Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Mt. Evans Scenic and Historic Byway from Idaho Springs

Old May 14th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we pass through Idaho Springs next month, will it be worth our while to make a detour for this drive?

HTTY
Old May 14th, 2011, 09:51 AM

If this is the road to the top of Mt. Evans, we did it last year and it was pretty outstanding.
Old May 14th, 2011, 12:16 PM

Great mountain road, lots of wildlife and grand views .I think they say highest mountain road in lower48, not continuous, however. That honor goes to Trail Ridge. Also very old Bristlecone pines along the way. Check out Echo lake and Summit Lake on the way to the to top, both are in beautiful, but different, settings.

Linda
Old May 14th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the guidance.
This drive is now inked into my itinerary.

HTTY
Old May 15th, 2011, 08:18 AM

I agree with the other posts. My only caution would be for you to take into account any medical or physical condition issues you might have. The road climbs to about 14,000 feet and the air is a little thin up there. Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated, and wear a long sleeve shirt and a hat with a generous brim. The reason for the last two are at that altitude, the sun's rays can cause damage more quickly and more severely than at lower altitudes. It also can be significantly cooler than it is on the valley floor at Idaho Springs.

It's a beautiful drive and the outlook from the peak is about as good as it gets in the lower 48. You just need to take the sensible precautions the altitude imposes.
Old May 15th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the warning. We will be prepared.
Old May 16th, 2011, 07:47 PM

The road to the top of Mt. Evans should be open, but snow (even in early June) can close it. There is a National Forest information office right at that I-70 exit, just to the south of the eastbound exit ramp. Check with them. If the road is closed, or only open to Echo Lake, forget it and do something else. There is a fee to continue up past Echo Lake all the way to the summit. The parking lot at the top is still about 150 vertical feet short of the actual summit. A switchback foot trail takes you from the parking lot to the summit. Be aware that you are walking this short hike at 14,000 feet above sea level.

From the summit you can look east at the expanse of the Great Plains and the city of Denver way down below. To the north look for 14,259 foot Longs Peak way up in Rocky Mountain National Park. To the south is Pikes Peak. To the southwest is the flat expanse of South Park. Less than a mile to the west is 14,065 foot Mt. Bierstadt. Further to the west are the side-by-side 14,278 Gray's Peak and 14,275 Torrey's Peak - the two highest points on the continental divide in the United States. And on a clear day, if you have a pair of binoculars (or can borrow some from another person on the peak) look far to the distant west beyond Gray's and Torrey's for the distinctive cross on the northeast facing slope of 14,009 foot Mount of the Holy Cross west of Vail.