Atlanta restaurant/Cobb Centre suggestions for this weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all - hoping for some up-to-date suggestions, since a search didn't turn up very much in the last year or two, oddly enough. I'll be in Atlanta with two friends this weekend, driving down Saturday morning and leaving Sunday early afternoon. The plans include shopping at Atlantic Station (read: Ikea and H&M), seeing a show at the Cobb Centre, and staying with a friend in Dunwoody. If you have any local suggestions for the following, we'd really appreciate it!

- Lunch nearish Atlantic Station (or at least not a pain to get to); we may also go to Lenox Square, so something in Buckhead might be OK. Basically, anything where we won't be sitting in traffic, which is my greatest source of frustration with Atlanta!
- Quick dinner near the Cobb Centre (show starts at 7:30; we'll probably want to get there by 7). If we eat a big lunch, we won't need anything big.
- Sunday breakfast/brunch, ideally somewhere around the Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, etc area, but I think we could drive somewhere else if there are great options.

We're coming from Nashville, so Southern food is appreciated but not a must. We'd probably pay $20 or under for an entree, but great inexpensive places are welcomed!

Also, any tips on parking, etc for the Cobb Centre would be welcome! Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 10:32 AM

Do you mean Cobb Energy Center? If so, there is a parking deck-$9-was there recently for Carmen. Atlantic Station and Ikea are several miles apart. Not a fan myself of AS so can't recommend any restaurant there. Lunch could be at OK Cafe at West Paces Ferry and Northside drive. I should mention that Ikea can be approached easily from Northside drive. Other restaurants not far from the CobbE are Canoe and Old Vinings Inn. Friend in Dunwoody probably has brunch suggestions. My favorite place has been gone for years. Enjoy your visit!
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, nini! Yes, the whole name is the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre or something like that, so I didn't know what most people called it. But we're talking about the same thing. Ikea looks like it's at the back of Atlantic Station, but it's the only place I've ever been in that area, so I'm not so familiar with it. I appreciate the suggestions and will definitely check them out!
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 12:52 PM
yen

There are lots of great, fairly new dining options near Ikea - Cardamom Hill for Indian (this may not be open for lunch), Antico for pizza (probably the best in ATL and their oven comes from Italy), JCT Kitchen for New South, or Six Feet Under for casual seafood, although their burger is very good.

Avoid Lenox Square if you don't want to be stuck in traffic!
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, yen - those sound great! I did see Antico on another older thread, so it's good to know it's still around and good!

And I so hear you on Lenox Square - all we want to do is go to Crate & Barrel, but I went to that one last year around this time and am pretty sure my blood pressure was spiked to unhealthy levels once I made it into the store. Alpharetta is out of our way as the crow flies, but how long would it realistically take to get there from Dunwoody, and am I right thinking that the traffic would be better?
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 01:32 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Okay, my favorite place in Atlantic Station is Strip (one of the Here to Serve restaurants). Everything is good. It's one of my favorite sushi restaurants but has a very varied menu including good steaks. The sushi bar is on the second floor and I like the bar up there too. Strip overlooks the central green which has the Christmas tree and there is "snow" twice a day/night (I'm guessing that's the case again this year). LOVE Strip! I drive in to AS just to eat there. Park underneath and follow the signs to the AMC theater. It's next to the theater with the tree on the other side. Great location. If you wander around and shop you may want to duck in the lobby bar at the Twelve hotel. During the week their grape martini is just $1 - http://www.concentricshospitality.co...nt.asp?locid=5

If you don't like traffic, AS is a good choice - easy parking and lots to see/do. The first hour or so of parking is free. At the corner at 17th is a GREAT fine dining restaurant Nan with parking. If you like Thai, Malaysian food it's a great choice. Their less expensive option, Tamarind Seed, is up a few blocks at Colony Square. If you are in the Midtown area and want another choice, Gordon Beiersch, has a wide menu and great beer. You can just drive up beside it and valet park (complimentary during the week, small fee on weekends). Another one of my favorite is The Fifth Ivory at Juniper and 5th. Good place for after dinner drinks. There's usually someone playing the grand piano (sometimes it's a friend of mine) and good appetizers including pimento cheese deviled eggs and pimento cheese fritters. Dining upstairs, friendly bar with piano downstairs. Love the place.

I'd go to the nearest J Christopher's for brunch, unless you want to drive into town to the West Egg.

Don't have any suggestions for the CEC. I eat before and drive in and park in the deck.
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 02:09 PM

If you want to take public transportation to Atlantic Station take a MARTA train or bus to Arts Center station. There are free shuttles from the MARTA hub to Atlanta Station. The free shuttle goes by Dillards (where you should get off of H&M) and then makes a few other stops before going to IKEA. Contrary to what the other poster said IKEA is in Atlantic Station.

Incidently there is an H&M in the Cobb Mall.

Don't know what your interests are but my teenaged son's favorite store is in the Cobb area. We have to go to Sam Ashe whenever we are within 30 miles of ATL. He loves to drool over the guitars.

I think Atlantic Station can keep you busy though.
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 02:21 PM

As Palmetto said, IKEA is at AS, next to Target. Here's an interactive map - http://www.atlanticstation.com/shop/directory/?map=1 Move the cursor over the map to see the stores. My favorites are Z Gallerie and West Elm. Z is next to H&M.

Buckhead traffic can be crazy but not as bad as weekdays. Strip's sister restaurant is on the 2nd floor of Lenox Mall = Prime. LOVE it! Also there's a Palm nearby and they have lobster specials if you want to splurge. Dante's Down the Hatch is closing soon so it's last call at a very unique Atlanta restaurant if you want to check it out. I take out of state guests to Prime and they love it too.
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, y'all - this is great! So much to look into, and I really appreciate all of it. starrs, that map is very helpful! Palmetto, I do love public transit, but we're potentially furniture shopping at IKEA, so we'll probably want to have our car with us. I'll save that tip for another time, though!

starrs, my Sandy Springs aunt loves J. Christopher's - we almost always go when I'm in town, though a couple of weeks ago we went to the Egg Harbor Cafe instead. I think she feels a little bit bad that she likes it better. Those restaurants sound great - I'll get with my friends and see what sounds good!
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 04:52 PM

jent, I think I've mentioned it before but I really like Intaglia at Ansley. It's not inexpensive but they have really unique (and trendy) furniture and often have sales. Good prices on area rugs too when they are on sale - http://www.intagliahome.com/
Old Nov 27th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, starrs!
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 05:13 AM

How was the trip?
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Really fun! Though we didn't end up following our proposed schedule, which shouldn't have been a surprise. We ended up not getting to Atlantic Station till nearly 5 (thanks to a late start, traffic and a chatty host), so we just grabbed some dinner and did a little shopping before heading to the show. We went to Cafe Intermezzo after the show. For breakfast we went to Alon's near Perimeter (also near where we were staying), per suggestion of the friend we were staying with. Really good. One trip to Crate & Barrel and a lunch stop at Rembrandt's in Chattanooga and we were back home! Pretty much a whirlwind.

I'm headed back to Atlanta this week, so I'm keeping a file of all the suggestions!