First Night On Kauai?

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Night On Kauai?

Hi Everyone,
Only seven days until Mr. lu2u and I leave for Kauai. We are so ready for a little polynesian paralysis, we just want to be there now. This is his nineteenth trip and my tenth, staying at Lae Nani. Just can't think of much else these days. I was wondering...what does everyone do on the first night on Kauai? Any great kick-off dinners or traditions? We usually go to dinner someplace close to the condo and shop at Safeway for breakfast stuff and turn in early. We've been traveling from the east coast for the past seven years, so the bed looks pretty good soon after check-in.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 12:08 PM
gyppielou

Pupus or dinner at A Pacific Cafe and shopping for supplies...

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 12:13 PM

When we fly in it is usually evening. WE stop at Wal-MArt and buy these we forgot along with breakfast foods. Our first trip we stayed at the Hyatt and we ahd beent ravelinga ll day. Our room wasn't ready so we had drinks on The Hyatt out on their patio. Very nice way to kick things off! Drinks and a view!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Kal

Walk up the road to the Sand Bar, crawl up on my favorite barstool, order a mai tai, lava flow or wiki waki woo and let a whole year's worth of stress flow out of your body.

Then go over to Tradewinds, sing kareoke and make a fool of yourself like the rest of us!

But seriously, for the past 4-5 yrs we usually try and meet our local friends for pupus and beer at Pacific Cafe to celebrate both of our December birthdays. (Good idea, eh G'lou?) We couldn't do it this trip so it threw off the whole karma thing.

Next morning, b'fast at Eggberts then up to Safeway/Longs for vittles/tupperware.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

So Kal, Exactly where is the Sand Bar?, neither of us can place it. Is the Tradewinds in the Jolly Roger restaurant at the Islander? By the way, any other tips for this year's visit? Old favs, new discoveries?
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Kal

l2u, The Sand Bar is the poolside bar at The Islander on the Beach which shares the pkg lot with the closed Jolly Roger. Good mix of colorful locals and tourists. Nice view too.

The Whale show usually started every afternoon around 3-4:00 while we were there this past Dec/Jan.

Tradewinds is in the CocoMarketplace right near Eggbert's. Another good mix of locals and respectful tourists.

Heard the old Taco Dude is back in the plaza near your condo by Kintaros. The Whole Enchilada I believe is his new name.
For a small munch we also like Ona Loa Cafe also in the Marketplace. Really good Hawaiian combo plate. Go early because they sell out.
2 cute young ladies run the place when the Dad's not around.

We still like Coconuts. Lobster ravs, baby!

La Playtia Azul was good. Next door to Safeway.

Next door to the Islander in the Coconut Beachboy is Huki Lau. Good grub, great wine list but service is hit and miss. A porch seat is very nice.

We've even went and bought a big bag of mac nuts at the The Whaler mini mart and sat at the bar and had Zin w/ mac nuts for dessert.

Have you been going to Kauai for all 7 yrs? I still can't figure out all the fascination with Kauai...can you?
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Hi Kal,
Yes, we've been making the long trek to Kauai every year except 2001. We went to Europe that summer during September...long story...Until 1997 we lived in the famous valley paradise of Modesto, so the trip wasn't quite as long from there.
Thanks for all the tips, we will definitely try the Sand Bar and Tradewinds, we haven't been to Coconuts yet, ran out of time last trip. I just asked Mr. what the fascination is and he just got this far away look in his eye and said,"It really isn't worth the time or trouble, if I was going to Hawaii I'd go to Maui where the action is!"
We have talked about going someplace Carribean-like since we've been back here, but the siren call is too strong, I think you know what I mean.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Kal

Mo'town!
I know it well. Part of my old territory.

After this past trip to Kauai, I'll keep telling all my friends "Go to Maui, more things to do, better night life, better weather..." That's my new mantra for '04/'05!

You're also close to Aussie Tim's BBQ located right behind Mema's.
Can't wait for the lovely Margot55 to return to see if she liked the place.

We also took in Dani's Cafe and Oki Diner in Lihue for some good breakfasts.

Kal
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 03:55 PM
gyppielou

my little darling self was born in Modesto, many many blue moons ago, so say happy happy gyppielou!!!!!!!!!