Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Finger Lakes Cottage (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/finger-lakes-cottage-263522/)

mjks Oct 5th, 2002 02:28 PM

Finger Lakes Cottage

We are interested in renting a cottage for 1 week at either Canadaguia or Keuka Lake,Aug.2003, Anyone with any info??? Thanks!

Rae Oct 5th, 2002 03:53 PM

Try the Rochester Chamber of Commerce. They should have listings of available places around the finger lakes. contact any of the relators IE: Nothnages or Rick Leasure and they should have listings.

Owen O'Neill Oct 5th, 2002 05:15 PM

just a simple bit of advice - if you like afternoon sunshine (or sunshine in general) opt for a place on the East shore of the lake. Most of the Finger lakes have relatively steep hills rising up from the shore in many areas and cottages on the western sides get only morning sun. Eastern side gets sun all afternoon into early evening and a nice sunset.

Kathy Oct 5th, 2002 07:57 PM

i just have to say that Owen gives the best advice. What a great piece of info to have in his last post.

xx Oct 17th, 2002 02:31 PM

Owen sucks. He is a Mr. Know it all. To be honest with you I think Owen is a travel agent and is trying to get some business. Look at all of the posts - he is certainly well traveled?

zz Oct 17th, 2002 02:34 PM

You said a mouth full!!!!!!

Judy Oct 17th, 2002 02:41 PM

I've read some of Owen's posts and find them to be quite informative. Thank goodness we have some nice people who post on these boards. It does seem, tho, that there's a lot of nasties coming out of the woodwork lately.<BR><BR>We just returned from a great trip to the Finger Lakes and there's a site for Fingerlakes.com that you might try. We stayed on Lake Seneca up at Geneva on the lake and it was everything we hoped for. We ate at the castle (yes, a real castle there). Glenora Winery has opened an inn on the western side of the lake that looked beautiful cause we stopped to try their wines and decided to have lunch too. There are many cyber sites for the lakes and I'm sure you'll find a nice cottage. Enjoy the lakes.<BR><BR>Bad mouth xxx - turn your pc off and take a pill!!

Cheryl Oct 18th, 2002 04:59 AM

Owen provides accurate advice regarding looking for a place on the east side of the lake if you would like to have sun for the better part of the day.

L Oct 18th, 2002 08:19 AM

Be advised that the East Side of Canandaigua Lake has a lot of seaweed. If that bothers you, you may want to try the West Side. The West side is much more upscale (with HUGE homes) but I do believe the East Side has more cottages for rent. Try Bristol Hills Realty for rentals.

Cindy Oct 18th, 2002 04:26 PM

Hope you don't mind jet skiis roaring around 24 hours a day. Also, bring water shoes because the zebra mussels are so bad that they'll cut you to shreds. Go to the Adirondacks - I think the Finger Lakes are wrecked (unless you happen to own one of the $3 million houses on one of them...).