Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   ferrys and car rental (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ferrys-and-car-rental-487533/)

snorky Nov 23rd, 2004 05:52 PM

ferrys and car rental

I just saw a posting from Wildflower on Valdez hikes about rental cars and ferry. I have called all the national rental agencies locally in alaska and they all say they don't allow rental cars on ferry. I then contacted a local writer from Frommers Alaska and he said he had never heard of that rule and that if there was one that nobody must follow it.The ferry system said the only one that knew that allowed it was Avis but I contacted Avis and they said they do not allow this either. Wildflower stated that the rental car companies have tracking devices.We already got reservations on the ferry from Valdez to Whittier because thought would be much beter than retracing our path on land, but wouldn"t want to risk putting a big damper on vacation if something were to happen and would find ourselves without coverage. Can anyone please help and enlighten me about the whole issue since hearing so many diff things. Thanks!!

dwooddon Nov 23rd, 2004 06:04 PM

I don't know what anyone could tell you on this board that would make the problem go away for you. If the local car rental offices tell you its a violation of their policy, it seems to me the only place to go to see if that is correct or if the rule can be waived would be the main office of that company.

Even if it were OK last week, car rental contracts change and you will be bound by the written policy and contract terms you accept when you rent the car.

ceejay_ky Nov 23rd, 2004 07:29 PM

Hey snorky, did you talk to Alamo in Anchorage? That's who we've reserved with. Hope we don't have to nix the ferry - it sounded like fun!!!

Our travel partners for this trip are from the Phoenix area. Where are you? Email me for a private conversation [email protected] but remove the dot between my first and last name.

BudgetQueen Nov 24th, 2004 04:00 AM

At this point, my sources verify the banning of rental cars on the ferry. I would never have reserved this early anyway?? I would attempt to cancel and perhaps keep in contact with the agencies and determine if there will be waivers? One reason being- the parking issue on the ferry and damages, perhaps because the stack the cars up??? This is also at least second hand information. Myself- I would not take the car on in violation, but plenty of people drive the unpaved roads in violation?? Perhaps they are clamping down? Another option would be to look at some independents and see if they allow the usage?

Incognito Nov 24th, 2004 05:59 AM

Maybe we all should contact TV stations and newspapers in Alaska. This is a crazy news but it is a real one. Whoa came up with this new idea and what motivated car rental companyies to implement such stupid rules? If rentals cars are not allowed on a ferry who is going to take a ferry? Only RVs but not everyone wants to drive RV and who would stay in all those wonderful B&Bs if we all are going to drive RVs. I just called Alamo and they said the same thing. What should we do? What are you going to do?

Gardyloo Nov 24th, 2004 07:13 AM

I emailed DOTPF/AMHS asking them if they're aware of the matter and what steps they're taking to engage the rental car companies. This represents a serious hit to the State, and at a time when they're shelling out major shekels for new ferries aimed directly at the tourist trade. I'll advise if I hear anything back.

snorky Nov 24th, 2004 06:27 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback.I was so bummed out about this and just getting the run around from everyone that was hard to know who really knew the facts. Gardyloo great idea for emailing them . Would think they're going to have alot of empty ferrys and major cost to pay for the new faster ones. .. Right now I,m still sitting on the reservation cause can cancel within 2 weeks of date and only be charged $10.oo cancellation because of the vehicle.

Gardyloo Nov 24th, 2004 07:46 PM

I got a response from AMHS this afternoon:

<i>...Ultimately it is up to the individual rental car companies to
decide if they are going to allow their vehicles on the ferry system.
I'm sure that there are some liability concerns with the rental car
companies as we assume no liability for damage to vehicles. I have
forwarded your e-mail to Captain Xxxx Xxxxxx the General Manager and
Xxxxxx Xxxxxx for review.</i>

So we'll see...

snorky Nov 25th, 2004 01:33 PM

Ceejay ky

Tried e-mailing you but it wouldn't transmit.My email is [email protected] if you'd like to try.This is about all the activity I can handle right now after stuffing myself,but can't help it at thanksgiving!

mollynandy Dec 6th, 2004 04:09 AM

This thread got me wondering what the policy was for the car rental place we used in Anchorage, so I e-mailed them.
They said &quot;No, this isn't the case for High Country Car and Truck Rentals. You are permitted to take our cars on the ferry.&quot;
They're prices were great! Much cheaper than the big name places.
Here is some contact info on them:
http://www.carrentalexpress.com/agen...ofile_838.html
1-888-685-1155
Hopefully this info will help someone out there.
Molly

Julie304 Dec 11th, 2004 08:12 AM

You might also try Affordable New Car Rental in Anchorage. We used them last July, as they were one of the only agencies we could find that allowed their vehicles on the Denali Highway (which is unpaved). I'm not sure about the ferry policy, but I'm pretty sure it was allowed last summer when we did it. Initially, I was a bit leery about renting from an independent but our experience with them was good and we had no problems.

rickd Dec 12th, 2004 04:48 PM

I called 6 national rental companies today and 5 of the 6 told me they do not have a problem with cars going on the ferry from Whittier to Valdez. Those were Alamo,Budget,National,
Payless and Thrifty. I'm not sure where the idea of not using the ferry is coming from but it appears most national car rental companies are not taking that stand right now. When it comes to driving the Denali Hwy that's a differnet story only Payless told me that it was permissible at my own risk.

Incognito Dec 13th, 2004 12:14 AM

rickd, did you call these agencies directly in Anchorage? Check their websites and read their rules before accusing fodorites of making up their own rules

Gardyloo Jan 17th, 2005 11:54 AM

Topping because I got an email reply today from a senior official at the ferry system saying that two of the biggest car rental companies (think OJ and trying harder) said they have no issues with their rental cars on the ferries, so this sounds like a false alarm or else the companies smelled the coffee real quick.

towers1 Jan 17th, 2005 12:20 PM

All of the talk about rental cars not being allowed on the ferry in Alaska is not true. I called both Avis and Hertz on 1//17/05 and neither one has even heard of this policy.

Come to Alaska and enjoy your vacation on the Alaska Marine Highway System. Make a reservation at WWW.FerryAlaska.Com

Thanks

Pat2003 Jan 18th, 2005 03:32 AM

I reserved our rental car in November and there was a statement &quot;no cars allowed on the ferry.&quot; After reading this post I checked my reservation just minutes ago. Guess what, there is no such statement anymore.
Looks as Gardyloo got it right:

'or else the companies smelled the coffee real quick.'