Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fess Parker's Doubletree Resort in Santa Barbara

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 10:40 AM
MaureenB

Anyone have any recent experience with this resort? I have read mixed reviews elsewhere. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on it.

It has the amenities and location my sisters and I want for our girls' get-away. But I've read some people have had out-dated rooms recently that weren't even very clean.

Thanks!

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maureen - I was hoping someone who had stayed there a little more recently than I would answer but since you've had no replies, I'll give you my experience. I was there a little over a year ago for a convention. Although I had no choice in my accommadations, I did check out tripadvisor for fun and also saw mixed reviews so I was a little concerned especially about the cleanliness issue. My room was just fine, very clean and maybe a little outdated but it seems like they have been doing renovations in 2004. Recent tripadvisor reports look good. The location is great. You can walk along the ocean and there are restaurants as you get closer to State Street. If you are there on the weekend, they have artists and vendors who display their goods. I had a pool/garden view which was fine, don't think I 'd pay for the ocean view. Also, make sure your room isn't by the railroad tracks and you should enjoy your trip.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 07:01 AM
MaureenB

Thanks for replying, Paula. The train noise sounds annoying, so that's good to know. And I will call the hotel directly and find out about its renovation schedule. Anyone else?

Old Jan 21st, 2005, 07:07 AM

Maureen - I meant to say that the artists and vendors display their merchandise in the grassy area along the beach-not at the hotel. I only mentioned the train because people on tripadvisor complained about it and I did hear one person mention it while I was there. All I saw was that the back rooms looked over a parking lot. I believe the train tracks are on the other side of the parking lot but I didn't even know they were there until I heard them mentioned.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 11:17 AM
MaureenB

I'm still wondering... anyone else??

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 03:27 PM
lvk

My experience at the Fess Parker resort is over 4 years old, so I can't help you with the current room conditions. However, we did like the location -- a pleasant oceanfront walk to the wharf an into town. We also liked the fact that you could rent bikes right at the property.

I just wanted to add an additional FYI about coastal Santa Barbara hotels, in general. If you look very closely at a map of the area, you'll see that the train tracks hug the coast pretty closely until you get north of the SB train station. Therefore, all coastal properties will have some level of train noise. Of course, you would hope that some of the better hotels would have better soundproofing, but there are no guarantees.

I second the recommendation for the art walk on weekends. Enjoy!
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 04:39 PM

Forget the Fess Parker. The Harbor View Inn is an upscape immaculate hotel across the street from the warf. It has lush grounds and isn't as sprawling as the Fess. Seems more intimate. Our room was large with a nice raised patio. Pool area is gorgious. Walked by the Fess and was glasd we stayed at the harbor View. We've stayed there the past 3 years. No continental breakfast, though.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 05:04 PM
MaureenB

knute, thanks for the comparison. I have looked at 'net photos of the Harbor View and it looks like the pool area is directly above the street, and another street comes along the side. I'm not sure if that's how it is, but I think that wouldn't be very pleasant.
Can you please describe the pool and its surrounding area? One thing I like about the Doubletree is that it IS a relatively large 24-acre resort, not just a hotel or an inn all by itself. Because I don't plan on sightseeing per se, just catching up, taking walks on the grounds and the beach, and relaxing together. Do you know about the condition of the Doubletree's interior nowadays? Or anything else about it?
And thanks for the train heads-up, lvk. I've heard people complain, so it's good to know it's not just the Doubletree that has this noise problem.

Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:02 PM

The street situation at the harbor View never really affected us at all. The pool area and ground just seem to be a world all their own. They have a great website at harborviewinnsb.com with 360 degree motion shots of everything and it really was a nice as depicted. All I know is we stayed there the past 3 years and had 3 different rooms and all were large and comfortable with best pool area I've seen.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 07:12 PM

Hello Maureen,
I just caught your note this evening.
Spouse and I recently spent a night at Fess Parker's Doubletree Inn last month in March. This is our third visit to FPs. We like this hotel very much as we travel w/our dogs when in the area and this hotel is very pet friendly. We find the rooms very large and comfortable and very accomodating for all. We are usually driving when we visit the Santa Barbara area and we find it very conventient to park our car just outside our room. The ground floor units have a small patio, 2 chairs; upstairs rooms are balconies. On occasion, we have stayed in room in back area and have never been bothered by lack of sleep when the train comes through once during the night. The location is ideal, close to the beautiful palm lined park/beach right across the street. The wharf is only a few blocks away right on the main st where State St. begins.
The open coffee shop is located right in the lobby area. There is also a fine dining rest. The grounds of the hotel are very beautiful. Palm trees and bouginvilla abound!
Additionally,Upon check-in, and on the house, you are handed the most scrumptious warmed choc chip cookies you will ever taste.
Good luck with your choice of hotels.
Best, Francie
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 07:31 AM
MaureenB

Thank you very much, francie, for your report on your recent visit. I have booked it in September for my sisters and I. My biggest hesitation stemmed from some very nasty reviews on tripadvisor.com. But thanks to your input and others, I'm feeling confident about it. Can't wait for our girls' get-away.

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 02:24 PM

Maureen,
I can't imagine people giving nasty reviews about this property, but that's what makes the world go around as they say. Different strokes for different folks.
Mr. F. Parker was on the premises the day we checked in, but unable to see him at that time. Aside, FP also owns a beautiful VictorianWine Country Inn elsewhere in Los Olivos run by his family.
Also, try to take a drive up north and visit the many shops at Danish Village one day to Solvang, about an hour's drive from SB. Beautiful drive. We love to eat lunch at `Bit of Sweden,` across the street from large bakery. Solvang celebrates their annual Danish Days in September. Be prepared for crowds if you go at this time.
Okay, enjoy yourselves!
Regards, Francie

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 04:11 PM

Don't you mean Frass Canyon?.....
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 05:46 PM

That was a name coined by the producer of the movie. Origin of "frass" is very interesting.
Old May 26th, 2005, 08:12 PM

Yes, I know.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 06:55 AM
MaureenB

Just posting to say we really enjoyed our stay at the Fess Parker Doubletree in Santa Barbara. We had a "deluxe queen oceanside room", which was a nice large rectangular room, with a sitting area at the end of the room near the sliding door. The sitting area had a love seat and a granite topped desk, and two chairs, with plenty of floor space in the room overall for the three of us. The decorations looked maybe two years old, and were fine.
The bathroom is a GREAT set-up for multiple adults, also. One sink is in the room with the toilet and tub/shower. Another sink is outside that door. So two people can do make-up and hair at the same time. A big advantage when three sisters get-away!
Best feature was the very large tiled patio overlooking the ocean. If you go, ask for a second floor oceanview, so you don't look directly at the street. It seems all Santa Barbara resorts are separated from the beach by Cabrillo Blvd., so you have to accept that. But if you're on the second floor, you look over the tile roof and directly at the ocean, not the passing cars. Our patio was big enough to have two large lounge chairs, two regular chairs, a small table and a large umbrella. It was much larger than most I saw there, and exactly what we'd hoped to have.
The location of the resort is great, as you can easily walk along the path at the beach, and to the harbor restaurants. There's a nice produce store around the corner, too. We rented bikes at the resort, which made for a great half-day of fun with a picnic at the beach.
They charge $5/day for parking, which is a bit silly as their parking lot is huge and really should be free. But maybe having unlimited free chocolate chip cookies makes up for that... Also, a free shuttle to and from the airport, which made my trip easier (and cheaper).
The pool area is quite nice, though we didn't use it. Towels and shade are plentiful there and it looked very well-kept.
Service was very good, too. So, I'd give this resort four out of five stars, for sure.
(Lots of weddings and other events are held there. Everywhere you looked, there was another bride! I guess September is big for outdoor events, as so little rain is expected then.)