Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Few Hours in Kauai (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/few-hours-in-kauai-385812/)

hokiegirl Jun 27th, 2008 09:37 AM

Few Hours in Kauai

I am flying from Maui to Kauai (my flight home is based out of here) on my last day of vacation. I will about 5 hours in Kauai. Is there anything we can do/see for that short of time and near the airport (so we don't have to rent a car for only 5 hours)??

beatofhawaii_com Jun 27th, 2008 11:57 AM

Hmmm. Simplest might be to take a cab to the beach (perhaps at the nearby Marriott)?

I'm not sure what you have in mind (hang out at a beach or see a part of the island), or how much you want to spend on cabs. Cab drivers here love to do tours and you can negotiate your own deal. See how much time you have. You might even get them to take you for a north shore tour. But be forewarned, if you do, you'll definitely be back.

Aloha, beatofhawaii.com

Marginal Jun 27th, 2008 01:48 PM

There isn't much to see in the airport area.

iamq Jun 27th, 2008 02:08 PM

Hmmm. It's not scenic and certainly wouldn't give you an overview of the island, but if it were me, I'd hop a cab and make a beeline for Hamura's Saimin in Lihue for pigfest of saimin, skewers, fried wonton and tempura shrimp and lilikoi pie.

Songdoc Jun 27th, 2008 04:41 PM

I'd take the taxi (less than 15 minutes) to Lydgate Park and go for a nice relaxing walk -- and maybe even a swim. There are benches with lovely views where you could sit.

Or, if you enjoy walking, do the long walk along the beautiful beach from Hilton Kauai Beach Resort to Lydgate Park.

Then, cancel your flight and stay two more weeks in Kauai :-)

Kal Jun 27th, 2008 07:00 PM

Do that walk AND THEN go to Hamura's!
<i>Poifect</i>

dolciani Jun 28th, 2008 05:03 AM

I would take the helicopter tour of the island - you have time. The tours, however, do not take off from this airport. Make reservations before you go and take a cab to the helicopter base (near the south shore). It's worth it!

Songdoc Jun 28th, 2008 05:14 AM

Actually, there are helicopter tours that leave from very close to the airport. I haven't done that, but if the weather's right, I hear it's fantastic.

ncounty Jun 28th, 2008 07:06 AM

Kal! :))

I'll add that word to my repertoire when I'm in hawaii.

Kal Jun 29th, 2008 12:40 PM

...no..that would be &quot;<i>puhfeck, yah</i>&quot;.

ncounty Jun 29th, 2008 01:30 PM

Oh, I can hear that....that can work as well. I'll work on the accent, :).

iceeu2 Jun 29th, 2008 03:38 PM

What time of the day will you be on Kauai, hokiegirl? If it's around mealtime, go over to the Marriott and have a bite to eat and drink at Duke's or one of the other restaurants in the area. Stroll the grounds of the Marriott and kick back and relax on their beach. There is a little shopping mall at Kalapaki beach where you could pick up last minute souvenirs if you need to do so.

hokiegirl Jul 1st, 2008 11:38 AM

I fly back to Kauai around 2:30 and then my flight back to the states is at 8pm.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

lcuy Jul 1st, 2008 01:43 PM

of course you mean your &quot;flight back to the mainland states&quot;, don't you?

You will already be &quot;in the states&quot; while on Kauai!

;-)
Sorry..Those of us in the 50th State sometimes feel forgotten...

Kal Jul 1st, 2008 04:24 PM

hahahaha....

forgive hokiegirl, lcuy, because she is probably from Virginia.

I don't have a joke for that but hey...it's late and I'm hot.

lcuy Jul 1st, 2008 07:05 PM

Ohh, Virginia. That explains it.

=D&gt;

Kal Jul 1st, 2008 07:29 PM

:))

hokiegirl Jul 2nd, 2008 06:13 AM

I should know better actually since my family is from Oahu. They'd be so disappointed in me.
That's what happens when I'm sneaking onto the message boards while working at the same time.

Kal Jul 2nd, 2008 06:47 AM

:-O Does that happen????

iamq Jul 2nd, 2008 06:54 AM

Public employees are exempted, aren't they Kal?