Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Finger Lakes - September (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/finger-lakes-september-230664/)

John Jun 12th, 2002 09:46 PM

Finger Lakes - September

We're planning a trip to (among other places) Corning NY and the Finger Lakes around the middle of September. While I know you can't predict such things precisely, what are the chances of autumn color around the 15th to 20th? How about harvest activities (too late for grape harvest?) Any special seasonal or local events? How about any secret suggestions for places to stay or eat? (Your secrets are safe, I assure you.) Thanks!

Lori Jun 13th, 2002 05:28 AM

John,<BR><BR>You probably will not see great foliage color mid-September in the Finger Lakes. It doesn’t usually start to turn until a bit after that. The weather could be extremely hot, extremely cold, or somewhere inbetween. Gotta love Upstate NY weather! <BR><BR>I would highly recommend a trip to Geneva on the Lake on Seneca Lake in Geneva, NY. What an amazing place. It is, however, very pricey. But you will definitely enjoy it. If you go to Geneva, there is a great restaurant on Route 5&20 as you head toward Canandaigua. It is a Cobblestone house and serves great unique pasta. I believe the name is the Cobblestone Restaurant, but I could be wrong. Another great day trip would be to Canandaigua Lake/Kershaw Park. Kershaw Park is along the Northern tip of the lake, and is surrounded by many restaurants. If you go to Canandaigua, make sure to eat lunch at Polimeni’s and eat dinner at the Lincoln Hill Inn on East Lake Road. Phenomenal food.<BR><BR>

Grindo Jun 13th, 2002 03:48 PM

John,<BR><BR>You will probably not see much fall color, but this is a great time to go to the Finger Lakes as there will be few tourists and the weather can be very nice. I agree that Geneva is a wonderful spot to visit. The architecture of the college buildings along the lake is just beautiful. If the weather is chilly and cold, go to the Corning Glass Museum, well worth a visit. But, if the weather is nice, stay outdoors and enjoy the beauty of the countryside.

John Jun 13th, 2002 08:27 PM

Thanks, Lori and Grindo. Actually the Corning MOG is one of the main reasons for the trip. <BR><BR>Appreciate the suggestions so far. Any more?

John Jun 17th, 2002 10:02 AM

Topping this 'cause I'm greedy.

Owen O'Neill Jun 17th, 2002 10:47 AM

I lived in Ithaca from 1990-1994 and had my faves for dining at the time but have been advised in a recent chowhound.com discussion that some have declined, particularly Thai Cuisine which was once outstanding. On the bright side... Renee's Bistro is gone but replaced by a nouvelle cuisine place called Willow that is reputed to be very good. The dining room at the Statler Hotel (Cornell's Hotel & restaurant management school facility) occasionally has visits from and special menus byt superstar chefs. When these happen they are said to be great experiences at a very good price (relative to what you get). Hiking Cascadilla Gorge is always fun and is a beautiful sight (and site!). Start at the bottom next to the Universalist church and walk up. Ignore the signs that say the trail is closed - everybody walks it and that's just Cornell's way of avoiding liability issues (don't wear smooth shoes - it is a trifle slippery in places). Purity Ice Cream and Ithaca Bakery are both a must - near each other on Rte 13. Also be sure to get sticky buns for breakfast from Home Dairy on the Commmons - they're incredible and better than you've ever had. Silver Bird Espresso has good coffee drinks - get your buns and latte and just hang on the Commons for breakfast - nice way to start the day. Walking the gorge at Watkins Glen is also a must - the town is a small and touristy with no real appeal for me but the gorge is incredible. While you're there grab lunch at hte BBQ place. It doesn't have a name but is a mile or two past the gorge entrance on the same road, on the left. It's a small shack with a few outdoor picnic tables and a covered BBQ pit. Look for the big plywood chicken and you'll know you're there. As mentioned by others, it's unlikely that you'll see any color as you're about a month too early but it is a great time to visit and you're likely to have temperate weather. As for lodging... I have little experience to draw on but a friend visiting me once stayed at Buttermil Fallls B&B just outside Ithaca. Really like it and the lady who runs it is very cool.

rast Jun 17th, 2002 12:10 PM

whatever you do DO NOT STAY in a B&B named "Gone With The Wind"....it is weird and strange and not good either