Search

First RV road trip from California to Oregon

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First RV road trip from California to Oregon

Hi All,

We are planning to go on a week (7 nights) road trip from Cali to Oregon on the 3rd week of August. There is so much to see yet we don't want to rush ourselves and run from one place to the other.
we will be with our 5 yrs boy and 2 dogs and we like to hike
I wonder if you can help us with some of the questions we have regarding our trip
Here is the general plan with the questions inside:

** Any trail recommendations? and also how do we get the trail we will be with our RV do we need to get to starting point with a car or walking will do ok?

Day 1- driving to MOSSBRAE FALLS, maybe LAKE SISKIYOU and getting to lower Klamath National wildlife -too much for the 1st day?should we skip this point and drive start to Crater lake?
first night in Klamath

Day 2 - Crater lake
is this enough time in Crater?
** Any trail recommendations? and also how do we get the trail we will be with our RV do we need to get to starting point with a car or walking will do ok?
2nd night Crater Lake

Day 3-DIAMOND LAKE and Rd 138 to COUGAR RESERVOIR, WILLAMETTE NATIONAL FOREST, OREGON
3rd night in the reservoir during the morning we will be in the reservoir and then head up to Columbia George
*it looks like a great place to stay for one more day and maybe add to it Mt. hood and skip Columbia George?

Day 4-Columbia River George
4th night in the river and the after noon driving to 101 to start the road back home
Day 5-6-7
we are planing to stop in:
Oswald west state park
Siuslaw National park
Coos bay- Shore Acres state park
Gold beach
Jedediah smith redwood state park
Prierie creek redwood state park
(BTW- are these the redwood parks that are the most recommended?)
Whiskeytown lake before we gets home to sacramento Cali

should we skip Columbia River George so trip wont be so rush and tight? if so which place you most recommended to stay for 2 nights? Crater lake? Cougar Reservoir Willamette?or maybe at one of the Redwood parks on the 101?

Gosh i am so confused
and it our first time Rv'ing...... how do we get to all the trails? every time we need to hook it out to get to the starting point of the trail?

thanks for being patient with me
Effie
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 03:04 AM

I think a day is enough time for Crater Lake. I liked walking/hiking down and taking the boat to Wizard Island and then hiking a bit there. I think most 5 year olds could do it. It is uphill(one way). There is a short trail that has good wildflowers, but I'm blank on the name right now.

I like Stout Grove in the Jedediah Smith Section. I like James Irvine Trail and Fern Canyon in Prairie Creek(also look for elk there). You can combine both trails, but probably a bit long for a 5 year old to try and tackle them both at the same time. So, I would just wander around the trees and then drive to Fern Canyon and hike in it. Its easy.

I would do both Mt. Hood and Columbia River Gorge. Both are fantastic and not to be missed, IMOP.

I think its at Gold Beach where you can do one of the Jet Boat tours. I like those.

One thing about camping and rving. Most people like to set up and enjoy each spot for a couple of days(not always). It seems to me your going to be doing a lot of driving and that you are rushing things. But it is doable. I would probably only do about half what you are doing and then go again in a few months or next year(it sounds like you live in CA).
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 05:15 AM

Go to rv.net/forums for expert advice on routes, campgrounds and general RV questions.

Go to RVparkreviews.com for campground reviews.

In general keep in mind that you will be traveling a lot slower in an RV. It would save you a lot of headaches if you could camp where trails are within walking distance so as not to have to unhook. Or, of course stop in route for a trail. Dogs are not allowed on almost all National Park trails. State parks vary on dog policy. Most beaches do not allow dogs in California, while most beaches in Oregon do.

Sounds like a fun trip!
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 06:37 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
There will be many places that you will want to go but can't because of the dog. Please don't leave the dog locked up in the hot RV or you could be in trouble with the NP Ranger.
http://www.crater.lake.national-park.com/camping.htm
You could camp down at Diamond Lake and then drive the car into Crater Lake.
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 08:47 AM

I would take a whole day just to do the waterfall hikes along Hwy 138. There are a lot of falls and most of them less than 2 miles roundtrip.

I was recently there for a weekend and we hiked Takatee Falls, Watson Falls, Whitehorse Falls, Clearwater Falls, Warm Springs Falls, Fall Creek Falls and Susan Creek Falls plus 6 miles of the N Umqua River Trail.

Some of the trails to the falls are not really even a hike- more like a short walk.

My 3 favorites are Tokatee Falls, Watson Falls and Fall Creek Falls-
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 01:18 PM

Where are you starting from?
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

We start from Sacramento area
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 02:12 AM

"how do we get to all the trails?" is the essence of the downside of RV travel - you have to haul the RV everywhere, even to buy a loaf of bread unless you get into towing a car, bring bicycles, or are in one of the rare places where you can park an RV that has public transit to trails.

Make sure you figure this out before you go. When our kids were younger we ended up doing trips that combined tent camping and cheaper hotels rather than rent an RV. We found the cost similar and the car gave us greater flexibility.

But being in an RV is a lifestyle choice; I also wonder about what you are going to do with the dogs during the days when you are away.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 03:48 AM

RV's and getting into back country don't mix unless you carry/tow a third transport type with you.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 03:15 PM

Don't know much about Siskiyou Lake, but you might consider stopping at Emigrant Lake right outside Ashland your 1st night.
From Sactown, only 290 miles up I-5.
Enjoy hiking Lithia Park and the Shakespeare Green Show (free)and Dinner. Then next Morning you're right on track to head up to Crater Lake.
http://www.osfashland.org/production...-schedule.aspx
These folks have a wonderful blog and have been all over
(and are currently in) Oregon-
http://wheelingit.wordpress.com/2012...er-ashland-or/

If you peruse their blog, they will provide a road map for almost everything you are proposing.
http://wheelingit.wordpress.com/