Highway 1 Road Trip

Old Sep 14th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Highway 1 Road Trip

We are an Aussie couple travelling to the USA in late September. We would like to spend 1 week of our vacation doing a road trip along Highway 1. I have read that it's better to travel north to south along Highway 1 so that you're not on the side of the road closest to the sea. We will start out from LA and would welcome itinerary suggestions. I was thinking of travelling north along Highway 101 and returning via Highway 1. We have 7 days and only want to go as far north as Monterey as we have been to San Francisco and surrounding area previously. Would 2 days to get to Monterey and 5 days travelling back to LA work? Any suggestions for overnight stays, restaurants, places of interest would be appreciated.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 03:09 AM

I prefer being on the side where the sea is. Traveling North to South would put you on the seaside.

I would go up HWY 101 and return on HWY 1. You might want to stop at Pinnacles National Monument either coming or going.

I'm not for sure what you are going to do on HWY 101 for 5 days. Maybe you meant 5 hours?

I would see Channel Islands National Park, Hearst Castle, McWay Falls in route to Monterey. I think you would need a couple of days to work your way along HWY 1 and then at least a full day in Monterey.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 04:02 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
spirolbulldog: "<i>I'm not for sure what you are going to do on HWY 101 for 5 days. Maybe you meant 5 hours?</i>"

I think you misread the OP. >><i><blue>I was thinking of travelling north along Highway 101 and returning via Highway 1. . . . Would 2 days to get to Monterey and 5 days travelling back to LA work?</i></blue><<

She was asking about 2 days north via 101 to Monterey and 5 days south on hwy 1 back to LA.

aussie_nomads: >><i><blue>I have read that it's better to travel north to south along Highway 1 so that you're not on the side of the road closest to the sea.</i></blue><<

First you have it wrong. Driving north to south you ARE on the ocean side.There are two different camps of thought. Many people prefer to do hwy 1 heading south (Ocean/cliff side) for the slightly better views and it being easier to pull off at the scenic turnouts. Others prefer driving north (on the mountain/inland side) so they aren't on the edge of the cliff and to make it a bit less white knuckle for the driver.

For me it is 6 of 1/half dozen of the other. Pros and cons to both. One consideration is when driving south to north,the sun will be more in your eyes in the afternoons/sunset. But generally not an issue since you would be breaking the journey so at your destinations by mid afternoon.

If being on the ocean side doesn't scare you, I'd probably drive to Santa Barbara for the 1st night. Then up 101 to Monterey/Carmel the next day. 3 nights in Monterey/Carmel. And finally 3 days down hwy 1 back to LA.

If the seaside/cliff is too daunting, I'd do the same thing but in reverse: 3 days/2 nights up hwy 1; 3 nights in Carmel/Monterey; down 101 to Santa Barbara for 1 night.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 04:06 AM

I agree with Spirobulldog, I prefer the drive from north to south as you get better views of the ocean and you don't have to cross traffic to get to the pull offs for the spectacular views.

If you are planning to stop and tour vineyards etc., then 2 days up will be plenty to get to Monterey, otherwise one day is enough.

On the way back, go up to point Lobos, (I think it's up), do the 17 mile drive south of Monterey, hike in Julia Pfiffer State park, overnight in Big Sur, overnight near Hearst Castle, and if you enjoy hiking, there are lots of opportunities along the way. I haven't been out to the Channel Islands, but that would take a whole day too.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 06:45 AM

Highway 1
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 06:47 AM

Highway 1 is a great drive whether north to south or south to north, but spending five days to drive the 325 miles between Santa Monica and Monterey is more than necessary.

HTTY
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 06:50 AM

Point Lobos is "down", ie south of Monterey.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 06:51 AM

"<i>On the way back, go up to point Lobos, (I think it's up), do the 17 mile drive south of Monterey, hike in Julia Pfiffer State park, overnight in Big Sur,</i>"

The reason I suggested 3 days in/around Monterey/Carmel is because all of the places mentioned above are near there. Instead of checking in/out, packing and moving on each day, you could see them from a single base. If you wanted to stay the night in Big Sur, then 2 days in Monterey/Carmel and 3 days traveling south would work.

And no, Point Lobos is not "up" - it is just south of Carmel.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 06:52 AM

was posting the same time as sf7307.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 07:59 AM

I would take 1 day to drive to Monterey via Hwy 101, spend 1 or 2 days in Monterey, and then spend the remaining days travelling down Hwy 1 back to LA.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 08:28 AM

La Purissima Mission is interesting. It is now a State Historical park and was rebuilt in the 1930s by the CCC. By being out in the countryside, it retains the flavor of what missions were before significant towns grew around them.

http://parks.ca.gov/?page_id=22722
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 09:00 AM

I think OP has everyone confused about up/down north/south Hwy 101/Hwy1.

Yes, I did misread it.
2 days headed North on HWY 101 and then 5 days headed south from Monterey would be fine.

I agree with janisj that a few days in Monterey would be a good bet.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 11:32 AM

I was thinking 5 days total, not 7. Yeah, we are all turned around.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your input - much appreciated.
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 11:46 AM

I would definitely try to stay in Monterey 2-3 nights since there is so much to do! You could spend 1 day in Monterey, 1 in Carmel/Carmel Valley and 1 in Big Sur.

In Monterey I would suggest renting bikes on Cannery Row and riding along the coastal recreation trail to Pacific Grove (or even Pebble Beach). You could also take a whale watch cruise from Old Fisherman's Wharf in downtown Monterey.
http://www.seemonterey.com/monterey-california

There are tons of restaurants and shops along Ocean Ave. in Carmel-by-the-Sea. If you enjoy wine you can head down Carmel Valley Road into Carmel Valley Village. There are several great wineries and tasting rooms along way.
http://www.seemonterey.com/carmel-by-the-sea-california
http://www.seemonterey.com/carmel-valley-california

Last but not least, Big Sur. Big Sur has amazing views and great hikes! Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park is probably my favorite because you can see both redwoods and McWay Falls. Lunch at Nepenthe's is a must, try the Ambrosia Burger!
http://www.seemonterey.com/big-sur-california
http://www.seemonterey.com/big-sur-c...rns-state-park