Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   First Time At Sea Tac (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/first-time-at-sea-tac-525250/)

Kostroma Apr 29th, 2005 06:21 AM

First Time At Sea Tac

My trip to New York is still 6 months away, but these questions popped in my head a few days ago and I decided to ask them now instead of letting them simmer for 4 or 5 months.

I've never flown before and I've been in Sea Tac airport all of one time. I've gone through on the bus several times as well, but I haven't been near the place in about 10 years. I'll be taking the Jet Blue red eye that leaves at midnight and I've been wondering about airport procedure.

I'll be taking the bus to the airport, and from what I recall, the transit stop is at the south end of the terminal. That is, of course, the exact opposite end of the airport that I need to be on. About how far of a walk is it from there to the north end of the terminal where the Jet Blue counter is located?

Alternately, if I use curbside check in, can I use the first one that I see, or do I have to use one nearest to my airline's location in the terminal? I assume that I would get my boarding pass at that time as well. Am I right?

Lastly, after I clear security, where do I need to go to catch the train to the North Satellite?

That's about it for now.

Gardyloo Apr 29th, 2005 06:41 AM

It's maybe a five minute walk from the (I assume you mean public) bus stop to the north counter area.

If you mean can you do curbside bag check at any station, no, only ones (if any) where Jet Blue has a podium, i.e., north end.

Once through security you go down to the train to the North Satellite. Piece of cake.

suze Apr 29th, 2005 06:47 AM

I use SeaTac several times a year.

The curbside check-in is carrier-specific, so you need to use the one outside your airline's counters. I'm doubt they will be open at that time of night though.

To catch the subway/train to the satellite you just follow along with the signs and the people. If it's not exactly clear, just ask the clerk when you check in to explain it in detail to you.

I've taken the bus in to the airport a few times, but once again can't say specifically what I did. Just followed the signs along...

Sorry I guess I'm not much help after all!! That said, I've never had a problem navigating SeaTac. Just allow ample time so you won't get nervous about it.

Kostroma Apr 29th, 2005 01:37 PM

Thank you both. You've answered my questions perfectly.

I *was* referring to the Metro bus stop. The Sea Tac website says that it's "a bit of a hike" from one end of the terminal to the other, so I wondered. I'll only have one small rolling suitcase and a small carryon, so a 5 minute walk is not bad at all.

I didn't even think about the time of night re: curbside check in. Doh! I suppose that it won't be majorly busy that time of night anyway, so the check in line at the counter should be a big deal.

Thanks again. Hope you're enjoying our lovely liquid sunshine today. :)

suze Apr 29th, 2005 02:42 PM

You're welcome & yes I'm all wet here in downtown Seattle!

I'm guessing the airport will be pretty quiet at that time of night so should not be too overwhelming for you.

From the Metro stop, just go in the closest door, then you'll be wheeling along on nice smooth flooring. Prop your carry-on on top of the wheeled suitcase and you can pull them both along together.

There's been alot of renovations to the interior spaces at SeaTac and it was looking pretty darn nice last time I came thru (Feb '05).

Have a great trip!