffic will not be problematic on the Cape. And, most rental cars have GPS.

I would not recommend three days in Provincetown.

See http://www.gocapecod.org/travinfo.htm for transit options.

You may want to consider flying from Boston to Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard.

yellowbyrd May 14th, 2007 05:42 PM

If you would like to see the outer cape without a car it is now posssible although not as convenient as with a car! Last year for the first time the National Seashore sponsered a FLEX bus system that serves the outer cape quite nicely. The buses are very regular and, with advanced notice veture off of the scheuled route up to 1 km, for a $1.00 fee. They have a route from Harwich to Provincetown. The new buses were a huge success and the schedule is being refined even more this summer! So, if you want to stay in Harwich, Orleans, Provincetown or Wellfleet, which might just fit your requiement for an in-town location, you can easily take the Flex bus to the National Seashore Visitor's Center and beaches in Eastham, to the charming villages of Orleans, Wellfleet and Provincetown, and Brewster, and still be able to walk to restaurants. Check out the bus schedule at http://www.theflex.org/
I believe that the summer schedule last season had buses every 15-30 minutes. This would allow you to take a P-B bus (www.p-b.com) or ferry to the outer cape, and to get around by taking the flex bus. You might also check out the sites for the National Seashore (www.nps.gov/caco) and theWellfleet Wildlife Sanctuary (http://www.massaudubon.org/Nature_Co...n/Sanctuaries/
Wellfleet/index.php) which have tons of programs during the summer

christina358 May 15th, 2007 08:59 AM

The FLEX bus system sounds like it might work for us. I checked the web site and the map and it looks like it hits some areas you've mentioned on your posts.

I'm also still researching the areas you recommended, yellowbyrd and capecodshanty. All sound like they fit the bill! I have an active 1 year old at home with me and he never lets me spend too much time on the computer! So it's taking me a while but I know I'll find something. Thanks again for the help!

seafox May 16th, 2007 09:51 AM

The FLEX bus system is great - I know lots of people have used it. Just get a schedule and plan accordingly. 3 days in Provincetown with a journey or two on the bus would be relaxing. In Ptown, be sure to take Art's dune tour which will take you into the National Seashore. there is also the whale watch boats and the ability to rent a kayak or small boat at Flyer's. If you want to get around in town their are bike rentals and a couple of local cab companies (Queen cab 508 487 5555) for very little money. I don't have a lot of first hand knowledge of the many B&B's , but I have heard good things about 1807 House and the Inn at Cook Street. If you will be there on the weekend, make dinner reservations sooner rather than later. Good (better) spots to eat are The Mews, Front Street, Cafe Edwige and pepe's Wharf. Ciro and Sals is a long time Ptown establishment with great Italian food. For a relaxed meal, Bubalas or the Lobster Pot are favorites.

christina358 May 16th, 2007 11:02 AM

Based on the earlier posts we decided to rent a car. My husband is a gold member with Hertz and they will deliver a rental right to our hotel in Boston.

We just reserved the Seaport Hotel in Boston and The Captain's House in Chatham! Thanks to all for the recommendations...we can't wait to see the Cape!

Thanks, seafox, for reminding me about restaurant reservations. I will work on that next. I read the old posts and found a lot of info on restaurants, but I'll take recommendations for good eats in Chatham! Are there any casual restaurants with excellent food?

We'll probably take 1 day exploring another area on the Cape but spend most of our time in and around Chatham. It sounds like it would be worth the ride for some food at the Lobster Pot!

Gene May 16th, 2007 05:38 PM

It appears like you have made some good decisions despite being inundated with an overload of suggestions from the usual gang of CC posters (Stay at Fort Hill; Must see National Seashore; etc.).

Since you only have 3 days and you're with a 1 year old I think you were right on in your last post that maybe you can just relax in Chatham and maybe venture out one day to visit some other nearby Cape town.

ccrosner May 21st, 2007 04:10 PM

Gene--
I only post about Cape Cod from time to time but have to say that your comments about christina358 being "inundated" with suggestions from "the usual gang of CC posters" are a bit on the nasty side. Or do I misunderstand? I think Yellowbyrd and Capecodshanty have offered many people good suggestions (agreed with them again this time) and I'm sure that Christina appreciated their help.

Also, I don't remember any mention of a one year old. If so, I hope christina mentioned that to the inn in Chatham in case they don't accept young children.

Christina--
Have a great anniversary. Don't know where you are travelling from but I do think June is usually a great time to be on the Cape and Chatham fits your bill perfectly. Do go to the outer cape and enjoy the dunes and the shopping. Think about renting bikes while there--the scenery on the bike path is special.

ljc4creb May 21st, 2007 04:45 PM

Christina, as soon as I read your request I thought of Chatham, so I think you made a great choice. I also was thinking you would need the car no matter what especially with only 3 nights. I grew up in Boston and the Cape and everyone gave you perfect advice. If you had more time or need something else to do, take a ferry to Nantucket. It is a special place. Have a great time and hope you can return and see the rest.

Gene May 21st, 2007 05:17 PM

CCrosner: So who is being nasty? I agreed with Christina on her final choice to stay in Chatham as her base and maybe venture out one day to explore the rest of the Cape.

As for the other two, yes YB and CCS give very detailed and informative advice. But it's more than 50% of the time that one is saying stay at Fort Hill and the other is saying you must go to the National Seashore as if none of the rest of the Cape existed.

ccrosner May 21st, 2007 07:19 PM

O.k., Gene, I'd feel differently if Yellowbyrd and CapeCodShanty were telling people that they should only stay in Hyannis and that mini golf was the only activity of value on the Cape.

We LOVE Fort Hill (not the inn, the area) and think it's one of the Cape's true gems. And from the looks of it, Fort Hill B&B looks lovely and I can say that the location is beautiful. And to tell people to be sure to see the National Seashore is akin to telling visitors to Rome to see the Sistine Chapel. It is and should be a highlight of any visit to Cape Cod. Thanks to JFK.

So I won't quibble with them and just think that you didn't need to express your frustration with other posters while answering Christina's question.

capecodshanty May 22nd, 2007 04:50 AM

Have a wonderful time, Christina 368!

yellowbyrd May 22nd, 2007 09:20 AM

Enjoy the Cape....you have made great choices. We would love a short trip report when you return with the highlights of your stay. Another voice on this Cape Cod board is always appreciated!

johngerard May 22nd, 2007 11:28 PM

I hope Gene has not put off any of the CC posters. This particular post has been very interesting for me as we are staying in Hyannis for a week this year & I am looking for day trips out. This post has given more information than some of the other posts I have read. I did not know about the new bus service & after getting lost in the dark last year heading back from Barnstable to Falmouth I would be tempted to try the bus.
Posters please be assured that your suggestions are well worth writing as it is not only the poster who is benefiting from your wealth of knowledge.